Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • HTC Hero – what next?
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Hi

My contract is about to end on a Hero and Im waiting for an offer I cant refuse from my network 🙂

The thing is Im not sure what to follow it with
    I really like the Android stuff, plus Ive been using the Google online bits for years – this was a biggy for me in not getting an iPhone to start with, its just so easy for me with Android

So as I see it my choices are:

Carry on with a SIM only deal – prob my first choice

Upgrade to a Desire HD
    The things that bug me with the Hero are the camera and lack of flash
    On the other hand the Desire HD feels more like jewellery than the Hero and Im not sure I can trust myself not to trash it. I hate cases/wallets, my Hero has a screen protector and a neoprene backing and is chucked in pockets, backpacks, jerseys etc as well as dropped regularly
    I also like the Hero form factor and size too, I dont see the Desire fitting in a pair of Levis and letting me sit down comfortably

So as I seem to have talked myself out of a Desire HD it has to be the next big thing!
    Which Ive Googled and drawn a blank

What new Android phones are around the corner if anyone knows and will they be worth waiting for?

And the iPhone 5?
    Id have to at least think about it even if I almost certainly wont want to spend that much cash
    What do we know about this little fella?

Cheers

J0N
    Free Member

Hi, Hero here myself and I’ll be able to renew in May, However I’ll be waiting till 3rd or 4th quarter.
    I’m not fully up to speed just now but I know there are some serious power house phones coming out middle of the year and onwards. Duel core LG optimus being the first and HTC are readying one as well but may be nearer the end of the year.
    If you cant wait then the Nexus S Galaxy S which its based on are still some of the best phones and the Nexus S will probably be best supported by updates. I’d wait.

World Mobile Conference is in the next couple of weeks so keep and eye on the web and see if anything catches your eye.

Cougar

I’d avoid anything that has both “Samsung” and “Android” on it, for reasons well documented elsewhere on the forum.

If you can get one cheap, the original Desire is a worthy upgrade to the Hero. I wouldn’t pay a huge amount though, and I wouldn’t want a long contract. The Desire HD is a bigger, faster Desire with the new Sense 2 UI on it, but not really a paradigm shift from the old Desire. There’s quite a few new phones in the pipeline too, though of course they’ll be very expensive on release.

I’d be tempted to go SIM + data for a bit, personally. Speaking of which, I need to ring O2 and do the same with my Desire until they release something that’s worth me selling a kidney to upgrade to.

beaker

I was in your position last week. Contract was up for renewal. Thought my Hero was an excellent phone and wanted a Desire. Orange offered a Wildfire or a Sony X10 mini. I phoned up asked for my PAC number, when asked why I explained and lo and behold I got a Desire. It’s an excellent phone by the way.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Legend is very similar form factor to a Hero. Runs 2.2 but processor is a little slower than a Desire. Looks much better though with a metal body rather than plastic

willard

The Wildfire is a bit small in the screen. Well, the resolution is anyway. My wife has one and it’s a great little phone, but it just looks a little dated when you do anything on it when compared with my iPhone 3Gs.

Cougar

If you’re looking at a Wildfire, consider a San Francisco. They’re cheaper and better.

Not wholly convinced it’s an upgrade from the Hero though.

Cougar

Thought my Hero was an excellent phone and wanted a Desire. Orange offered a Wildfire or a Sony X10 mini. I phoned up asked for my PAC number

Actually laughed out loud at that. Good man.

O2 used to have a similarly tenuous grasp on the definition of the word “upgrade” but they seem to have got a bit of a clue in recent years. I used to have the Stellar (TyTN II in all but name, big Windows Mobile smartphone jobbie) and they’d send me letters offering to upgrade me to a Nokia 3210. Oo-kay…

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Apol’s for the thread resurrection

I walked into CW today for a sniff and they have quite lidderally got in 5 HTC Incredibles
    They look pretty sweet

The salesman didnt seem to know much other than they were ‘new’ but the specs look promising
    He reckoned it was as good as a Desire HD but smaller – which is what I want

Googling just throws up a US spec Incredible from last year and some rumours of its release here from a year ago too

The shop guy really did seem surprised that they had landed unexpectedly

Anyone know anything more?

loddrik
    Free Member

I’m am iPhoner but if I had to have an android handset the forthcoming galaxy s 2 looks interesting.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Have a look at HTC’s website, they show some very good phones coming up ‘soon’.
    My contract ends in a fortnight, but i’m going to wait until Android 3.0 comes out one one of those new phones in a few months. If prices are too high for me, i’ll just get the Desire HD as hopefully its price will drop.

spacemonkey

Had a Hero until I lost it last summer. Insurance claim = HD2, which had a fantastic screen and a few Windows bells n whistles but nothing else. Switched to an iPhone 4 within weeks. By far the most “all round” capable phone on the market by far IMO.

But that’s based on me having something like 75+ apps, most of which I use pretty regularly. Android app store doesn’t have nearly the breadth of choice to match, nor the quality or level of polish/functionality.

Having said that, if you don’t want the extra capability (and expense) of an iPhone, then stick with Android or check out the HD7. The iPhone, IMO, is not great when used “just as phone”.

Loads of good phones out there – and each to their own of course.

rOcKeTdOg

. I phoned up asked for my PAC number, when asked why I explained and lo and behold I got a Desire

i do this at the end of every contract, you have to say the magic words “i’m leaving” without this (calls are recorded of course) the operative can’t offer you anything (it’s the phone company rules) say it though and they’ll be very accomodating

hero contract up in April, hoping to see a dual core phone with android 2.3 or better by then

doc_blues
    Free Member

just bought the other half a san fransisco from orange – rooted it and installed a new os so it got rid of ll the orange guff – love it – going to switch away from my ifruit asap to an android and this model despuite being basic is seriously tempting- not only is it smooth and quick, its a nicer os to use and i like the form factor alot (small, slim etc)

iamsporticus
    Free Member

rocketdog

Any info on the dual core Android phones?
    What else is about to hit besides the HTC Pyramid?

Although Im still concerned any upgrade will be bigger, heavier and less sturdy than my much abused Hero….

And anyone up for a separate best deal/retentions thread for mobile contracts?

Theres one on Moneysaving expert but Id be keen to see what a bunch of tight fisted, IT obsessed middle aged men can negotiate themselves 🙂

Cheers!!

PS Current HTC Hero, no cost for phone, 800 mins talk, unlimited text, 3GB data, 18 month contract, £25 per month

stanfree
    Free Member

I am considering keeping my sim and either getting a Orange san francisco or a LG Optimus android as they are both only around £90 and probably miles better than my old HTC touch 2…

DavidB
    Free Member

Are there any Android phones with decent flip out keyboards?…please don’t say Sony Xperia, it’s poo.

Desire Z is supposed to be good DavidB

the_lecht_rocks

DHD here….. Neoprene for MTB and Commute…..Brilliant

nickname
    Free Member

I’d grab a Google Nexus S or Samsung Galaxy S2 if available.

I’ve had a go on the Nexus S and it’s beautiful 🙂

Cougar

Desire Z is very cool, but worth noting that it’s lower spec than the Desire HD (and perhaps the Desire Classic too).

Orange San Fran is *very* good for the money.

Obligatory “avoid Samsung Android phones” comment.

Cougar

Anyone know anything more?

There’s an Incredible S and Desire S in the pipeline. Didn’t know either were out though – thought it was a few months off yet. The Incredible S is very distinctive, it’s a lumpy bugger.

donsimon
    Free Member

I had a play with the Samsung dual core a couple of weeks ago and it seems pretty special to me, but I imagine it’ll be too big for your needs. Depending on the apps I’ll be able to get I think I’ll jump to the Samsung when my current contract is up.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘HTC Hero – what next?’ is closed to new replies.