Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • How they used to do it….
  • squarewheels
    Free Member

Sent my old man a link to that On-One Lincolnshire Poacher suggesting that it would be his kind of thing…. he used to ride a lot back in the day. Amusing response especially since in the 33 years I've known him I don't think he's ever expressed a preference for anything let alone views on 'fashion'.

He said….

"Looks just right. Need:

A leather saddle (with copper rivets) but no lugs for saddle bag, rat trap pedals with bolt on toe clips (leather quick release straps) and there should be lugs to take mud-guards (black) for non-racing. Double sided fixed back hub, a ping bell and NO back brake. Black leather shoes with a steel stiffening bar in the sole and nail on plates. Still got my old ones with ventilation holes to let the rain run out. WHITE socks, tight leg jeans, sweater and track mitts with a striped deck chair canvas butty bag (club track vest and tight black wool shorts with chammy leather insert for racing)Rain cape and tools rolled up and strapped behind saddle with spare tube for high pressure tyres or tubular for racing. Front light clamped to bars but back light must hang from strap holding cape and not be clamped to back stay. Very style conscious. I could go on… "

…and he did:

"….double sided fixed rear hub with sprockets and chain wheel arranged to give two gears about 68” one side and 79” the other. Double butted rustless spokes (not chrome) 32/40 in alloy rims. Bars to be wrapped with black cloth tape right to the clamp on the stem (no padding). Black rubber plugs to hold tape in end of bars. Frame about 22” (?) about 3” seat stem exposed. With leg fully extended knee should be still slightly bent. Point of saddle over bottom bracket. When holding end of dropped bars knees should almost touch elbows…. "

…and he concluded with

"…. Can’t remember the exact length but cranks should be shorter rather than longer. An alloy chain set is nice but strictly it ought to be a steel chain set with cotter pins filed to be just clear of the crank surface. Hubs should be alloy with large flanges.

Tools apart from obvious to be shared with rest of the bunch include spoke key and spokes taped to mud-guard stays, spoke key, chain link extractor and spare links …."

RealMan
    Free Member

I thought all that went without even saying, it is a bit obvious, after all..

bassspine
    Free Member

squarewheels: brilliant post

RichPenny
    Free Member

OCD?

squarewheels
    Free Member

RichP – lol, yeah like most roadies?!

BigJohn

He's right, of course.

I've got something similar that I'm about to go and get the shopping on later today.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘How they used to do it….’ is closed to new replies.