Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • HT11 chainset removal
  • Pook

just a quick check

1- BB cap off
    2- crank bolts loosen
    3- crank off
    4- chainset out; eased with a rubber mallet?

midlifecrashes

Think you need to swap 1 & 2, if you mean BB cap = plastic bearing preload cap thingy. Also watch out for the flippy out plastic shim peg thing too on XTs

steveh

Loosen bolts then remove cap or it's very tight. If you leave the little plastic spacer/security thing in between the bolts you might need to flick that out too before they'll come off. I always use a rubber mallet to get mine out/off.

Pook

it's the rubber mallet bit I don't like. the chainset seems quite free rotation wise, but quite firm laterally. Needs a hefty whack to shift it.

sweepy
    Free Member

If it didnt need a whack then you wouldnt need the mallet

foxyrider
    Free Member

Look at my article on HTII servicing – its a road crankset but same principles 🙂

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/shimano-ultegra-hollowtech-ii-crank-service.htm

Mister-P
    Free Member

Just hit it Pook.

bigyinn
    Free Member

foxyrider, are you on commission for the number of hits on your how tos? :lol:Thats the second one i've seen linked to today (the other being hope bearing replacements)

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

it's the rubber mallet bit I don't like. the chainset seems quite free rotation wise, but quite firm laterally. Needs a hefty whack to shift it.

Fail to see why it has to be whacked – push out using palm of your hand – no problem. Ive done mine twice over the last 3 weeks – once to remove after being on my bike something like forever – and again this weekend – came out nicely both times.

Pook

it has to be whacked cos mine's too tight in.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Dont worry, mine is quite a push on one of my bikes.
    I think its the top hats can be a little tight. Just hit it firmly and you'll be fine. What could possibly go wrong?

foxyrider
    Free Member

@bigyinn – not I'm not unfortunately and I do it for free – Was just tryin' to be helpful 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Sorry it was meant to be tongue in cheek, sorry if it came across any other way. Smilie fail!

BadlyWiredDog

What could possibly go wrong?

If it's a CK BB it could take the whole top hat assembly and outer bearing race off with the cranks exposing the bearings – but there's not much you can do about that bar putting it back together with more grease so it doesn't happen next time. Don't ask how I know etc…

foxyrider
    Free Member

Sorry it was meant to be tongue in cheek, sorry if it came across any other way. Smilie fail!

No fail there bigyinn – I think my post failed – did not take it in a bad way at all 😀

tinsy
    Free Member

Foxyrider, a nice article, do you re rebuild your BB yourself or buy new ones?

Not mine but a great money saver.

http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=24:drivechain&id=35:shimano-hollowtech-ii-bottom-bracket-bearing-replacement&Itemid=9

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yeh read that one tinsy – nice – I tend to re-grease until dead then bin then get a hope 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

I've got a SS HTII cups which i've put in some cheapo bearings (£1.60ea) just to see how long it lasts.
    If it proves sucessful, im going to get my XT cups machined (family member works for machine shop) 1mm deeper (Shim BBs use / used 6mm rather than 7mm deep bearings) so i can reuse them with freely available 6805 2RS / 6180-5 2RS bearings.

tinsy
    Free Member

bigyinn, there seems to be some discrepancy on the Shimano cups, some are suited and use 7mm bearings already, I dont know if something changed since its introduction, but some are 6mm some are 7mm but I couldnt tell you what years and models are what…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘HT11 chainset removal’ is closed to new replies.