Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • How often do you see your dentist?
  • nickc

I wonder how many of those at £18.80 need to be done per hour to match the practitioner’s required hourly rate to keep their business/practice going?!

Generalising massively…

check up: 1 UDA (unit of Dentistry Activity)
    filling: 3 UDA
    Most things that involve a lab: 12 UDA

CCGs will give each dentist a rate/UDA it varies but on average it’s £20-25/UDA, most high street NHS practices will have a contract of 25-30,000 UDAs per dentist. A day’s activity (per dentist) needs to be a 33-40 UDA’s to meet the target. On top of that there are private pts. then there’s all the usual costs of running a business. Bear in mind that NHS density is all about “fit and function” rather than a Broadway smile….

it’s a money spinner for sure 🙄

brakes
    Free Member

I don’t like mine. He sees me and says “fine, now go and get a hygienist appointment.”
    My wisdom teeth, which cause me regular grief he doesn’t give a crap about – probably because that’s no money for him, a referal to do and my wisdom teeth are probably causing problems with my other teeth that he can fix.

TexWade
    Free Member

I am sure it’s a racket – I missed an appointment for a filling about 25 years ago. Didn’t have toothache then and had no problems since. My last visit after that was about 6 years ago when I had some pain in teeth – dentist couldn’t see any issues and told me to use an electric toothbrush and to come back in a few years. Teeth still fine – as far as I know.

v8ninety

I got delisted from an NHS list because I haven’t gone for a check up for about 3 years. Irritating. It’s not like I’m costing them anything whilst not going for a check up. Now I am Dentistless. I’m SURE it’s a scam.

jonba
    Free Member

In theory once every 6 month along with the hygienist.

In practice a lot more. Had a bad dentist do some bad work. Moved dentists and got it corrected but it means I’ve had a lot of drilling and spent a lot of money.

spacey

Interesting thread for me, I do research into how the dental profession is run. Main point to the sceptics is prevention. If you wait until you feel pain then treatment will be far more severe, think small filling versus root canal. So probably worth a regular check up. The evidence on frequency of attendance is very limited and very dependent on the patient, anywhere from 6 months to 24 months. Tooth decay grows slowly so should easily be identified over 2 years with decent xrays. Also don’t worry about the conveyor belt thing, the NHS top up the £18 so that they achieve decent hourly rates.

paul4stones

Also don’t worry about the conveyor belt thing, the NHS top up the £18 so that they achieve decent hourly rates.

Looking for the raised eyebrow emoticon…..

check up: 1 UDA (unit of Dentistry Dental Activity)
    As many fillings/extractions/root fillings as you need in the ‘course of treatment’ : 3 UDA
    Most things that involve a lab: 12 UDA

Edit: And because I suspect what the OP is actually asking is “How often should I see my dentist for a check up?” I’m going to re-post this which is the guidance we have. Note that the interval between examinations should be discussed and agreed with the patient and should take into account risk factors including oral hygiene, diet, etc.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I see my dentists nurse everyday…… I see my dentist twice a year and a hygienist at the same time. Its a private dentist and have had a couple of fillings in the last 6 months and luckily the current wife being the nurse makes it mates rates, of nowt. Wife says that for a dentist to see you every 4 months, means you might have issues he wants to keep an eye on. She has patients who her practice sees very 3 months. She said to ask why he/ she wants to see you more frequently, as they should have told you the reason.

tom200

Need to make an appointment for in a couple of years time.

How I see it is every time you go they get the drill out and remove some of your teeth…….best not to too often!

integerspin
    Free Member

I went in the mid 70’s and again in 2008 and 2009.
    When I went to the dentist in the 60’s every time I got a filling, so I missed about 60 fillings by not going.

trademark
    Free Member

I’ve never been to a dentist in my life, not had the need.
    Never had toothache, my teeth aren’t loose or crumbling and my gums don’t bleed.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Most of this historical over filling is because dentists used to get paid for each bit of work, so they would always do something and then claim on the nhs.

Drilling holes in teeth makes them weaker, the question is when to intervene.

Every 1-2 years is what my insider* tells me is a good plan. I’ve not been in 5, apart from a year ago when I had a crown stuck back on (last words pervious to that visit were “come back in a week and we’ll check that’s stuck on”)
    🙂

*NHS coordinator-type-person

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Only when my teeth hurt.

Since school days and about 1980, the next time was 1996. Then the next time was 2010

On the two later visits they were horrified after I told them when the last time was I saw a dentist.

Both occasions they have me an all clear generally and maybe replaced a filling they dislodged.

Last visit the dentist chipped a tooth.

My opinion is that they usually cause more harm IME.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I am neither a dentist or hygienist, but I do wonder sometimes at the low value some people place on their personal health, yet will happily spunk hundreds of pounds per month on material possessions. Still, your life, your values

My personal health is 100% fine, I don’t need to pay a dentist every 6 months to tell me that, nor do I need to go to a doctor every 6 months to do the same.

I brush well 2-3 times a day and don’t drink fizzy drinks and my teeth are fine.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

The interesting thing about this is how dental health affects heart health!

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘How often do you see your dentist?’ is closed to new replies.