• This topic has 38 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • How have the designers at SsangYong…
  • SaxonRider

not been tried in The Hague for crimes against humanity?

The Kyron is so hideous, so absolutely seizure-inducingly horrid, that its creators should be behind bars. Or worse.

Discuss.

Actually, don’t. There’s nothing else to say.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No worse than the big BMW abortion.

m0rk
    Free Member

One of my neighbours has bought a new SsangYong Tivoli

The depreciation must be practically freefall.

km79
    Free Member

Someone got paid to design that. Which means someone must have paid them.

😯

Bregante

Aw come on, compared to the Rodius – it’s a looker

slowoldgit
    Free Member

On the brighter side, it would make a Berlingo look almost pretty.

Kryton57

The Kyron is so hideous

Phew, i dodged a bullet there.

prawny

Tbf the tivoli looks OK, as did the rexton. The rodius though, good God

DrP

I’ve never quite got why people would ‘avoid the big brands’ for something like this..it’s Not going to be half the price, is it?

I saw a car brand I’d never heard of last week, and just wondered what would a-draw someone towards it, and b-why avoid ford/VAG/vauxhall etc…

They are common for a reason, surely?

DrP

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’m surprised how much Ssangyongs cost, you’d think they’d be cheap as chips but fairly functional if not that great – a bit like Dacia. Ssangyongs on the other hand seem to be priced way too close to proper cars for anyone to ever buy one.

tomd
    Free Member

My cousin actually owns one of those. In fact, when he came over here on holiday to visit he sought out one from the hire company here and hired one for the holiday just so he didn’t need to try another car.

I did ask him W on actual F was he thinking. Essentially, it is the cheapest 7 seat beast of family mobile money can buy bar none. The one he bought at home was silly cheap, like 10K euros for nearly new car. Where he lives and with the use it gets any car will be wrecked in 5 years so he figured it might as well be this cheap ugly beast.

maccruiskeen

I saw a car brand I’d never heard of last week, and just wondered what would a-draw someone towards it, and b-why avoid ford/VAG/vauxhall etc…

They are common for a reason, surely?

The only thing keeping the established European and Japanese brands out of the shit is the fact that Korean and Chinese manufacturers can’t yet second guess or lead european consumer taste. Even trying to make near carbon copies they often don’t appreciate subtle details and a miss can be as good as a mile. Its not a case or pretty or ugly – its one of inauthenticity.

However in the last few years you’d have to be paying attention to even notice a Kia – their current models obviously ape Ford’s range and are clearly derivative but its a well executed derivative – they get the tone and the subtle details right. From there its not a massive leap from following closely to leading.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

From behind that Kyron looks like a trainer moulded over the back of a Dacia.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s ugly, but £4k for a 2.0 diesel with 65k on the clock? I could live with it.

Superficial
    Free Member

I wouldn’t t go as far as saying I could live with. It, but it’s certainly very cheap. The original owners must get screwed on depreciation.

There is a school of thought that believes that far eastern people perceive beauty a bit differently because they’re used to looking at different-shaped faces, compared to Westerners. This can translate to car design, apparently, so that car may not look hideous to a Korean. It’s also why recent Mercedes look a bit… blobby – they’re trying to appeal to a different market. Most Japanese cars look alright though so maybe this logic falls down a bit (do Japanese and Koreans have different face shapes? Maybe they do).

Still, if Ssssangyong plan to sell in great numbers over here they surely need to change the design. It’s so off putting it could be the cheapest and best car in its class and people still wouldn’t buy it.

BigJohn

Think Bentayaga and understand.

meeeee
    Free Member

According to Wikipedia about the rodius

The car was designed by Ken Greenley,[5] former head of the automotive design course at the Royal College of Art in London. The design goal was to capture the essence of a luxury yacht[citation needed].

Maybe that’s why he was former head… 🙂

hora
    Free Member

OP seen their other stuff? Why post a pic of an old model?

Much better than Audi. Ugly gives character at least blanded down by design? No ta.

user-removed
    Free Member

Maybe it’s my age (43) but I just don’t care what cars look like. If it starts, drives me and my little family nine hours to Skye to visit my parents to make sure they’re ok, then gets me back again without breaking the bank, I’m happy.

Sure, I still look at middle age crisis cars and feel a stirring in my loins but it’s akin to visiting a nightclub and remembering being 25 again. They look lovely but they’re utterly impractical.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Is it just me who thinks a second hand rodius might make a good bike bus then?

hora
    Free Member

One of my all time regrets is getting rid of the Xsara Picasso.

It did all jobs, a practical car but didn’t look like warmed up supermarket hatch sadly

mattsccm
    Free Member

Depreciation aside, lets talk used one, what does it look like inside.? Its a car FFS. Quiet possibly no worse looking that the current set of BMWs( that have yet to make a nice looking car in the 21st C) Most modern cars a) look the same and b) are foul.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Wat. Bangle for king! Far more original than that Ives character…

footflaps

However in the last few years you’d have to be paying attention to even notice a Kia – their current models obviously ape Ford’s range and are clearly derivative but its a well executed derivative – they get the tone and the subtle details right. From there its not a massive leap from following closely to leading.

More likely an Audi derivative, they poached Audi’s lead designer a few years back and he has re-styled their entire European range over the last 6 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Schreyer

They’ve also poached BMW’s M division drive train designer….

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/hyundai-snares-key-bmw-engineer-head-high-performance-division

blader1611
    Free Member

Sorry but if you have seen the new Bentley mpv then you will truly understand the meaning of ugly. The car costs a fortune and yet the front of it has more chicken wire on it than a hen house.

pictonroad

I’ve never quite got why people would ‘avoid the big brands’ for something like this..it’s Not going to be half the price, is it?

People will buy ANYTHING if it’s cheap and these are cheap. See the “Fox Hoody PSA” for reference.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Now considered a collectible classic. ?

Superficial
    Free Member

The Bangle Z4 Coupe is the best-looking mass-produced car of the last 20 years IMO. Some of the stupid monster truck BMWs look terrible, but the normal range looks decent enough, doesn’t it?

funkmasterp

Just looks like any other car to me. If it’s cheap, goes from A to B with no hassle and is relatively cheap to run it’s a winner in my eyes. Cheap ugly car results in more money for nice bikes / bike bits 😀

milky1980
    Free Member

The local dealer’s only salesperson lives on my estate, they have a Tivoli and a Rexton on the drive complete with small dealer lettering on the boots. I like to think they’re saying “I work here so get this for free!”

markcurtains
    Free Member
    captainsasquatch
    Free Member

A mate owned a Rodious and loved the space.
    The only advantage I can see of driving one is that there will be one less to look at.

holst
    Free Member

The only thing keeping the established European and Japanese brands out of the shit is the fact that Korean and Chinese manufacturers can’t yet second guess or lead european consumer taste. Even trying to make near carbon copies they often don’t appreciate subtle details and a miss can be as good as a mile. Its not a case or pretty or ugly – its one of inauthenticity

That’s what we used to say about Japanese cars 30 years ago.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Even the worst modern car is better than the vast majority what was about 20 years ago.

They’re safer, cheaper, more efficient and more comfortable.

Imagine how bad a Mark III Cavalier would seem now and that was considered a pretty decent family car?

I used to worry about car badges and stuff, now I don’t car. If I needed a cheap 7 seater then I would drive one of those things, despite being fugly.

CountZero

do Japanese and Koreans have different face shapes? Maybe they do).

Yes, they do; quite markedly so, in many cases. Sometimes it’s difficult to tell*, there’s quite some variation, but it’s a bit like Welsh and Scottish facial features, there are noticeable differences that, once you notice it, it’s really easy to pick someone out.
    Chinese have different facial features to Japanese and Korean, and the Ainu, the aboriginal Japanese from the far North, have different features again.
    *which can be a bit embarrassing when you get it wrong… 😳

scaredypants

Think Bentayaga and understand.

Yep. I see one of those on the M27 pretty much every week. Poor tasteless **** driving it probably thinks he’s king shit (without the silent “of” in the middle 😀 )

robfury
    Free Member

One of my customers had a Rodius. I was working on it, look underneath so much rust! It was only 2years old. Almost no under seal on the thing.

I would nt touch one as a second hand car. Build quality is shocking

DrP

People will buy ANYTHING if it’s cheap and these are cheap. See the “Fox Hoody PSA” for reference

Very good… 😉

DrP

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘How have the designers at SsangYong…’ is closed to new replies.