Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • how to lighten up an enduro??
  • flamejob
    Free Member

@renton – You're 18 stone and you want to make your enduro lighter??

I think you're farting in the wind.

I'd think of spending money on improvements and durability. Get your forks and shock valved for your weight, maybe swap the rear hub for a Hope (major weight saving over the Deore and way better hub) etc.

I weigh 9.5st and have a very similar setup on my Pitch (36 RC2s full XT etc) and wouldn't want to put any lighter parts on it.

Notter
    Free Member

Did someone say pics…. 🙂
    (The old method of linking Fotopic doesn't appear to work anymore, anyone care to enlighten me?!)

Enduro

renton
    Free Member

**** UPDATE *****

right ive been out on the stumpy for a good ride this morning and yes it feels fast and light etc, but i didnt feel as confident on it as i do on the enduro.

the ride position is completely different aswell and gave me chronic back ache.

so im going to swap back (we were having a 2 week trial swap anyway)

then im going to ditch the miuchelin tyres and get some better rolling ones , new setof wheels and a shorter stem to try and sharpen it up at the front!!

anyone recommend some decent tyres then!!

cheers for all the help

steve

Notter
    Free Member

Definitely go tubeless then IMO, plenty of opinions on the best wheelset to go if you do a search on the forum!

All the best with it and, above all, enjoy!

renton
    Free Member

the bike actually came with a tubless wheelset when i bought it.

the tyres are downhill tbless things and they are 1.5 kgs each!!!

might have a look at some lighter tyres then

getting worried though as the bloke hasnt got back to me yet about swapping back?????

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Yehhh You know it makes sense
    Now beef it up and thrash it!

mine – dressed up for the alps

Fox 36 VanR's
    Fox DHX 5 coil shock
    Mavic 729 rims
    2.5" High Rollers (Ghetto'd)

and again but dirty 🙂

Bosh
    Free Member

Renton,

I've been through exactly the same dilemma! You might have seen my post looking to sell my 2005/6 enduro as, again I felt it too heavy t 36lbs. Here I'm a substantial fella at 21 stone.

I've tried other bikes and can honestly say that whilst this bike is a lump it still climbs well and descends better than anything else I've tried. A classic frame which Spesh have failed to replicate since IMHO.

My point is that I've been through the same as you and the outcome is…. I'm keeping the beast! I'd urge you to do the same.

I_Ache
    Free Member

My old Enduro weighed about 35lbs but it climbed ok and descended like a demon. I did eventually get rid of it because of the shock being a silly size and it was too heavy. I now have a Pitch and even tho it is only a couple of lbs lighter it rides loads lighter as it has a good shock and a steeper seat angle, that helps it climb better too.

If I were wanting to lighten it I would try to get hold of a 8.5×2.5 fox RP series shock and then get some 140mm maxle Revs. I would also put on some pro2/719 wheels with lighter tyres and get Thomson post and stem with carbon bars. That should get you down to around 32-33lbs. It might cost quite a bit but it will still ride well and possibly even better.

Oh and here is my old Enduro.

renton
    Free Member

andy m where did you get your frame painted and what colour is it??

cheers

stee

PJM1974
    Free Member

That baby blue SX Trail was a 2007 colour wasn't it? I like it.

Renton – glad to hear you're going to get the Enduro back, it sounds like it was the best move, together with the tubeless wheelset.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘how to lighten up an enduro??’ is closed to new replies.