Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How o you remove anodize from alloy?
  • tommid
    Free Member

I know its been asked a thousand times, I want to strip the anodize from some cranks and I was trying to avoid the Caoh (Caustic Soda) route if possible. Lets see your projects and hear how you did it. I don't really want to spend hours sanding either. Oven cleaner???

xcstu
    Free Member

I had this dilema a while back and thought of oven cleaner…. had a black stem plate and wanted in bare alloy…

In the end I used caustic soda but in small doses… worked a treat 😉 oven cleaner barely did anything

one example:

coffeeking
    Free Member

Indeed, it's not like paint, you do actually have to dissolve the anodising and that requires a strong alkali.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Caustic soda stripped my Hones in no time. Outside and no kids around. Can't do pics – the bike is in Poland.

tommid
    Free Member

Cheers so far, but a few more questions.. Cool so Caustic looks like it will be the only way. How? Whats the process? Did you rub it on or did you make a bath of caustic and lower them in? Then rinse with water? Or I have heard maybe with Vinegar???

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Try some neat Traffic Film remover, if you can get some. Garages with a jet wash might let you have a bit.

Hairychested
    Free Member

A container of cold water, pour the soda in (I poured much more than suggested), it bubbles up and gets warmer. Your crank, hanging on a wooden stick, goes in, you just dip it in and out, might be useful to use an old brush. A few seconds in the soda and the anodising washes away. Leave the crank to dry, DON'T TOUCH IT AS IT BURNS!, pour some water over it later. When cold and dry (a towel is good), it needs polishing so you can use it as a mirror. Simple, really.

xcstu
    Free Member

Tommid – the process i used was a bowl of cold water / 2-3 table spoon of caustic soda and gently mixed. Then I dipped the stem plate completely under the water. It doesn't take long for the anodize to colour the water… No longer than a min each time and rinse under running tap (I found after drying off a bit of a bit of brasso was handy to clean the finish as caustic soda can make the alloy look black) rubs off very easy mind!

Repeat until all off but keep an eye out as caustic can damage and eat the alloy!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How o you remove anodize from alloy?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM