Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • ht2 bb bearing replacement saga: rubber seal/top hat or no?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

following on from my thread a week or so back, i’ve now dismantled the existing cups and bought some replacement 6805 rubber shelded bearings.

the new bearings, as i’ve seen mentioned a few times, are 1mm wider than the standard shimano ones. so having left the rubber shields which i’m guessing will give me better protection i’ve pressed one into a cup.

do you also then use the shimano rubber shield (which due to the extra width i cannot get to sit under the lip as before) and what about the top hat, is that also still required now that the bearing is 1mm wider?

imp999
    Free Member

The top hat inside Dia matches the crank shaft and the outside Dia matches the Shimano bearing’s inner Dia. So, how does your crank shaft fit into your new bearings? If tight then you cannot use the top hat (so Shimano seals are also redundant) if loose then you need the top hat.
    Because of the extra 1mm it is difficult to know where the bearings will be loaded when you tighten up the non drive crank arm with the shimano seal in place. You might have to leave it out. I think you will have to try it and see.
    Correct width bearings with seals would have been better, if they exist.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘ht2 bb bearing replacement saga: rubber seal/top hat or no?’ is closed to new replies.