Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • how many 10 speed sprockets on a hope ss and which ones?
  • oxym0r0n

So, 2.5 weeks waiting for hope to warranty a wheel and a week waiting for some cranks bought from on the interweb means I am 2 bikes down (and people ask why we have more than one bike)

Anyhoo – I could make the geared bike work with the wheel off the ss, so has anyone put 10 speed sprockets on a hope ss hub? If so, which ones?

Thanks!

oxym0r0n

Nobody tried this?

feisty
    Free Member

I looked into this for the Mrs to use my bike an the SRAM PG-970 seemed to be the one people use as it has separate sprockets so you can get 6 on, I am not 100% there are not different versions of this cassette as most people seem to use the DH version

clicky

itstig

Jameso off of here and sucessful tour-divide racer ran a hope singlespeed hub with six sprockets 12-28 3 singlespeed sprockets and 3 shimano. I only know because there is a very good write by him on on Jeff Jones’s blog. Well worth a read.

bigblackshed

Yes. Done it. 6×10 speed sprockets on my Sanderson.

Used a Shimano 105 cassette. 15, 17, 19, 21, 23, 25. Almost got 7 on there but it was too close to the spokes. Teamed it with a Zee mech. No chain device. Not dropped the chain yet. Although chipped the chain stay paint to hell.

I’ll take some photos. Back in a minute.

bigblackshed

Not the best photos, sorry.

I put one of the plastic spacers that came with the mech on first and then another before the lock ring. If you can lathe one down, just enough to clear the spokes, and leave the lock ring one off, you may get 7 on.

doof_doof
    Free Member

I’ve got 7 9sp cogs off an XT cassette on mine. There’s a big thread on MTBR about this very thing. Others have put 8 10sp cogs on.
    I had to machine a couple of mm off the back of the cassette to get 7 on, but it works great and the stiffer dishless rear wheel is noticible.

igm

Looks like a nice DH option that.

oxym0r0n

Thanks folks – only going to be a temporary measure till I get my proper back wheel back so no machining but nice to know others have tried it.
    It will be an xt 10 speed as that’s what I have, with slx shadow+

Rorschach
    Free Member

I got 7 cogs of a 10 speed 11-28 on mine.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

This is interesting! Currently, I’ve got 5 9sp cogs on my Karate Monkey, but with 8sp spacers, so I can run the heftier chain. 6 x 9sp cogs are JUST too wide to fit comfortably on, though a slightly modified XT block is supposed to work a treat. Might have to the 7 though……How does the 10sp chain bear up to a limited range?

oxym0r0n

7 speed worked a treat – 10 speed chain ok so far. On the work stand the mech clears the spokes but I found it caught in the highest 3 gears riding along (nothing a quick file of the cable clamp wouldn’t fix)

bigblackshed

Put it this way. I’m 6’4″ & 18st 8lbs. The chain is holding up just fine.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘how many 10 speed sprockets on a hope ss and which ones?’ is closed to new replies.