• This topic has 84 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by brant.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • How to go about selling *LOTS* of Airfix/Revell/other model kits
  • PJM1974
    Free Member

If there’s a 1/48 scale Mig 15 there then I’ll happily take it off your hands for a reasonable sum.

Jamie
    Free Member

I know a man who buys such things Brant.

Brant knows this. The man is a sales wizard.

duffle
    Free Member

b r – Member

Have you a son/daughter, nephew/niece who is time rich but money poor?

Do a deal with them to ebay the lot, percentage of the sale price after costs.

Hi Uncle Brant <waves> 😛

CountZero

I live in Cranfield and look over at a lightning every day, never flies although they do run up the engines from time

There’s three at Bruntingthorpe, one at least is ‘live’, the other two close to, but none will ever fly, and neither will the Cranfield jet: CAA absolutely will not allow any civilian fast jet to have a licence to fly, just look at the repercussions from the Hunter that crashed at the air display a couple of years back, a transonic jet is a no-no.
    Sadly.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

I have an interest in modelling – though not aircraft.

Some of those kits may be worth a few quid (when I say a few quid, could be £40, £50 for a few of them).

To realise the full value your best bet is to find an aircraft modelling forum and post there. Ask what people are looking for and (if you have the time) prepare an inventory you could send.

(oldmodelkits.com may be worth a look, US based but might give you some values)

curiousyellow
    Free Member

If they have barcodes you could automate some of the inventory work.

mrmoofo

Don’t suppose you have an Airfix Catalina?

spursn17
    Free Member

This

Some of those kits may be worth a few quid (when I say a few quid, could be £40, £50 for a few of them).

Do as mrmonkfinger says and sell them in batches on Ebay, there may be a few gems in there that a dealer won’t tell you about.

If you’re selling any on here I bagsy the Sea Fury!

ChrisL

spursn17 – Member
    If you’re selling any on here I bagsy the Sea Fury!

That’s the 1/72 PM Model Sea Fury, it’s an alright (albeit simple) kit but not something I’d expect anyone to get excited about! Did you know about the 1/48 new tool Sea Fury that Airfix will be bringing out later in the year? There’s also one or two existing 1/48 Sea Fury kits, plus the PM Model kit was reboxed by Airfix (with better decals) for a while.

Here’s my attempt to build up one of PM Model’s other Sea Fury kits as VX281, part of the Royal Navy Historic Flight:

spursn17
    Free Member

OP, get them on Ebay.

I just had a quick look and the Trumpeter 1/48 Sea Fury is going for 20-35 quid, the 1/72 is 15-20. There’s a Trumpeter F105D in that stash and if it’s 1/72 it’s about £20, 1/32 is £90ish!

spursn17
    Free Member

Did you know about the 1/48 new tool Sea Fury that Airfix will be bringing out later in the year?

I didn’t, I’m having one of those! Sorry OP you just lost a sale! 😀

icicleboy
    Free Member

If you want them to go to someone who will love them then check out local model clubs and shops. Could ask a model shop to sell them on your behalf for a cut of the money.

Or stick them on eBay a few at a time and let them decide what they are worth (minus ebay fees of course).

Also Gumtree is also worth a punt as people setup general alerts for items they are after. They also come to your house generally so no fees and no delivery costs

brant
    Free Member

Final count is 1203 😯

Thanks for all the feedback.

CountZero

Final count is 1203

Yikes! If you only got a tenner each… 😯

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

That must be some kind of record Shirley??

I’d love to have a peek at the inventory.

njee20
    Free Member

Agreed, would you be amenable to offers on some, thee are clearly a few here who could be tempted!

Gary_C

Post on the Britmodeller forum, & the Scale Models sub-forum on Pistonheads, you’re guaranteed plenty of interest from those.

convert

Yikes! If you only got a tenner each…

If only they had only cost that much each to put up in the loft in the first place.

It probably makes me a heathen but I just don’t get the whole collecting thing. How does something like this start? Did Brant’s sort of FIL buy a few with the intention of building them, then a few more, then a few more so he had a pile bigger than he conceivably would have time to build.Then just started collecting them with no intention of building them. Then the collection got so big you’d never be able to access them to look at so you are just collecting them to know that they are ‘up there’. There’s nowt as queer as folk.

Northwind

convert – Member

Did Brant’s sort of FIL buy a few with the intention of building them, then a few more, then a few more so he had a pile bigger than he conceivably would have time to build.

ChrisL take heed.

spursn17
    Free Member

It probably makes me a heathen but I just don’t get the whole collecting thing

Nor me, but I can understand how it starts. I’ve probably got around 25 waiting to be built and for someone that only completes 1 or 2 a year that’s a lot, I do intend to build them though!
    I usually buy something that I like when it comes up cheap, but then another manufacturer will bring out a better version and I’ll get that as well. I can see how a more prolific builder could start to amass a decent size collection.

brant
    Free Member

Then just started collecting them with no intention of building them. Then the collection got so big you’d never be able to access them to look at so you are just collecting them to know that they are ‘up there’. There’s nowt as queer as folk.

He was a collector of aircraft models.

You presumably spend many hundreds of pounds a year to ride a bike around muddy fields.

Indeed, there is nowt so queer as folk.

convert

He was a collector of aircraft models.

You presumably spend many hundreds of pounds a year to ride a bike around muddy fields.

Yes I do appreciate we are all different and inexplicable in our own ways. But where is the endorphin moment for a collector; is it the act of the purchase or is it a Gollum like desire to walk your lands stroking your treasures? I could see me getting off on collecting stuff I could use (even if I rarely did) like cars or bikes or collecting art that smothered the walls of my home or vinyl I could listen to. But unused stuff that was stockpiled in the loft, not so much.

miketually
    Free Member

1. find a forum used by cash-rich nerds;
    2. post on there asking for advice;
    3. profit!

DezB
    Free Member

Why so defensive? – he only asked the question. I, personally have many sporting events on DVD and VHS that I’m never going to get the chance to watch. I can’t explain it, but I couldn’t even remotely compare it to mountain biking.

Jamie
    Free Member

It probably makes me a heathen but I just don’t get the whole collecting thing. How does something like this start? Did Brant’s sort of FIL buy a few with the intention of building them, then a few more, then a few more so he had a pile bigger than he conceivably would have time to build.Then just started collecting them with no intention of building them. Then the collection got so big you’d never be able to access them to look at so you are just collecting them to know that they are ‘up there’. There’s nowt as queer as folk.

Maybe the model kit boxes were part of one massive model kit box model? When looked at from space you can actually see they all combine to make a model of a one big model box.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I’ve got a collection of vintage board games that I never play! No idea why I bought them, went through a stage on Ebay a few years ago. 😳 😳

Probably worth a few hundred quid if I ever round to selling them.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I collect one random hair on my chin that grows like a twig. Every time it shows itself I pull the bugger out and put it with the rest of its kind – so I can observe its ancestry.

DezB
    Free Member

Every time it shows itself I pull the bugger out and put it with the rest of its kind – so I can observe its ancestry.

More like road cycling that one. 😉

wzzzz
    Free Member

Just spend your remaining years building them all?

Your life just got a purpose.

stumpy01

Selling them under the HebMoKiCo brand, will enable you to sell them to people on here for around £100 per kit…. 😉

Bish Bash Bosh….

mulacs

slimjim78 – Member
    I collect one random hair on my chin that grows like a twig. Every time it shows itself I pull the bugger out and put it with the rest of its kind – so I can observe its ancestry.

Dude… seriously… gross

Jamie
    Free Member

*Note to self: Idea: Artisanal trouser kits.*

Coyote
    Free Member

*Note to self: Jamie could be onto something*

upshift
    Free Member

Brant – Have a chat with these guys: ScaleModellingNow – they’ll be able to offer advice, or at least could be interested in writing an article about the find.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Final count is 1203

Bloody hell. Unbuilt model kits seem a particularly odd thing to collect.

I was staggered to see the price of models in Hamleys at Christmas – I think those estimates of £7-10 only cover the smallest simplest kits looking at https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/models/plastic-models/airfix/?gclid=CIK6oceojdICFRUTGwodyPMDhA

Those big boxes are £50+ each

CountZero

Not so much: kits get discontinued, become collectible because of their rarity, but they’re worth sod-all built up; kept in their original boxes, in pristine condition, they increase in value even more.
    Not much different to old die cast models, in some cases the boxes for those can fetch higher prices than the toys, because they’re just thin card and get thrown away or worn and damaged.

mickmcd
    Free Member

You know that film “40 year old virgin”

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Iv’e got about 60-70 in the loft/garage but only recently have actually had a suitable workplace (for 15 years) to build them, so the intention’s there!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I started buying the odd one here and there, must have 10 or so to do now

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

So it’s an investment thing? I ‘get’ collecting – music, stamps, coins, art, watches, whatever but to collect something that isn’t ‘displayable’ or ‘usable’ is the odd bit. Even ‘dinky’ cars still in the packaging were visible – you could look at them in the packaging.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘How to go about selling *LOTS* of Airfix/Revell/other model kits’ is closed to new replies.