Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • How to speed up recovery from a cold?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Still spewing snot and coughing up green lumps after three days.

Lots of water, orange juice, lemsip and regular saunas haven’t helped.

What does stw suggest?

LeeW

Cinnamon, rum and coke heated in a microwave neck it before bed. Always helps me. Or I’ll mix ginger and chilli in to a soup or something.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

More vodka, more oranges, more dressing gown, more night sweats.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I will pop around with a tub of Vick’s to rub on your chest. You will be feeling better in no time….probably before I even get to you 🙂

u02sgb
    Free Member

I’ve been reading raw garlic and lots of sleep. Wouldn’t want to be in the same bed as me after that though!

MoreCashThanDash

Raw garlic doesn’t help the sufferer, it just prevents them spreading their germs.

jam-bo

3days? If it’s the same one doing the rounds locally then you’re barely warmed up….

PJ266
    Free Member

Don’t say that Jambo, 3 days so far here 🙁

Wary of just battling through it in case it makes me worse.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Are we talking about the 6 week man flu?

jam-bo

Thats the one. Never been too bad but it’s a persistent little **** and just can’t seem to shake it off. or I’ve had about 8 one week colds in succession

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve been terrible with it the last five days. The only thing making me feel even close to human is sudafed.

sadmadalan

Do not go out on a hard ride. Felt better so I dragged son number 2 round the woods. Got back, needed a hot bath and three hours of sleep before I managed to get warm and then this resulted in copious sweating!

soobalias
    Free Member

you are doing it about right IMO.
    avoid dairy totally, avoid all that crap leftover stuff in the fridge, the chocolates, the mince pies, avoid alcohol and no smoking
    stay totally hydrated* eat minimum 3 square meals a day then do nothing more than put more layers of clothes on and sweat/sleep for 24hrs before showering and starting again.

*shall we allow 10 posts before someone suggests that you have to watch your electrolyte levels or you will die.

fd3chris
    Free Member

The op actually says he has already been drinking lots of water. …….

CountZero

3 days? You’re about a third of the way through. Actually, possibly two-thirds, a cold normally last around nine-ten days, three coming, three heaviest, three going.
    I’ve had something with cold-like symptoms, ie coughing up green goo, head producing oceans of more green goo, which lasted for something like three months, but that clearly wasn’t just a cold, neither was it flu.
    Bloody rotten thing, though, I was blowing through a whole loo role a day at one point. 😐

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

as well as the advice offered by soobalias, I always found that cranking the electric blanket/ maxing out hot water bottles to the point where my body became too hot for the cold to live was successful. I had to fight the temptation to climb out of bed when the sweat was p:”=*-g out of me.

at the back of my mind I feel this might be risky for some…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Tried everything suggested so far apart from avoiding alcohol and one piece of Lee’s advice Cinnamon, rum and coke

Now where is my dial’a’dealer number

vickypea
    Free Member

Home made chicken soup with loads of onions, garlic, chilli and lemon. I swear by it 🙂

fasthaggis

Bottle of single malt and a hot tub.
    What could possibly go wrong?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Climb up an unsecured ladder – do your usual, you’ll soon forget about your cold.

mudmuncher

A good curry.

Edit, link added.

If it doesn’t sort your cold it will help with your breast milk.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/8268854/Curry-could-cure-the-common-cold-it-is-claimed.html

Coyote
    Free Member

Sleep. Lots of it.

brakes
    Free Member

heroin

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Hydrate-rest-and good old paracetamol… This “thingy bug” that going rounds lately is the most lethal i’ve encountered ..knocked me out of any outdoor activities for a month,

AndyRT
    Free Member

Just been booted out of the bed and now in the box room layering up with biking gear, 3 season sleeping cook in a bag and a big fluffy duvet.

I thought I’d seen the back of this damn cold before Christmas, it’s now 4 days in to a rematch and I’m losing.

Drac

Plenty fluids, paracetamol for comfort and stop whinging.

However if you are coughing up green phlegm then you need to see your Dr

globalti
    Free Member

It will get better at its own pace, no matter what quack remmedies you try. 95% of illnesses do just get better and the French philosopher Voltaire said that “most medicine consists of keeping the patient amused while Nature does her work”.

Avoiding certain foods like dairy is complete twaddle.

That said, once you reach the snotty bunged-up end stage you might get some relief from inhaling steam from a big bowl of hot water with a towel over your head, which might help to loosen the mucus.

Don’t blow your nose hard as you will push mucus into your sinuses. Blow gently into an open tissue.

M6TTF
    Free Member

The dairy makes no difference to aid recovery from a cold, it does however make a difference to the catarrh production for some people. My dad suffered for years until he reduced his dairy intake

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Sauna is great for clearing the catarrh but there is a limit to how long I can stay in there

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘How to speed up recovery from a cold?’ is closed to new replies.