Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How long should sibling pups fight for?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Went to pup sit today for the daughter in law who has the sister to our Lab, 12 weeks old. It’s the 2nd time theyv’e met up again since leaving the breeder & they scrapped for 3 hours solid.
    You could tell they were tiring but neither would give up. Loud yelps, bared ‘fangs’ (if you can call them that) & proper going for it.

3 hours & they were still at it before we had to get back home! I just let them crack on but the Mrs was a bit concerned. I’m sure they would’ve fallen asleep fighting at some point.

FYI. their pup had been on it’s own for 2 hours before we got there & then another 2 after we left.

JAG

Puppy’s are full ON when they’re awake and looking for a fight/play with anyone. I wouldn’t worry about it.

All of our pups have been little demons while awake – full of mischievous energy and interacting with the world via their mouth and teeth 😯

butcher

Are they actually properly fighting? It’s very common for dogs, and especially puppies, to play fight. And they have bloody sharp teeth at a young age too! I think a few yelps would be normal. And they could look pretty serious too. Think I’d be a bit concerned if I thought they were genuinely not getting along though.

monde
    Free Member

They are playing and if they are like most labs will be doing the same for years to come hopefully! Really important they are allowed to do it as well because it teaches them boundaries as taught by the dog they are playing with.

Lucas
    Free Member

My brother has my dogs sister, she would stay for a weekend and it was only at 4pm on Sunday that they would calm down a bit, they did that for at least a year maybe more. They are 9 now and don’t play fight anymore. They loved it!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

They weren’t killing each other & would even stop for a drink from the same bowl. I knew it was normal but the Mrs was quite uneasy about it.
    It was the 3 hours they were going at it I was wondering about.

butcher

Pretty normal I reckon, going by all the dogs I’ve ever had! Puppies will carry on till their energy is gone… Depending on breed, could take a while!

bruk

Don’t even have to be litter mates. Was on call one xmas and had our 1 yr old dog and MIL’s 3 yr old staying. Essentially play fought when not eating, sleeping or on a walk. Had to sit in the dark to answer the phone or anyone on the other end would have thought I was running a dog fighting ring.

They had a great time

devash
    Free Member

Completely normal. It can appear to get a bit vicious at times but thats just how puppies define boundaries and heirarchy within the ‘pack’.

Best they chew each other than your furniture.

myti
    Free Member

Normal. My lab is 7 and will still play fight with younger dogs that want a go especially my dad’s dog but she is in charge and will shut it down if it gets too much. She’ll do it for maybe 20 mins now but as a pub it could be hours.

yunki
    Free Member

My FIL’s lab and our patterjack have known each other since they were pups..
    They are best mates, and at six years old will playfight for hours if stuck in the garden together

CheesybeanZ

Our 5 month old pup fights with both her parents daily for as long as they let her , normally 30 / 40 minutes several times a day . Shes teething which doesn’t help her demeanour .

tenfoot

Our 7 month old pup does the same with our friend’s’ 9 month old pup. She doesn’t do it with my brother’s 1 year old, but I think it must be because we introduced her to our friend’s dog a lot earlier, and they’ve just carried it on.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

My two started fighting ten years ago and they’re still at it…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How long should sibling pups fight for?’ is closed to new replies.