Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • How good is Llandegla,
  • bwaarp
    Free Member

Mike has it closest I think.
    Since it opened I have attended to + paramedics at least 3 people I have been riding with & 2 I have found in a crumpled heap on the track.
    I also know of at least 5 mates that have mullered themselves there.

It might look easy but as the speed goes up so does the mess when it goes wrong.

So your saying the Alps and Fort Williams should downgrade their trails for pikeys and noobs? Great. The Pleney is easy to ride at speed, that’s what makes it fun. You just have to stay within your limits and have a few slower runs first to get used to the track.

The trails should start putting “slow your rebound down” because of all the twits I see bouncing back and fourth on stupidly high rebound shocks and forks. I reckon that’s partly the reason for a lot of the offs with newbies to the sport.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Llandegla is great fun, that’s all you need to know. If you know how to have fun of course.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Llandegla to me feels like a lot of effort for not much reward. It’s a strange place as I always feel I have ridden further uphill than I have ridden downhill, the complete opposite of Innerleithen of Glentress for example.

The first time I rode Llandegla I was expecting a nice run down to the car park for example, it never appeared?

I think I prefer a big steep climb followed be a load of gravity assisted trails to one that is uppy downy all the way.

Lots of people love it though and it’s nicely accessible to lots of people too so I can’t knock it. Personally I prefer the Peaks / Rivington.

eyerideit
    Free Member

coolhandluke – Member
    Llandegla to me feels like a lot of effort for not much reward. It’s a strange place as I always feel I have ridden further uphill than I have ridden downhill, the complete opposite of Innerleithen of Glentress for example.

The first time I rode Llandegla I was expecting a nice run down to the car park for example, it never appeared?

I know what you mean, the end of the red trail is quite a big climb and there is no ‘reward’. But I didn’t mind that and the down bits really encouraged us to attack them.

Not been to Glentress, would like to give it a go.

emac65
    Free Member

So Llandegla is the new CYB,it’s the place real MTBers love to hate because it’s “too sanatised”………The story is always the same it’s just the names that change………lol……

I just like riding me bike off road,anywhere……..

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Not really. Just dislike it because you start off on a descent, saddle down, to find around the next corner there’s a climb, followed by another climb.

It’s like that optical illusion staircase. You do so much climbing that you expect a big descent to the carpark, and then, bang you climb into the carpark. How does that work???

I like Afan for instance. A climb is a climb and a descent is a descent. Glentress is also good for that.

Not having a local trail centre I can’t say whether I am anti them or not.

eyerideit
    Free Member

I was expecting something for all that climbing at the end, I spoke to a guy who my friends were renting a cottage off and he said its been changed recently there used to be a good descent into the car park but now there’s only the climb.

Good climb though isn’t it? You can really taste your lungs at the end.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Since it opened I have attended to + paramedics at least 3 people I have been riding with & 2 I have found in a crumpled heap on the track.

It might look easy but as the speed goes up so does the mess when it goes wrong.

This forum guarantees you to find someone speaking out of their bum hole but you’ve really outdone yourself there.

Yes, it does look easy. Its a red and black graded trail but where it differs against the ‘normal’ FC owned trail centres is that the gradings are what they are due to the jumps and speed, not because of the length, remoteness and rocky, singletrack nature of the route.

If you’re not confident enough at riding a red or a black route, you shouldn’t be there. Theres enough signs indicating what the trail grades equate to. Maybe some of your mates should read them and stick to the blue/green routes.

And yes, of course accidents happen to the best but there is always an element of risk associated with mountain biking. Said it on the thread about the Gisburn Slab the other week… its not the feature itself that scares people, its the thought of falling off it.

Riding a bike in the great outdoors = risky.
    Riding a bike on a trail littered with features you’re not confident enough to ride = risk increases greatly.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

This forum guarantees you to find someone speaking out of their bum hole but you’ve really outdone yourself there.

Yes, it does look easy. Its a red and black graded trail but where it differs against the ‘normal’ FC owned trail centres is that the gradings are what they are due to the jumps and speed, not because of the length, remoteness and rocky, singletrack nature of the route.

If you’re not confident enough at riding a red or a black route, you shouldn’t be there. Theres enough signs indicating what the trail grades equate to. Maybe some of your mates should read them and stick to the blue/green routes.

And yes, of course accidents happen to the best but there is always an element of risk associated with mountain biking. Said it on the thread about the Gisburn Slab the other week… its not the feature itself that scares people, its the thought of falling off it.

Riding a bike in the great outdoors = risky.
    Riding a bike on a trail littered with features you’re not confident enough to ride = risk increases greatly.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Actually I take some of that back, its mwleeds who suggest that Llandegla is poorly designed who I don’t agree with.

Rubbish. Its built to be ridden fast by people who want to jump and hit drops.

_tom_
    Free Member

Llandegla to me feels like a lot of effort for not much reward.

I feel the same way, I also feel like this about most other trail centres I’ve ridden – CyB was a bit like it as well. Nant Yr Arian was less like this and I think why I preferred it. Prefer to have longer climbs before long descents rather than undulating.

Its built to be ridden fast by people who want to jump and hit drops.

I thought the jumps were designed weird. They’re all really short and easy to overshoot for how much speed you have.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Llandegla is a good ride, it just needs to be rode fast IMO, the cafe and the feel of the place is top notch 🙂

mwleeds

I don’t usually bother with threads about Llandegla. Some like it, some don’t. Judging by the fact I’ve just bought a season parking ticket I’m clearly in the first camp!

bwaarp, I don’t think I mentioned the alps or Fort William but I appologise for the over generalisation. I should have put man made xc trails in the uk.

DBW, You’re right it definitely does what it sets out to do. That is, entertain people who like to ride fast over jumps and drops. I guess what I could have said was, it’s reputation as a ‘soft’ trail centre is potentially dangerous. Though that’s clearly not Landgela’s fault, nor is it their fault that they attract a lot of people that are new to the sport. Or put another way, other man made trails do a better job of controlling speed based on riders varied abilities… 🙂

FOG

This has been interesting for me as my main riding mate has been trying to get me to go for ages. He has recently had a road to Damascus moment. He used to be sniffy about trail centres, not feeling he had had a day out if we hadn’t pushed and floundered across a trackless bog for 5 hours. Now he can’t get enough of them partly I think because his son os really into them. I’ll give it a go, no time on a bike is entirely wasted but it sounds as if I won’t become a regular

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

I enjoyed it as my first ride after a few months off because of illness, and I did like the skills area for brushing up on technique after some time off. The long draggy climb at the start is a bit of a bummer though.

Didn’t see many families on the red bits but the parts where the blue and red are the same there were quite a few. But if you want to avoid families, you can ride later in the day when most of them have gone home, just you won’t catch the cafe after your ride!

eyerideit
    Free Member

FOG – Member
    This has been interesting for me as my main riding mate has been trying to get me to go for ages. He has recently had a road to Damascus moment. He used to be sniffy about trail centres, not feeling he had had a day out if we hadn’t pushed and floundered across a trackless bog for 5 hours. Now he can’t get enough of them partly I think because his son os really into them. I’ll give it a go, no time on a bike is entirely wasted but it sounds as if I won’t become a regular

Ride it first, them make up your mind. It might not be the hardest but it was fun. Really good fun. The downhills are fast and encourage you to go faster, it’s no Rangers Path but if you do have a spill you will be punished. I’d happily spend more time there as I would at any trail centre or natural trail. The fact there’s so much variety to ride should is a good thing and should be celebrated.

If you’re finding too easy push harder, that’s what we did, there’s loads of unexpected air but as long as you’re focused you come out with a grin.

It’s not for everyone which I’m glad off as there’s more room for those who like ‘that kind of thing’.

kayak23

Llandegla is fun…. Its not technical in any way but if you come from a 4x and bmx background and like to hit jumps then the new bit is really a lot of fun.
    The fact that a lot of folk are injuring themselves there is exactly why trail centres are somewhat ‘sanitised’. They have to be made relatively safe due to the people who ride beyond their limits all too often.
    I’ve ridden a lot of trail centres now and am always wishing for more kickers and drops and hard bits but the fact is, they don’t exist because they are supposed to have wide-ranging appeal and to be as safe as possible.
    Sometimes I want to be out in the natural environment and sometimes I just want to get as much air as I can at every opportunity. Trail centres and Llandegla in particular are good for that.

Neil Donoghue seems to enjoy the ‘Degla….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwsKacRpKxQ[/video]

kimbers

well I like it

My in laws are on the wirral so when visiting i can get out early do a lap of the black, have a run down the freeride section and be back for sunday lunch!

Id love to be an all mountain epic hero but a wife, kids and a job mean that ill take my riding where i can get it.

the cafe is excellent too!
    the trails themselves have got better as theyve worn and got roughed up, the new sections have really improved the overall ride and its a good place to get your jumps dialed!
    so what if the trails wide, its quite busy so at least you have room to overtake
    and yeah climbing sucks but theres plenty of descending to be had too, as said by everyone else the faster you ride it the better it is.

therag
    Free Member

I rode it 2 weeks ago with 11 mates, all with totally different backgrounds, some ex motocross riders, some dirt jumpers and a couple with just a few months bike expierance.

We all loved it and want to come back soon.
    I didn’t mind the easyish 1st climb as I was aching from cyb the day before.

_tom_
    Free Member

sometimes I just want to get as much air as I can at every opportunity. Trail centres and Llandegla in particular are good for that.

A set of proper dirt jumps or a bmx track would be much better for that than the jumps at Llandegla.

eyerideit
    Free Member

_tom_ – Member
    sometimes I just want to get as much air as I can at every opportunity. Trail centres and Llandegla in particular are good for that.
    A set of proper dirt jumps or a bmx track would be much better for that than the jumps at Llandegla.

Did you watch that video?

They jumps loo just fine to me.

Great video and skills to match.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ve ridden it. The jumps are ok but not as good as they appear in the video. I was a bit disappointed.

deanfbm
    Free Member

It’s a bit meh.

I’d love it for a local xc blast but not for a day out.

The first actual descent which is the switchbacks in the trees is very very fun. The rest including the b-line isn’t worth the effort. B-lines jumps are too small for the speed you can generate. Good if you can’t jump, a bit rubbish if you’re itching to get properly airborne.

kudos100
    Free Member

I enjoyed it when I went there. Granted it is not gnarly tech mtb, but good fun if you like messing about on jumps and berms.

I look at it as a big bmx track for mtb and had a good laugh. If you are expecting meaty downhills with loads of technical bits then it will not be that exciting.

Jeffus
    Free Member
    fairhurst
    Free Member

Swoopy Doopy Delights! Fun Fun Fun!

_tom_
    Free Member

I quite enjoyed riding that Parallel Universe actually. I think I was just generally disappointed as there was so much internet hype about it being an awesome jumpy trail and it just.. wasn’t. I’m still searching for a UK fix to get me close to the feeling of riding Freight Train > Dirt Merchant > A-Line, or Black Velvet > Crank It Up, but I don’t think such a thing exists 🙁

eyerideit
    Free Member

_tom_ – Member
    I’ve ridden it. The jumps are ok but not as good as they appear in the video. I was a bit disappointed.

I can only go by my experience and what it shows in the video. I really enjoyed it and kayak23 is really having a blast. You seem to ride more freeride stuff (according to the trail centre/AM post) so of course you’d find it all a bit lame.

deanfbm – Member
    It’s a bit meh.
    I’d love it for a local xc blast but not for a day out.

I agree with you there you could easily do 2 laps in a morning. But if you did stay there all day you could get a load of 13 year olds to show you how to ride the skills, pump tracks or keep riding the trail harder each time.

I’d love to spend a full day there just to see how much air I could get with each successive lap.

After all aren’t trail centres practice for when you get on the ‘real stuff’?

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘How good is Llandegla,’ is closed to new replies.