• This topic has 45 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by ajf.
Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • How to become invisible……
  • crazy-legs

Go to one of those “local” cafes/bars etc – the sort of off the beaten track, avoid the tourist hordes places that get recommended in tourist guides which ironically has everyone who’s read the guide going to said “local” bar for that authentic experience.

And then you sit there watching all the actual locals who prop the place up daily being served and the conversation going on between them and the staff while being near invisible to them and waiting for service that may never happen. x2 if there’s a language barrier.

freeagent
    Free Member

Go to one of those “local” cafes/bars etc – the sort of off the beaten track, avoid the tourist hordes places that get recommended in tourist guides which ironically has everyone who’s read the guide going to said “local” bar for that authentic experience.

And then you sit there watching all the actual locals who prop the place up daily being served and the conversation going on between them and the staff while being near invisible to them and waiting for service that may never happen. x2 if there’s a language barrier.

I can recommend North Wales for this experience – particularly nice touch is when they switch to speaking Welsh once they realise you’re English.

billabong987

I’ve heard this said so many times over the years about Wales and Scotland. I visit both multiple times a year and have never once experienced anything like this, I’ve always found the Welsh and Scottish to be very friendly and welcoming.

Maybe I’ve just been lucky although I sometimes wonder if it’s because I sound very northern rather than a posh southerner.

Ambrose

I have the most RP accent possible in the world. How I never became a BBC newsreader in the 70s escapes me.

I’ve lived in Wales all of my adult life. The bollocks spouted about locals switching to Welsh (?to exclude the visitors?) is something that in over 40 years of visiting local pubs I have never experienced.

I bet it hasn’t ever happened to you either.

blokeuptheroad

I can recommend North Wales for this experience – particularly nice touch is when they switch to speaking Welsh once they realise you’re English.

Yeah, speaking their own language. The absolute cheek.

ajf
    Free Member

friends of mine wandered straight into a festival by donning some high vis vests and walking past the security in their high vis at the trade entrance. Just merged right in unseen.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.