Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • How to migrate tel numbers from old iPhone to new?
  • sputnik
    Free Member

Just received a 5s, how do I get my contacts from my 4s to the new phone?

euain

Do you use iCloud to synchronise contacts..? They’ll (should, anyway) just appear on the new.

philfive
    Free Member

Back up your phone to iCloud, at start up of new phone set it up from iCloud back up and hey presto.

sputnik
    Free Member

Thanks, will set iCloud to sync contacts.

GrahamS

No no no.

If you are replacing your old phone then use iTunes. Really!

Do a full back up of the old phone on iTunes. Tick the box to encrypt the backup with a password.

The plug in the new phone and while setting it up it will give you to restore it from a previous backup. Do that.

That way you don’t just get Contacts you get the entire contents of your old phone right down to things like old text messages, passwords, website cookies, etc etc

cp

If you are replacing your old phone then use iTunes. Really!

That way you don’t just get Contacts you get the entire contents of your old phone right down to things like old text messages, passwords, website cookies, etc etc

Unless of course you want to get rid of a load of that junk with a fresh install…

nealglover
    Free Member

You get exactly the same with iCloud ??

I did mine with iCloud and other than the fact it was a new phone it was absolutely no different whatsoever.

timmys

Doing the encrypted backup via iTunes copies over all passwords (wifi networks etc.) which other methods don’t.

GrahamS

You get exactly the same with iCloud ??

Pretty sure the iCloud Backup says it backs up the “most important” documents and settings. I like EVERYTHING backed up.

This Apple page says:

iCloud Backup does not back up music, movies, and TV shows that you did not purchase from the iTunes Store, or any podcasts, audio books, or photos that you originally synced from your computer. iCloud Backup will restore your purchased music, movie, and app content from the iTunes and App Stores during the background restore process. Previous purchases may be unavailable if they are no longer in the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store.

iTunes Backup is best for you if: The photos and videos saved in your device’s Camera Roll regularly exceed 1 GB in size or you tend to have very large backups.

nealglover
    Free Member

Righto, obviously everything on my phone is from the App Store, iTunes and iBooks then.

GrahamS

Probably only about 1% of my music is from iTunes. And none of my videos.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

timmys – Member
    Doing the encrypted backup via iTunes copies over all passwords (wifi networks etc.) which other methods don’t.
    – See more at: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/how-to-migrate-tel-numbers-from-old-iphone-to-new#post-5534312

It wont restore your old wifi or email passwords im afraid.

sputnik
    Free Member

I would like to just have my contacts on my new phone, then slowly put the things back I want on there.
    iCloud looks like the best and easiest option.

takisawa2

Did the wifes iPhone with the cloud thing.
    Worked ok.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Just reread timmys post, missed the encrypted bit, so i take back what i said, an encrypted backup will keep keychains too

br
    Free Member

Just received a 5s, how do I get my contacts from my 4s to the new phone?

Good job you haven’t lost/broken your phone, otherwise we’d have had a ‘how do I get my contacts/content off a lost/broken iPhone…

GrahamS

It wont restore your old wifi or email passwords im afraid.

You sure wyswig? This article say different:

While iTunes doesn’t normally back up passwords when backing up your device, if you select the “Encrypt iPhone backup” option, the keychain information (which includes email account passwords, Wi-Fi passwords, and passwords you enter into websites and some other applications) will also be backed up.

.. but I accept it may well be wrong. The tick box in iTunes certainly says “This will also backup account passwords used on the iPhone”

Edit: never mind 😀

wysiwyg
    Free Member

my retraction is above
    edit: never mind

stevomcd
    Free Member

Got my phone nicked recently.

Went into a shop (100’s of miles from home) to buy a new phone. Shop dude puts in the new SIM, fires the phone up, connects to the shop wifi and asks me to enter my iTunes password. Hey presto, fully-restored phone with all my contacts, apps, email accounts, etc all up and running.

Sometimes Apple are pretty good!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘How to migrate tel numbers from old iPhone to new?’ is closed to new replies.