Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • How much does a shed cost?
  • tootallpaul

So, looking for a house, and if we can’t find one with a garage, I will need a shed.

How much should I budget to have a decent size secure shed built? Nothing fancy. Needs to be big enough for 8 bikes and a workshop area.

Ballpark figures, obviously.

Cheers chaps,

Paul

Saccades
    Free Member

Costing me 4.5K for a 12×17 shed in ireland – it may be slightly overbuilt and I suspect you can get things a lot cheaper in the UK.

8 bikes and workshop would be a tight fit in there though.

tootallpaul

Cheers Saccades – I was thinking of asking the financial controller to put aside 5k, so my thought process looks to be about right.

Gary_M
    Free Member

8 bikes and a workshop area.

That will need to be a fairly big shed so probably 10*8.

Been a while since I got a shed built but roughly £1500 to £2k.

£5k! That’s going to be a pretty good shed.

tootallpaul

I want a nice shed. 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

Buy a 20 x 8 shipping container ?

timbur
    Free Member

10×18 workshop here.
    Think it was £2.5k for the shed but you’ll need a shed base as well.
    Loads of room for work tools, bikes and a maintenance area as well.
    5k will be plenty for a bit of racking/storage/sound system/pimping!

rone

Just had a 10×8 shed built with base, delivered and erected. Couple of extra shelves. Came to £746 (this is for gardening purposes)

Not big enough for 8 bikes though! I would say 3-4 bikes at a push and they would have to be smartly packed against the wall for you to have some sort of a workshop.

I think you actually need a bit more space than 10×8.

My local http://www.mansfieldshedsandfencingsupplies.co.uk/ Some guide prices on there.

Was very impressed with the quality.

Sundayjumper

We’ve recently had a 12×8 shed put up and I’d say getting eight bikes & workspace in there would be very tight and untimately quite annoying. Saccades is in the right ballpark with 12×17 IMO.

bigblackshed

One of my sheds is 11×7. 5 bikes, some racking, bench over roller tool box, pretty tight TBH. I’d be looking at something 12×18 just so you have somewhere other than a bench top to work on.

tootallpaul

Cheers chaps, liking all the suggestions.

Would there be any planning permission stuff involved?

footflaps

Sheds are temporary installations so don’t need planning.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sheds are temporary installations so don’t need planning.

Your’s isn’t unless there’s a nuclear holocaust!

bruneep

All depends if you are getting someone to build it for you or sourcing the timber yourself for them to build. You could plant the tree seed and wait if you want to do it cheaper still. 😉

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Anything less then 15k and it’s not a real shed! 😉

br
    Free Member

Also worth insulating with Celotex or the like – not cheap so budget for this too.

And for 8 bikes and a workshop area I’d reckon on 4m x 4m, but with a pitch roof for extra storage space.

This kinda thing, although tbh I reckon a brick built ‘garage’ would be far better/nicer.

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Wooden-Sheds/The-BillyOh-5000-Range/18374

midlifecrashes

This looks fantastic for the money.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-65m-ISO-Workshop-Container-/301647037569?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item463b908481

You could clad it easy enough to make it more garden friendly if needs be.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Just been in a similar situation but could not part with the ££££ for a shed…so I built one myself

12 x 10 with windows.

After shopping around the local timber merchants, I bought 20mm treated redwood shiplap,18mm plywood flooring,11mm OSB and heavy duty 38kg mineral felt for the roof.I got some free recycled 4×2’s for the frame.Complete shed cost was £370 and took a weekend to build

The shed is bomb proof!

looneylunn
    Free Member

16 x 10 fully tanalised, council slab base, insulated, ply lined. £2k

dti

or for something different check out a nissen hut kit from GT evans newtown,
    http://www.gtevans.co.uk/nissen.htm

andyl
    Free Member

I have a 16×10 with an extra 1m deep rear veranda for outside storage. Should be about right for what you want as a minimum.

As I have said before I would build my next out of 200x47mm T&G dungwall. Will need a chainsaw to break through it. Agri store do it on offer for £15 (inc. VAT) for 4.7m or £20 normally or £28 for 6.1m – could make a nice 20×10 shed very easily from that.

Double skinned, insulated roof with steel box section on top. Find a source of cheap tempered glass for the windows (eg ikea shelves) and make a double wall window with glass on the outside with reflective film and polycarbonate on the inside (glass won’t scratch like PC).

maxray
    Free Member

Yours sounds like just what I want AndyL 🙂

tootallpaul

Andy- wanna come build my shed for me?

Sounds perfect!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘How much does a shed cost?’ is closed to new replies.