• This topic has 32 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Elmo.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • how good are nobby nics?
  • Pook

Now they’re available with red bits, I’m interested….

Hadge
    Free Member

I must admit, I didn’t like the look of the ones with the white stripes round them as they looked garish to me. I run the older all black ones and I think they’re very good giving good grip in sticky stuff but still roll fast when it’s dry. I think I’ll need some new ones soon so hope there’s a choice.

beanieripper
    Free Member

they are sh1t, sketchy, not very grippy and tear easily or amazingly fast and grippy for the speed, you choose….and the stripes are a big fail

seosamh77
    Free Member

had them on the bike for a week, rode them on the road and off road, in the dry and in mud, great it think! the silver stripe definitely makes the faster!

skiboy
    Free Member

just got some today to fit to a new pair of Flows, £45 each, evos with DD and triple compound, they are a bugger to fit to stans rims, tighter than 819’s with kendas, bugger my hands hurt, will let you know grip level sunday

druidh
    Free Member

Rubbish. I just gave some away and replaced them with ADvantages.

sharki
    Free Member

I never got on with them, either pinch flatted them alot or tore the side knobbles off, great race tyre, poor trail tyre for my type of riding IMO

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not very.

Too lightweight for me, kept deforming and flexing in corners. OK for light riders.

antigee

pinch flatted them alot

my bad experience 4 in an hour on langsett to cutgate

transapp
    Free Member

good for decent grip and good speed, Probably a great allround tyre. However, my last rear on the HT exploded at the sidewal, not due to a rock but it actually wore out in a fatigue kind of way as it flexed over the rim due to the low pressures I run. Tyre had only done 200km when it blew.
    Still have one on the front though when racing, I just wouln’t trust it for a proper wilderness ride.

bol

I’ve always got on well with them. Set up right and with trails that aren’t too rocky they’re perfect for me. I’ve never pinch flatted, but they are quite pressure sensitive. Too much and they’re hard as nails and too little and they’re squirmy. I guess you could say that for most tyres, but the sweet spot is quite small for Nics.

popartpoem
    Free Member

I use the UST version. Great on the front in mixed condotions – put a Racing Ralph on the back to balance grip & rolling resistance.

I doubt I’ll be using them in deep winter though.

vegasdave
    Free Member

Didn’t get ob with them. Tore the sidewall in the woods…

alpin
    Free Member

that’s funny. just about every rider that i see on an alpen cross are running NN.

their bigger brother Fat Albert is ok. i run them often, never had a problem.

oh, and the strips are gash, IMO.

Pauly

Absolutely brilliant all rounders, apart from very rocky terrain where the sidewalls on the older ones didn’t stand up to it.
    Can’t comment on the new DD ones yet.

lowey

rubbish tyre for me. Swapped for Advantage and never looked back

mralexbenn
    Free Member

Got on one the front of my 456 and find it grips really well on lose dry stuff and with the recent rain I have hit some big lumps of gloop at speed and it’s onl taken a split second to bite. I am around 12 stone so they might be better for lighter riders. Would say I prefer them to the advantages but they will be coming out if we get more snow this coming winter

rwc03
    Free Member

Only tyre I use all year round, loads of grip and very fast. Never had a puncture on them, but I do run them at 45-50 psi. Marmite product in my opinion, but then I love marmite.

Popocatapetl

I’ve been running them for a while tubeless including 4 laps at the 10 @KT lately. great grip, much better than i expected. I’m taking them to Morzine next week and am confident that i will pass a few Storm troopers 😆 But red trimmings are proper Jey aren’t they! oh, did i mention i was going to morzine 😆

trailertrash

but I do run them at 45-50 psi

😯

ashfanman
    Free Member

I ran Nics up front for a few years and never punctured once. They’re really light and pretty fast rolling, but I found them really sketchy at higher pressures. Anything much above 32psi and mine was washing out all over the place.

Went for Minion DHF (with a Larsen TT on the rear) on the new build.

EDIT:

Never had a puncture on them, but I do run them at 45-50 psi.

Holy Christ. Did you have any grip at all at those pressures? That must have been like cycling on ice! 😯

4ndyB
    Free Member

No problems with them for me

I use it as a front tyre in summer with a Ralph at the back & a rear tyre in winter with a Black Shark Mud up front. Love ’em

DT78
    Free Member

Ran nn rr combo last summer fast but definitely a lot less grip than the current advantage crossmark combo. 300g weight difference though which is noticable – that’s on 2.25 schwalbes vs 2.35 maxxis

flow
    Free Member

Very good all round tyre, whoever says they aren’t grippy must be running them too hard. They roll quick and they are light. They are a bit fragile and puncture pretty easy, but thats what you get with a lightweight tyre!

They do a snake skin version which has reinforced sidewalls, not tryed them though.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’m a big rider hence the name and I’ve used Nobby Nics for a few years without problem. I’ve ran them tubed and now tubeless and no pinch flats despite banging the rims more than a few times. I’ve run them with a RR at the back and marked up the sidewalls quite bad at Cutgate but no splits.
    The current tyres are the 2011 pacestar compound, snake skins, with the tubeless ready bead; basically a soft rubber coating on the bead. They are faster rolling and grippier which may be because of running them tubeless.

empy
    Free Member

Been using them for about a year during summer in dry Southdowns conditions on Stans Flows- v. grippy and good volume for 2.25. But sidewalls rip v. easily, so wouldn’t trust tubeless. Not an all year tyre by any means.

snowpaul
    Free Member

A mate gave me his part worn one to try – as he hated it…

– in a nutshell its not a tyre I would pay money for. Fragile – I use it as a canal path tyre now = it is fast though

ho hum

Pook

So, for peak district gritstone it’s a no no.

flow
    Free Member

Buy some, guarantee they will be fine.

rwc03
    Free Member

I find them fine at 45 psi this time of year. Personally I think nics need a higher pressure than other tyres, otherwise they are a bit sketchy (well for me at 14 stone). Just personal preference really, what suits me for the trials I ride. Must admit I let a bit of air out if its wet and technical.

TheFlyingOx

Agree with the high pressure. I went tubeless NN on my old HT and had them at 60 psi on a very wet Glentress and loved it.

Torn the sidewall on my current NN though, and I’m thinking about a Maxxis Advantage Lust replacement.

coogan
    Free Member

I thought they were utter guff. Off the bike in a month and sold as fast as I could get rid of them.

Elmo
    Free Member

Agree with the higher pressures needed.

I have them on my hardtail.
    Had them on a demo full suss for a day. Tore the back one! 🙁
    But as they say I was “riding it like I stole it”.
    This time I’ve never had a problem, I reckon over half the tyres a mayhem were NN! Or Schwalbe of some description!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘how good are nobby nics?’ is closed to new replies.