Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • How to fit chain tugs?
  • tails
    Free Member

So I got my lovely MKS chaintugs through the post today (velosolo top service)

How the hell do I get the wheel in as it would mean flexing the chain/seat stays 25mm+ or do I fit them whilst attached to the wheel? Anyone have a video or photo guide?

brant
    Free Member

Instructions on the page

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/mkstug.html

tails
    Free Member

Yeah I have those very instructions, but I can't figure how to get wheel and chaintug inside the two dropouts. The chaintugs add around 3mm, which will increase the spacing. This cotic simple is proving far from simple!

tails
    Free Member

in this vid it appears rob rickman has the chaintug on the outside of the dropout, which is the opposite to the MKS instructions.

sadexpunk

havent seen instructions, but wouldnt they go 'outside' the droputs, and still be able to push off from the dropouts to tighten chain? with the locking nut screwing onto tug, which tightens against dropout?

tails
    Free Member

Yes in theory you are correct sadex, but on a pro 2 hub the 9/10mm axle bit sits inside the dropout so my chaintug would be pulling on the quick release axle.

tails
    Free Member

I figure this will be better than splaying the backend as that will make the disc hard to set up. see photo here

brant
    Free Member

Those chaintugs are designed for using on a solid axle. With nuts. Not a qr.

tails
    Free Member

Thanks brand so I'm going to have to but the axle conversion kit then another £20 plus tools another £20 😥

donks
    Free Member

What do Cotic suggest??
    I take it a simple Surly tugnut wont suffice then due to cowelled drop outs?

tails
    Free Member

What do Cotic suggest??

using chaintugs.

I take it a simple Surly tugnut wont suffice then due to cowelled drop outs?

those surly ones look like a nightmare to use no allen key or hex bolt, and they are massive.

donks
    Free Member

The surly's are bloody great Tails, and really simple to fit and adjust, the
    hand screw at the back nips the whole lot up more than tight enough so no tools are needed. The cowls might prevent fitment though!! worth a try?

brant
    Free Member

those surly ones look like a nightmare to use no allen key or hex bolt, and they are massive.

nightmare
    ??

tails
    Free Member

mleh just spent £26 on these MKS best in the business jobbies!! Going to look into sorting the hub before changing the chaintugs, though need to email hope first to see if the conversion will actually solve my problem.

brant
    Free Member

You'll certainly have a very secure system with a bolt up axle and those MKS's.

tails
    Free Member

I thought the hand screw would leave me hanging off it with some mole grips, guess I'm wrong.

You'll certainly have a very secure system with a bolt up axle and those MKS's.

Secure is what I want I'm running m810 saint brakes and I like to run my bikes for a while without servicing.

brant
    Free Member

I thought the hand screw would leave me hanging off it with some mole grips, guess I'm wrong.

You use the hand screw when everything is loose. It's just pulling the axle back, a bit, in the frame.

brant
    Free Member

I suspect, by the sound of things, you're suffering from "wheel moving backwards under braking". Rather than "wheel pulling forward under load".

Chaintugs won't help with the braking problem.

A good skewer, or nutted axle will sort things there though, coupled with Cy's guidelines on axle position in the dropout (half link/fully forward?)

tails
    Free Member

I don't have any problems yet as I still have not used the frame, but i'll report back. Anyway off to the pub have a good evening guys and thanks for the advice and help. :mrgreen:

donks
    Free Member

Well if you had a Surly tugnut fitted and rode down the pub you could use the tug as a bottle opener for when you got there :lol:…

Haze

One of these on my Simple/ProII SS, no problems here 8)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘How to fit chain tugs?’ is closed to new replies.