Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • How long for booze to leave the body?
  • mattrgee
    Free Member

Morning,

Confused by how long it takes for alcohol to leave the body. Found a website that reckons a good rules of thumb is the numbers-of-units x 1.5 = hours for alcohol to leave the body.

So for instance, if I have 5 pints of reasonable strength ale over a 4 hour period that’s 12 units x 1.5 = 18 hours. But when does that 18 hour period start? After my last drink or after my first or somewhere in-between and when would you be safe to drive?

Getting paranoid with Xmas drinks on the cards and busy weekends ahead!

Thanks.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Only truly safe to drive when you haven’t had any the night before

craigxxl
    Free Member

Play it safe and just don’t drive the following day.

BoardinBob

This

Drink, or drive. Don’t do both.

If I’m out on a night out, I won’t be driving the next day. Even if I only have 5 pints.

martinhutch

Varies from person to person, but 1.5 hours per unit seems like a safeish approach.

Alcohol is a toxin, so your liver will be getting rid of it from the moment it hits your bloodstream. But the rate of absorption will be altered by other factors, eg whether you’re eating at the same time. So there’s no hard and fast rule.

So let’s say you start at 7pm and have five pints – by your reckoning even if you start to process that immediately, you’ll still have alcohol in your system the following morning, probably enough to be over the limit for most of it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Are we factoring in a Tactical Chunder into these equations?

nedrapier

I’ve read it’s a unit per hour. So if you make each pint last an hour and a half, you won’t get any drunker.

But everyone’s different, that’s probably wrong^ and often it’s hard to keep track of things.

mrjmt
    Free Member

We have regular random tests at work.

As a guideline we’re told an hour per unit starting from when you finish your last drink.

But as above, its best to just not drink or not drive the following day.

IANAD

binners

martinhutch

But everyone’s different, that’s probably wrong^

Probably 🙂

A pint of normal lager is 2 units approx, strong lagers more like 3.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

It varies massively person to person. Tested on a reasonable breathalyser (not a cheap nasty one). Morning after a wedding both friend and myself tested well over the limit. By lunch time I was registering consistently clean, he was still over. Both 30 year old males similar body type similar amount had to drink the night before.

slowoldman

As a guideline we’re told an hour per unit starting from when you finish your last drink.

But as above, its best to just not drink or not drive the following day.
    How much do you lot drink and how many hours do you sleep before getting up the next morning?

ferrals
    Free Member

5 pints and i wouldn’t be getting up the next day, let alone driving!!

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Simple answer do one or the other BUT NOT BOTH that way you don’t risk the lives of other people loosing your licence, job and so on!

Can you tell I don’t drink and can’t stand drunkedness lol

Drac

Don’t drink then if you have a busy weekend. Simple really.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45oV6PssNu4[/video]

john_drummer
    Free Member

IIRC a 4% beer is two units per 500ml, 5% beer is 2.5 units per 500ml, 6% beer is three units per 500ml, etc. A pint contains 568ml

gobuchul
    Free Member

If I’m out on a night out, I won’t be driving the next day. Even if I only have 5 pints.

So for instance, if I have 5 pints of reasonable strength ale over a 4 hour period that’s 12 units x 1.5 = 18 hours.

Seriously?

You drink 5 pints and don’t drive at all the next day?

Are you drinking extra strong Barley Wine or something?

I hope you are as careful when you are suffering from a cold or something that might reduce your superhero reflexes as much as 5 pints drank the night before. Also, suggest you turn the radio off and instruct any passengers not to speak.

Drac

You drink 5 pints and don’t drive at all the next day?

Very sensible of him.

I hope you are as careful when you are suffering from a cold or something that might reduce your superhero reflexes as much as 5 pints drank the night before. Also, suggest you turn the radio off and instruct any passengers not to speak.

🙄

soobalias
    Free Member

if i didnt drive the day after 5 pints my car would never leave the pub carpark.

ferrals
    Free Member

as careful when you are suffering from a cold

This is a valid point actually if you are really ill, i remember once trying to drive (admittedly i had pneumonia not a cold), got about 2 miles, realized I didn’t have a clue what was going on, was an absolute liability, and turned around and went home.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

5pints, anything from 10-15 units, plus some idiot will have suggested a whiskey to finish off the evening, so 15 unless you’re drinking from the bland end of the bar.

So 15-22.5 hours (1 or 1.5x) until you’re sober, kicking out time is usually midnight, so that’s 10:30 on Sunday EVENING before you might be sober.

My usual rule of thumb is if I think I’m OK to drive and have had more than a couple of drinks in the last 12 hours, I’m probably not OK (and leave the maths for the following morning).

mcj78
    Free Member

(I know it’s not real)

It’s surprising how much stays in your system though, especially with the recently lowered limit – at the Wickerman festival the police were doing free breath testing on the Sunday morning as folk were leaving – my missus went down despite only having one drink the previous afternoon and was unsurprisingly fine, but the guy in front of her was still 4 times the limit & obviously just about to head home…

peterfile
    Free Member

Interesting that people would still choose not to drive even when there is no alcohol in their system.

Presumably you don’t get in the car unless you’ve had 8 hours unbroken sleep too? Or if a black cat crossed your path the day before?

Obviously, if you have alcohol in your system or as a result of drinking you got a poor sleep the night before then that’s an entirely different proposition.

jimdubleyou

I should have dried out by the time I start again tonight…

binners

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRbZtCTzMg8[/video]

gobuchul
    Free Member

Very sensible of him.

Good point. I’m just off to finish my concrete bunker to put my ammo box light charging safety containment system in.

So 15-22.5 hours (1 or 1.5x) until you’re sober, kicking out time is usually midnight, so that’s 10:30 on Sunday EVENING before you might be sober.

What is it with this place?

Why do you not start breaking the alcohol down when you first start drinking? Does your liver wait until last orders have been called.

22.5 hours before you are fit to drive after 5 pints? Seriously?

I used to work at a place where we had a calibrated breathalyzer and access to lots of alcohol. We played with it. 5 pints 8 hours earlier would of blown zero.

mrjmt
    Free Member

How much do you lot drink and how many hours do you sleep before getting up the next morning?

Historically a lot in the industry however its turned around now and our limit is 29mg/100ml, the drink drive limit is 80mg/100ml.

Failing a test is a ban from working in the industry for minimum of 5 years.

Drac

Why do you not start breaking the alcohol down when you first start drinking? Does your liver wait until last orders have been called.

Well, because your body is already dealing with many toxins adding more slows the process of all that then to keep adding more makes it harder for the body to break them all down.

I used to work at a place where we had a calibrated breathalyzer and access to lots of alcohol. We played with it. 5 pints 8 hours earlier would of blown zero.

But you didn’t have blood tests which is far more accurate.

Good point. I’m just off to finish my concrete bunker to put my ammo box light charging safety containment system in.

I’m not even sure why you’re comparing charging lights to drink driving, now I see where there’s so many idiots who think they are safe.

scotroutes

And these are the same idiots we have to share the roads with.

Drink driving convictions are down 12% since the introduction of the lower limit in Scotland. Looks like the message is getting home.

mattrgee
    Free Member

I got the units from the below website:

Unit Calculator

As I drink real ale, I went for 5 pints at 4.5% to be on the safe side which came out at 13 units (2.6 units per pint).

Found this:

PDF

That’s exactly what I was asking tbf.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Well, because your body is already dealing with many toxins adding more slows the process of all that then to keep adding more makes it harder for the body to break them all down.

Wrong.

But you didn’t have blood tests which is far more accurate.

Yes they are. However, if you are blowing zero then the blood alcohol level is so low that it has no significant effect on your ability to drive or operate machinery safely.

I’m not even sure why you’re comparing charging lights to drink driving, now I see where there’s so many idiots who think they are safe.

Safe to do what? Drive or charge lights?

There are lots of threats in live, if you are too risk adverse you wouldn’t do anything.

The threat posed by somebody causing an accident due to adverse driving capacity caused a trace of alcohol in their system is insignificant.

Drac

Wrong.

Really? Go on then.

Safe to do what? Drive or charge lights?

Says it all.

scotroutes

As I said….

Drac

As I said….

/nods.

mattrgee
    Free Member

According to a number of sources, the minimum amount of time to leave after finishing your last drink is as follows:

4 x pints @ 4% is 10 hours + 1 hour for absorption, so 11 hours.

3 x 250ml glasses of 13% wine is 10.5 hours + 1 hour for absorption, so 11.5 hours.

3 x 70ml (a double) measure of a 40% spirit is 9 hours + 1 hour for absorption, so 10 hours.

I think the important thing to remember here is the word ‘minimum’.

jairaj

I thought the timer starts when you stopped drinking just to make the maths easier and to play it safer.

As far as I was aware there is a delay while the alcohol goes from your stomach into your body stream. But once it’s in the blood stream your body does start breaking the alcohol down straight away.

Also it gets complicated when you spread the drinking over time as your body is processing the first pint when you start drinking a second pint. So for a while there is overlap where you have remains of first pint plus the second pint. Then after a while more, you only have remains of second pint left in your blood stream.

It all gets even more complicated as there are many other factors to consider too. So as a rule of thumb start the sober timer when you finish your last drink.

BillOddie

I use the Railway Workers rule of thumb.

12 hours after your last drink, you should be OK.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

This is an interesting link looking it as Blood Alcohol Content relative to weight etc.
    Browns Uni – BAC

Some of the weights and measures used are in US Imperial but the key points are the same which is predominantly that BAC is a function of weight.

slowoldman

So on the basis that a 4% pint is a “2.5 hr drink”, if I quaff a half with my lunch, I should wait 1.25 hrs before driving home?

jon1973
    Free Member

So on the basis that a 4% pint is a “2.5 hr drink”, if I quaff a half with my lunch, I should wait 1.25 hrs before driving home?

Depends whether you want to be under the limit or you want your body to be alcohol free.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘How long for booze to leave the body?’ is closed to new replies.