Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • How to escape death by motor car (cyclist acrobatic content).
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member
    monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Wow 😯

sobriety
    Free Member

That’s basically what happend to me back in March, except I hit the rear passenger door and went over the roof, under rotated and landed at 20 odd mph directly onto my right shoulder, which did a lovely job of totally displacing my collarbone out of my shoulder, destroying all the ligaments that are supposed to hold it there 🙁

On the plus side the driver admitted liabilty and I managed to get back on a bike again last week, with my collarbone held in by titanium screws and surgilig, woohoo! 😀

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Wow, either very acrobatic or very lucky.

Relative to another thread on here, hardly surprising that he wasn’t using the cycle lane as it appears that cars more and more often tend to regard the cycle lane as the new junction line, effectively sticking their nose out across the lane. I see that more and more often around my way.

I hope the guy is as alright as he appeared in the clip.

GrahamS

More details here: http://road.cc/content/news/124600-video-cyclists-lucky-escape-driver-turns-across-him

And original YouTube clip here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctsDl7g6a1w

Cyclists was okay. The driver tried to deny responsibility!

GrahamS

Going viral on the Uni Lad Facebook page here

(Warning: many of the comments will make you angry!)

DezB
    Free Member

Wow. Just wow – not about how the cyclist reacted, just that some car drivers are so **** stupid.

Cougar

The driver tried to deny responsibility!

Insurance paid out almost immediately when they were given the video, though.

bails

Going viral on the Uni Lad Facebook page here

DriverLAD!
    CycleLAD!

Epic BANTZ!

👿

GrahamS

Had an interesting exchange with a young lady who was going down the standard “Cyclists think the own the road but they don’t even pay road tax. They need to have number plates and read the Highway Code” tact.

(Not sure how she thought any of that would have helped here)

After exhausting the normal attempts at education I noticed Facebook said she was a Stable Hand. So I asked if she thought horses should need to pay “road tax” and wear number plates.

She said “yeah why shouldn’t we pay as well or have number plates the rules and payment should apply to everyone who uses the road “

Amazing.

I’m now hoping I can get her to agree that pedestrians should also pay “road tax” and wear number plates 😀

woody2000

I’d be happy to have a number plate, and display a tax disc (£0 naturally) if it shut some of these dozy wucking fankers up, I really would. I reckon there’s been a massive missed opportunity to put all these bloody myths to bed during the recent TdF publicity.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Makes my blood boil, it really does.

And breathe….

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I’d be happy to have a number plate, and display a tax disc (£0 naturally) if it shut some of these dozy wucking fankers up, I really would

+1

GrahamS

I reckon there’s been a massive missed opportunity to put all these bloody myths to bed during the recent TdF publicity.

People have tried before. There were quite a few articles after the Emma Way thing about how “road tax” didn’t exist etc but people still witter on about it.

Maybe when they finally get rid of the paper disc or will that just be another reason that it is even easier to charge cyclists?

woody2000

Articles on the internet (particularly on the times website!) are not going to be seen by the kind of people who think like that Graham (IMO). It needs to be on the TV so people see it, slap bang in the middle of the footy preferably 🙂

GrahamS

To be honest I think even if they did away with vehicle tax completely for everyone you’d still get people complaining that cyclists didn’t pay for petrol.

Junkyard
    Free Member

How the **** can the driver deny responsibility there?

Some crazy folk out there behind the wheel

dooge
    Free Member

I corrected a friend who said that cyclists should pay for road tax as well as car drivers. Given she has a tax exempt Beetle I pointed out she didnt pay for VED (vehicle excise duty) and that her car was probably coughing out more polutants with its ancient engine than my farts do!

lemonysam
    Free Member

that her car was probably coughing out more polutants with its ancient engine than my farts do

Especially as it’s so hard to fart whilst pedalling.

GrahamS

Depressing how many people are saying he “should have been in the cycle lane” (what cycle lane and how would that have helped?) or that “he should have been riding on the pavement”! 😕

phiiiiil

That cycle lane is brilliant. The way it leads you straight into the back of anything in that random parking bay is a stroke of genius distilled into road design form.

piemonster

Especially as it’s so hard to fart whilst pedalling.

This is bllx

GrahamS

From Facebook:

Me:So in summary your objections are that he should have used a non-existent cycle lane; he should have broken the law; he should have been more clairvoyant and he should have been trained by ninjas.
    What about the driver?

Other guy: Yeah I no it’s illegal but you can still do it haha you see a lot of people in the uk riding on paths anyways the law is something that’s just written people don’t listen to it if you live in the uk you will know and ninja no he just need learn how to control his bike under braking if he used them at all you have more control over a bike when braking mat! And the driver was turning the corner and the cyclist could have seen the car before and he could have turned the corner inside before the car turned

I can feel my brains leaking out. I’m going home for a quiet beer and a lie down.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’d be happy to have a number plate, and display a tax disc (£0 naturally) if it shut some of these dozy wucking fankers up, I really would.

Well I bloody wouldn’t. I don’t agree with the idea that cyclists should pay this or abide by that, just to placate car drivers so they don’t take their anger out on the next cyclist. It’s the same as indulging a spoilt child just in case he brains another kid with a cricket bat.

Cougar

I can feel my brains leaking out.

I don’t know why, “know” is such a difficult word to spell.

I used to subscribe to a thing called “Humournet” back when the Internet was in black and white. The author Vince used to describe these people as “the intellectual proletariat.”

GrahamS

Oh sweet jeebus. Now there is a driving instructor on there saying it was the cyclist’s fault!?!

Nurse, the pills!

stufield
    Free Member

Easy enough solution to the tax disc problem – bikes are zero emission vehicles, we could easily have a sticker tax disc from DVLA – cost to cyclist £0 – cost to tax payer to administer scheme – HUGE

Junkyard
    Free Member

the intellectual proletariat.

Stealing that line

Now there is a driving instructor on there saying it was the cyclist’s fault!?!

they are either lying or trolling

chambord
    Free Member

No there isn’t. There is a 14 year old boy who says he is a driving instructor on there writing things to wind you up.

Cougar

It’s easy to argue.

Cross out “bike” and write “car.” Whose fault is it now, the driver who had the audacity to drive in a straight line, or the one who cut across him?

Northwind

GrahamS – Member

tact.

TACK! That annoys me even more than the youtube comments 😆

Cougar

Wow, that Facebook page is impressive.

No, depressing, that’s the word I was looking for.

chambord
    Free Member

The whole video is incredible, almost like it is staged. It could be in one of those driving theory hazard awareness tests.

Something dangerous happens every second and it climaxes with a cyclist exclaiming “Oh f*** off!” almost before the driver has even turned like he just knows what is going to happen, which is quite telling in itself. And then he lands on his feet. Incredible.

I’m glad he’s OK and that he caught it on video, for insurance purposes, and also just as a record of the total chaos on our roads.

GrahamS

No there isn’t. There is a 14 year old boy who says he is a driving instructor on there writing things to wind you up.

No no he was genuine. Had a Facebook page, pictures of happy students etc

He asked me if I was an Advanced Driver.

I said “No I’m not. Are you an experienced cyclist?” 🙂

He actually turned out okay in the end though and admitted his initial post was a “touch accusing”.

Meanwhile someone else just accused me of being “a pedo that googles stuff and tells facts to kids” 😯

(said fact being that, no, he shouldn’t have been riding on the pavement, because that is illegal. Rolf Harris would be proud)

GrahamS

The whole video is incredible, almost like it is staged

A remarkable number of people have said that. Or said that he did it deliberately.

He destroyed a four-week old bike and had to be taken to hospital on a spinal board. Seems a bit extreme for a few Likes on YouTube!

mintimperial

No there isn’t. There is a 14 year old boy who says he is a driving instructor on there writing things to wind you up.[/quote]

Doubt it. I’ve been cut up, buzzed and intimidated by more than one qualified driving instructor in my time riding bikes. Just because someone can get a lazy, thick, selfish idiot (and there’s quite a few of those on our roads, right?) through a cursory driving test doesn’t mean that the instructor isn’t selfish, ignorant **** scum. Judge a teacher by their students; judge our driving instructors by the abysmal standards of driving we suffer on a daily basis, and the thousands who are killed and injured every year by their pupils.

GrahamS

The more I read the comments there about how it was “all the cyclist’s fault”, that he was “aggressive”, “self-righteous”, “thinks he owns the road”, that “Roads are for cars. Bikes are for kids.”, and he “got what he deserved” the more I realise why it is next to impossible to get a jury to agree on a careless/dangerous driving charge when a cyclist is involved.

DenDennis
    Free Member

terrible collision there and one that happens or nearly happens all to often, the old ‘right-hook’.
    I’ve had many a similar near-miss.

hope the rider is OK

its weird what comes out of our mouths when something sudden is about to happen, does anyone else get that?
    once i pointed at the driver with a ‘pistol’ hand action (no idea where it came from, just panic I guess and I felt a bit ashamed after).

fair play to the rider in this case for managing to get a solid ‘F%$K OFF’ shouted out just as the driver cuts across

chambord
    Free Member

[quote] Now there is a driving instructor on there saying it was the cyclist’s fault!?!

[/quote]

Doubt it
    [/quote]

Ay, fair enough GrahamS has already corrected me. I’m just surprised that someone said something on the internet that wasn’t a lie.

DezB
    Free Member

The more I read the comments there about how it was “all the cyclist’s fault”, that he was “aggressive”, “self-righteous”, “thinks he owns the road”, that “Roads are for cars. Bikes are for kids.”, and he “got what he deserved” the more I realise why it is next to impossible to get a jury to agree on a careless/dangerous driving charge when a cyclist is involved.

Because people really are that stupid?

mintimperial

Ay, fair enough GrahamS has already corrected me. I’m just surprised that someone said something on the internet that wasn’t a lie.

Hehe. Sorry, didn’t mean to get at you personally, I was just ranting tangentially at the idea that driving instructors are somehow infallible (which isn’t what you said at all).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘How to escape death by motor car (cyclist acrobatic content).’ is closed to new replies.