Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • How would you become Scottish?
  • perchypanther
    Free Member

How would you become Scottish?

Am urr. TJ isny.

Nico
    Free Member

We might reduce the requirements a little if you are sufficiently ginger

Not ginger at all is sufficiently ginger.

If bills are being paid how do they know you are not resident?

If you are paying your bills it will be obvious that you aren’t Scottish.

tjagain

PP – Its “isnae”

Nico
    Free Member

Rayban – british is not an ethnic group – its a nationality. anglo saxon would be the equivalent.

Only if you are separating the Scots from the Picts etc. Scots are part of the grouping currently known as BAME as the are minority ethnic within the UK. As a caucasian myself I’m thinking of moving back to the Caucasus and re-establishing my right to citizenship, though I could become Indian as I am Aryan according to one school of thought currently out of favour.

steve_b77
    Free Member

What about if one of your parents is Scottish, would it be a simple process then?

perchypanther
    Free Member

PP – Its “isnae”

Naw it isny.

tjagain

Its was made fairly clear during the scottish referendum that the SNPs view of citizenship was really pretty simple – if you live here then you would be entitled to scottish citizenship. Of course the SNPs view may not prevail but its likely. I think there would be other routes and IIRC something like “strong connections to the country” ie family or similar was also suggested. It was proposed to be fairly wide so that getting citizenship was easy but not available as a flag of convenience

tjagain

it isnae “isny” its “isnae”

perchypanther
    Free Member

It isny “isnae” it’s isny intit

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Only if you are separating the Scots from the Picts etc. Scots are part of the grouping currently known as BAME as the are minority ethnic within the UK. As a caucasian myself I’m thinking of moving back to the Caucasus and re-establishing my right to citizenship, though I could become Indian as I am Aryan according to one school of thought currently out of favour.

As you alluded to, Scots aren’t even a homogenous ethnic group. They’re a bastard mix of Basque gingers, Anglo Saxons and Norse.

hels
    Free Member

How do they decide who gets to play for the Scottish rugby team ? If you take out the requirement for being good at playing rugby. Actually, I don’t think that is a requirement on reflection. It must be just about being Scottish.

perchypanther
    Free Member

How do they decide who gets to play for the Scottish rugby team

They make them walk along Princes Street.

If they feel like a foreigner then they’re probably Scottish.

tjagain

Hels. One or more scottish grandparents or 5 years residency ( used to be 3) tim visser played for scotland and was proud to be the first dutchman to play for Scotland. He never called himself scottish

Its a very odd nuanced and peculiar thing nationality and citizenship on these islands.

Are these guys Scottish?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Christ they just take anyone who knows its the eggshaped ball don’t they?

“in the local vernacular, how would you discourage a Glaswegian ne’er-do-well from loitering in the region of your locked-up bicycle?”

Bolt ya rocket.

Away tae **** we speckie wee *****

Take it just don’t hurt me please.

*Requires specticals for that one.

kcr
    Free Member

As you alluded to, Scots aren’t even a homogenous ethnic group. They’re a bastard mix of Basque gingers, Anglo Saxons and Norse.

I think there is a lot more in the mix than that.

jamesy01
    Free Member

“scottish” is an ethnic group. “the people of Scotland” are the people who live here. So Connery is a scot, but he is no longer one of the people of scotland

What about The Big Yin?….I=is he still Scottish?

akira

I presume you just need to walk into a pub with an Englishman and an Irishman.

duncancallum

I’ll be getting a Scottish passport when they devolve

Any way the qualifying question should be

What are Hummel doddies?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The rugby international qualification requirements would make Jackie Charlton cringe these days. ‘Had a shite in a Scottish toilet? ideal, ‘mon chase some eggs for us’.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Well my previous post got the type of response I was expecting 😂
    I might well have a bit of tartan in me ..the Hodgson (clan) name originated in the Dumfries area..according to my Border Reivers chart …

epicyclo
    kcr
    Free Member

I’ll be getting a Scottish passport when they devolve

Devolution happened 20 years ago!

duncancallum

If it’s not devolve what’s the correct term

Scotxit?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Brawxit.

tjagain

lols at no beer

rene59
    Free Member

Whats a bawbag?

DrJ

Wear a skirt and talk funny ??

perchypanther
    Free Member

Wear a skirt and talk funny ??

That’s Eddie Izzard you’re thinking of.

He’s not Scottish

duckman

Scotland would have been independant by now if the English had been allowed to take part in IndyRef.

Yawn, then why do you think Westminster was so keen to keep us in the Union?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I’m moving to the Highlands at the end of March. No coincidence.

I’ve been practicing the accent for a while now, should fit in nicely I reckon.

Stainypants

I’m married to a Scot but live in England. Would I get Scottish citizenship, what any the kids.

I’m not sure I’d want the associated drop in life expectancy.

johnners
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’d want the associated drop in life expectancy.

You’d no longer have say you’re English though – well worth a few years off your life.

matt_outandabout

I’ve been practicing the accent for a while now, should fit in nicely I reckon.

Depending on where in the Highlands, an English accent may fit in more…

nickhit3
    Free Member

^true

nickhit3
    Free Member

Questions:

What would a Scottish passport look like?

Also, Basque Gingers + Support are playing tonight at the Horny Sheppard. £3/4con on the door 8pm. See you there. I’ll be down the front. Tapps aff.

matt_outandabout

What would a Scottish passport look like?

athgray
    Free Member

Scotland would have been independant by now if the English had been allowed to take part in IndyRef.

Plenty did, including my wife.

matt_outandabout

I voted in scotref. I’m English.

sarawak
    Free Member

Plenty did, including my wife.

I voted in scotref. I’m English.

But you don’t live in England. A vast majority of those living south of the border would gladly see Salmond & Surgeon and their acolytes float free into the North Sea. Then we could stop funding the Hibernian money pit.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘How would you become Scottish?’ is closed to new replies.