Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How much seat post showing is too much?
  • NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

As per title, currently have about 230mm showing on full extension. Seatpost is well inserted into the frame. Is any more post too much?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Only 230mm? Your frame is too big.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Sorry, ignore the 230mm bit!

Joxster
    Free Member

Any seatpost above the limit mark is too much

will
    Free Member

What Joxter said.

CountZero

Joxter’s right. It’s too much if your feet don’t touch the pedals as well.

Northwind

When you can’t get on without a stepladder, that may be too much.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Provided the seatpost is inserted beyond min insert its fine. Personally I like to have some seatpost below the lowest part of the top tube/seat tube weld too.

verses

Personally I like to have some seatpost below the lowest part of the top tube/seat tube weld too.

Having had a frame break at that point, I do too now.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Uh-huh, that what did it for me too 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

as long as you can see the saddle above the snow line up the NW Alps, it’s enough

PJay
    Free Member

There are really two criteria I believe. The minimum insertion mark on the post is to protect the post from snapping, if the mark’s showing there’s not enough post in the frame. There’s also, usually, a minimum insertion point for a given frame – the amount of post needed in the frame to protect the frame from breaking, it’s usually at a point below the lowest point of the seattube/top tube weld that people have mentioned, but I guess it can vary between designs. I think on my Inbred it’s about 1cm below this point, but being a heavy bloke I like a fair bit more in the frame than this. If in doubt (and I could be wrong) it’s probably worth checking with the frame manufacturer.

uplink
    Free Member

Surely the frame dictates what the minimum insertion should be as well as the marks on the post?
    I wouldn’t want a post that didn’t make it past the top tube/seat tube joint

EDIT – looks like I type slowly 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Uh-huh, that what did it for me too

And me. On a REAL Kona Hei Hei too
    🙁

I now buy loooong seatposts all the time

PJay
    Free Member

I think too that if your post is shimmed, you need to ensure that the shim itself meets the min. insestion point for the frame. As post below the shim isn’t in contact with the seat tube, I don’t think it counts.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Cheers lads

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How much seat post showing is too much?’ is closed to new replies.