Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How should an MTB helmet fit?
  • sv722
    Free Member

So my head is about size 60/61 cm

The helmet in question the Troy Lee Designs A1. I have both the M/L size 57-59 cm and the XL/XXL 60-62 cm. The smaller of the two looks better on my head but doesn’t fit as comfortable well as the XL. It feels okay but it almost floats on my head and feels tight-ish.

The large looks a lot bulky in the selfies that i’ve taken (yeah i’m that self conscious) but it feels so comfortable and warm. It feels like it gives more coverage and covers my head all around very well, (almost like the way i’d expect a full face helmet to feel like). It’s a little heavier though and there are gaps between the external hard shell and the inner lining. Other than that it feels like my head is in a warm little cocoon,and the visor is much more noticeable than in the smaller one.

So im asking, how are MTB helmets supposed to fit and does it matter if it looks bulky when its on your head? What happens in a crash when youre wearing an uncomfortable helmet?

legend
    Free Member

It should be ‘snug’, and I think you already know the answer to the sizing question really. Looks definitely don’t come into it

neilwheel
    Free Member

“You can’t get a pint in a half pint pot”

If it’s too tight now, don’t wait until you are chugging up a climb in it to think about sending it back.

epicyclo

Rule of thumb – tighten the adjustment screw at the back and lean forward so your head is pointing down (straps undone, of course).

If it stays on, it’s probably ok.

neilwheel
    Free Member

I’m sure it will stay on if it’s a size too small.

sv722
    Free Member

The smaller one just feels like its floating on my head even though it looks better in the selfies i’ve taken.

The larger is bulkier and heavier but it feels very snug and protective over my head.

neilwheel
    Free Member

You could fix some car mirrors to your handle bars, just make sure they have this label –

“Objects in mirror are closer than they appear”

m360
    Free Member

I suspect a troll but I’m bored:

it looks better in the selfies i’ve taken.

it feels very snug and protective over my head.

Hmm, which one do I want from a piece of protective equipment? Let me think…

Maybe try a different helmet, you might find one that fits and makes you look pretty 🙄

sv722
    Free Member

No troll here. I tried it no in the shop and it was fine but then at home compared to the XL/XXL it feels like its floating on my head. I don’t want to look like a **** with a bulky lid.

jota180
    Free Member

If you shake your head vigorously and the larger one does not move independently to your head, it’s the right size.

It’s also possible that they’re both the correct size as there’s usually some overlap

jam-bo

Having a large head and from experience. Being a tight fit in the shop translates to bloody uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

matt_outandabout

Do also bear in mind that one makes ’60-62cm’ helmet can be:
    a) smaller or larger than another brands.
    b) a different shape, so sitting on or around your head in a different manner.
    c) look smaller or bigger, or just different.

a) and b) meaning you need to try on LOTS of brands.

TiRed

Standard helmet fit test; tighten strap at the back until snug but not tight. Place hand above top of helmet. Lean over. If helmet falls into hand, it does not fit. Once adjusted, check for rotation. Chances are, if it rotates too much, it’s the wrong brand for your shaped head.

My head is most definitely medium Giro shaped.

It really doesn’t matter what it looks like, I wear a Giro Air Attack because it fits so well. And a Hex.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How should an MTB helmet fit?’ is closed to new replies.