Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • How much to get the central heating serviced?
  • lunge

Just moved into a new house and the heating is making some strange noises
    I know it's not had the heating serviced for a while so i was thinking of getting it done.
    Does anyone know roughly how much this would cost me?

clubber
    Free Member

About £150 last time for me IIRC.

That said, I signed up for £2 a month with British Gas which means repairs/services are a fixed price which worked out cheaper.

EDIT http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/maintenance-and-repair.html

They quote for fixed price repairs there.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

British Gas would be £156 for a year / £13 per month. IMO very good value for money, especially if the boiler is over 5 years old.

Don't tell them its faulty, they will come out service it and then repair it for the rest of its life, all for the £13 per month. I've saved £100's on their scheme.

clubber
    Free Member

Don't tell them its faulty

Ditto.

FWIW, it's probably the divertor valve

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Our local heating engineers charge £65 for an annual service.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Ours is the same as Mastiles'

BermBandit
    Free Member

From recent experience, shopping aorund for central heating work is the only way forward.

Called in a "reputable" local plumber to look at my boiler which was simply not working. Sharp sucking in through teeth was followed by an estimate for £2800approx to replace said boiler. As luck would have it my wife told a mate at work and it transpired that her hubby was an old school plumber, ie. time served apprentice etc etc. He came round looked, sucked through his teeth, and then said "shall we look at the cheap bits first before we repalce the most expensive bit?" A rapid nodding of my head led to him popping in, taking the pump off cleaning it out, resintalling it and a bill for £45 including VAT. The system has never worked better, and its some months now since he did it.

I checked out the British Gas thing, and it seems that they actually charge considerably more for chargeable work than anyone else. In fact od I remember rightly there was quite a long thread on her about it a while back.

So careful of what you buy into, and don't be afraid to shop around and ask for references from other jobs.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘How much to get the central heating serviced?’ is closed to new replies.