• This topic has 45 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by ajf.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • How to become invisible……
  • didnthurt

From recent experience, the secret of becoming invisible to people in: the office, pub, shops, especially the opposite sex and the youth, is to……

1. Go grey
    2. Have a few wrinkles
    3. Start receding
    4. Grow a (grey) beard
    5. Wear jeans, trainers and a t shirt

I reckon I could walk into a shop and pick something up, not pay for it and walk out, without anyone noticing.

A bit like…..

plumber
    Free Member

This one is easy

Wear a hi vis vest

Kryton57

Wear a hi vis vest

…on a bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

High-vis +1

Working in TV I found you could get away with anything if you wore a high vis tabard and a photocopied BBC pass.

funkmasterp

Go grey and start receding! I should be so lucky. Been bald since my late teens. I think you’re confusing invisible with irrelevant OP 😉

fasgadh
    Free Member

Even when younger – just stand by a bar while rather ‘thirsty’.  Works a treat.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Working in TV I found you could get away with anything if you wore a high vis tabard and a photocopied BBC pass.

I did a 1 week school placement at BBC Caversham Park and was given a hi-vis vest and a clipboard. It both made me invisible and gave me superpowers. I was meant to help check guests badges and passes but didn’t know who actually worked there so just walked up to everyone and asked for their pass, took it to the office, photocopied it and handed it back. At the end of the week I had pretty much all the staff badges photocopied in the box of papers I took home. I think it was still classified as a listening station at the time too so probably not a great bit of security.

sharkattack

You could strike up conversations about popular music with young people by wearing a band t-shirt. Something people listen to nowadays like The Fall, or The Smiths.

daviek

You could strike up conversations about popular music with young people by wearing a band t-shirt. Something people listen to nowadays like The Fall, or The Smiths.

My kids listen to the Smiths …. well 2 out of 4 anyway

funkmasterp

Don’t worry your kids taste in music will improve as they get older.

andeh

Joyce and Marr?

olddog

As someone who has delivered stuff – plain polo shirt, cargo pants and a box/package and you’ll not be questioned anywhere

Caher

Move to London.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Wear a Green rugby shirt and enter any ruck from the side, or a Black No 8 one for that matter – especially if your name is Ritchie

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Get yourself a Mankini…

Ambrose

Or the complete opposite. If you want to be noticed, stand outside a seaside pub in Cornwall with a puppy.

“He’s gorgeous, what’s his name? Is he friendly? Can I stroke him?“

It’s a vicarious attention maybe?

SaxonRider

I thought this thread was going to be about a certain type of young that rides down the street at night pulling wheelies while smoking and talking on the phone at the same time. Black balaclavas and hoodies a must.

CountZero

Wear a hi vis vest

I’ve said this for ages, along with boots, a nondescript blue fleece and a folder or clipboard. I’d need something like that to cover up all my tattoos! Oh, and a black beanie to cover up my mainly stubble covered head!

damascus
    Free Member

Wear a hi vis vest

Overt is covert

Watty

Go out to breakfast at a local cafe with an attractive neighbour. I can guarantee that you’ll get none of the attention.

jameso

Be homeless.

intheborders
    Free Member

I thought this was a post about Diane Abbot, stand up 40 times and be ignored while she was been discussed 🙂

In a past life working globally, a well-presented man in a suit can go anywhere – no one ever questioned where I was going or why was I there.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Up until the age of 16 they are your responsibility, after that it’s perfectly acceptable to kick them out.

bedmaker

I was a fairly early fatbike adopter, this thread brings to mind my early rides on it.
    First time out was a shakedown run out of the village, alongside the road a bit, then the relatively busy river track.
    I remember thinking that this must be what it’s like to be a really good looking woman as everyone looked my way and did a double take.
    I made the mistake of taking it to some organised ride thing with the kids with a couple of hundred folk and the amount of attention it attracted just became irritating.
    So, wear high Vis, but not on a cartoonish bicycle!

kormoran
    Free Member

Big Issue tabard and a pile of magazines works pretty well

BadlyWiredDog

Be born the ‘wrong’ gender. Data bias.

https://carolinecriadoperez.com/book/invisible-women/

mogrim

Go grey
    Have a few wrinkles
    Start receding
    Grow a (grey) beard
    Wear jeans, trainers and a t shirt

The main fail there is the last point. If you’re in (reasonable) shape, dress a bit better, and have a confident (without being overbearing) attitude, you’ll still be checked out by women of around your age. You’ll be invisible to the 18 year olds, but TBH unless you’re a Prince Andrew weirdo that’s not something to be too concerned about…

BillMC

Easy, there’s an amulet in the Pitt-Rivers that will make you invisible if you can get it out of the cabinet. If not, as above, grey hair etc.

andytherocketeer

Use whichever paint they use on the one-way and no entry roads signs on my street and the next street over.

Bruce

I find I become magically visible as I seem to be the goto person for directions. In the mountains I can understand it but in overseas city’s?

scotroutes

I’m with @mogrim on this, but I didn’t want to upset the OP 😂. In fact, even the last point isn’t a showstopper.

Bunnyhop

As BWD says above, try being a woman.
    A woman over the age of 55ish is just not seen or heard. We are completely invisible. Once our looks have gone and the body is sagging we are non-existent beings. Talked over, not taken seriously when talking to ‘some’ builders or dealing with male dominated trades, ignored in queues at bars, in pubs etc. I could waffle on for hours.

BigJohn

A few years ago when office attire was a suit, shirt and tie and office hours were 9 to 5:30 a colleague used to keep a bunch of files in his car so when he was late (often) he would leave his jacket, stick a couple of files under his arm and wander in, as if he’d been there for hours.

chakaping
    Free Member

Just because it always makes me smile:

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

not taken seriously when talking to ‘some’ builders or dealing with male dominated trades, ignored in queues at bars, in pubs etc. I could waffle on for hours.

Sorry dear, were you saying something?

Invisible? Can anyone even see the paintings in this photo because the people walking by certainly didn’t.

fossy

Or another opposite. Stand outside a retro cycling clothing retailers in Llangollen. Shop not open until Tomorrow. Owner spots a middle aged cyclist gawping at gear, comes out and asks you to come in, even though he’s busy restocking.

fossy

PS I’m going back today to spend money 💰

scotroutes

As BWD says above, try being a woman.

… snip…

I could waffle on for hours.

Which might be the problem? 😉

funkrodent

For me it’s simply sit down at a table in a restaurant. Works every time. There can be swarms of waiters in the general vicinity, but I am stuck in some kind of vortex that makes me invisible to all of them. I’m used to it now and at the least make sure I get the drinks order in when being seated so I don’t die of thirst in the meantime

hoops

Wear a camo dry robe?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.