Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • How light is your 29er?
  • monkeyp

My Scalpel carbon 1 was 23lb out of the box on my scales. Soon to drop 1/2lb by going to 1×11.

Love it 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

The service and quality from lb is amazing.

Yes, agreed, can’t argue at all! Tempted to try some of their 320g tub rims!

frood
    Free Member

Fireline:
    with proper tyres, 120mm fork, dropper and 1×10, 26lbs
    single speed, rigid with 2.0 race tyres 20lbs.

Codeine: 32lbs

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Here’s my Superfly 9.6. Stock apart from the Crests. Weighs about 24lbs. Where’s the best place to make some weight cuts?

nickwatson
    Free Member

8.4kg, using luggage scales. Frame/fork are very light, components reasonably so …

Now split, as all the parts are on my new bike (Stanton Sherpa), and frame and forks getting ready to sell.

Nick

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Cannondale F3 hardtail, as stock 11kg, now 10.3kg after going tubeless, 1 * 10, new grips and few other things.

Will lose another half kg with new bars, post, saddle, and brakes. All being ordered at the weekend 😀

New race wheels need to be bought. Do LB do Lefty hubs? If not then I think ActionSports.de have some interesting looking deals.

Edit, so 22.7lb now, aiming for 20.5lb without going too silly.

njee20
    Free Member

Do LB do Lefty hubs? If not then I think ActionSports.de have some interesting looking deals.

They seem to be able to get most things, but their prices aren’t all that competitive on hubs/builds – I’d just get rims, and source hubs yourself. Isn’t the stock Cannondale hub really light anyway? Could just re-use that?

mrblobby
    Free Member

22.5lbs for my budget Scandal build. Heavy seatpost and saddle now swapped for a RItchey WCS and an SLR. Chainring now an AB oval.

If I rode more XC I’d swap the wheels for some LB ones, forks for SIDs, frame for something light and carbon, chainset, groupset… 🙂

Liking that Open build.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Thanks Njee, good info.

The stock hub is 135grams, so pretty good.

I have an option to buy a friends front wheel which is 710 inc disk with carbon rim and Aerolite spokes, so I might see if I can get a rear to match.

Else the Fun Works Atmosphere SL rims at 395grams each look promising, and the build costs are good too.

ernie

The new whip.Weighs something like 22lb.

rsvktm

Trek Superfly 100 elite sl, 1x, American Classic race wheels, Bonty 29-1 tyres tubeless, rest standard. Circa 22lbs, could make it lighter but happy enough as it just works.

That cannondale looks sweet and they ride really well, fancy the new fsi but have a few wheel sets and would entail yet another standard !

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Nice ernie, nice!

ernie

Thanks. I’m looking forward to new bike day. I’m very lucky to have a sponsor that supplies only top quality bikes. Last year was my first time on Cannondale (Flash Team) – they really are superb bikes. Went for a full sus for 2015 after so many positive comments.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Need to weigh my Surly KM, it’s rigid with full XT bits (crank, wheels, brakes etc..), set up as a SS.

Think it would be below 10kg, but the bars and stem aren’t the lightest, neither is the stainless surly tug nut.

mashiehood
    Free Member

earnie – the scalpels are great bikes you will love it.

njee20
    Free Member

The stock hub is 135grams, so pretty good

115g for cheap!

That’s great Ernie – I’ll bring the scales to Sherwood in anticipation 😉

reggiegasket
    Free Member

current spec is 9.1kg

Cube Reaction Pro, Kinesis IX fork, 1×10.

may go with some carbon rims next…

DanW
    Free Member

The stock hub is 135grams, so pretty good

The Lefty SI hubs seem to vary quite a lot in weight. It might be slightly different iterations I’m not sure. I’ve seen them ~110-145g including the bolt and most often when you see a lower quoted weight it is without the bolt. Best thing is to contact a builder and select the lightest off the shelf 😀

Regardless, the SI hubs are very light and very cheap as you say. An AC or Mack hub on the rear with LB rims would be nice and light 😀

Scalpel looks awesome!

tomlevell

Medium FF29.
    26.7lb with normal wheels (Stans Arch), dropper, winter tyres (front one is over a kilo)
    24.6lb with race wheels (Crests), normal post and race tyres

Not silly money and very capable although experience suggests Stans Crests and Revs are race only for me.
    Frames not light at 1899g

[url=https://flic.kr/p/kZCKpJ]Birthday Commute[/url] by tomlevell, on Flickr

whitestone
    Free Member

Cotic Solaris, large with 1×10 drivetrain, nothing fancy in the spec. 11Kg +/- 0.5Kg

Could get it quite a bit lighter but it would cost serious money and other than bragging rights I don’t think it would gain anything. Easier to lose a couple of Kg off my belly 😛

c_klein87

the scalpel are definitely 22 something, felt light but not unbelievable on the one i had a go on. lovely though.

not sure on peoples scales accuracy on here….

my ktm, carbon wheels, light cranks, xx1, carbon bars and proper tyres is just under 22

davemonty
    Free Member

What saddles are people using?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Judging by some of the weights, ones filled with helium

mrblobby
    Free Member

Oooh which are you disputing? Love a good weight wheenie debate 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

22lb for that scalpel team? thought it would be lighter if I’m honest

dirtyrider
    Free Member
    tomlevell

A heavy Bonty on the dropper and a Ti WTB on the normal post.

Every item weighed on digital scales.
    Mind you I haven’t had them calibrated ;0)
    Frame came out over the manufacturers weight and 100g less than the other persons large.
    Other components came out pretty close to manufacturers claims. Especially the Bonty tyres, I was expecting a far bigger variance.

benp1

Are you weighing with luggage scales, bathroom scales, or something else?

njee20
    Free Member

Oooh which are you disputing? Love a good weight wheenie debate

Agreed! Some mildly dubious ones here, nothing vastly contentious though IMO!

Saddle wise – I’ve got a Bontrager Evoke RXL Carbon. Light, comfy, lasted well.

Are you weighing with luggage scales, bathroom scales, or something else?

I use a Topeak Prepstand Pro with integrated scales.

molgrips
    Free Member

Steel frame, rigid fork, older XTR 3×9, some light finishing kit and it still weighs 26lbs 🙁

ernie

Myself or nejee will give an update on the Scalpel post weigh in. My 2014 Flash was 18.75lb, which was very nice. Current weight of the rider will embaress the bike though:-(

PJM1974
    Free Member

Stumpy 29er here, it tipped the scales at 30lb straight out of the showroom.

Since then, I’ve swapped the bars (wider) and stem (shorter), the gears and brakes (from X7/X9 & Formula to XT and Hope M4), fitted DX clipless pedals, rebuilt the stock rims with Hope hubs and DB spokes. I’ve also dispensed with the flyweight inner tubes.

It’s probably well over 30lb (even more so thanks to the bottle and cage) but it’s a whole league faster than my 27.5lb Camber 26er though.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

My 2014 Flash was 18.75lb

Spec list please, (for a little inspiration) 8)

tpbiker
    Free Member

my grand canyon arrived this morning. Weighs in at 23.3lb with pedals. Going tubeless and 1×10 should drop it to under 22lbs

flange
    Free Member

We need Anthem man back – he was awesome. Stock XT build and it came in at 19lbs or something…

Not sure what my MTB weighs at the moment, my road bike is quite light though…

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

About 22lbs for my Salsa Marmasita singlespeed with X-Fusion fork, Halo Vapour rims on DMR hubs.
    I could probably drop a couple of pounds off it if I spent another £500 to £1000 but that wouldn’t make the sun shine any more often.

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘How light is your 29er?’ is closed to new replies.