Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • How do you keep fit and riding in such bad weather?
  • binners

Yunki sums it up perfectly! If your riding opportunities are limited by the time spent with your kids, then you take every chance to get out. For years, when the kids were really young, I didn’t ride in daylight. Ever! Just out at night, after the kids were in bed.

I find that not being a massive mincing gayer often helps too 😉

Seriously – MTFU! Its only rain. God/Allah/Supreme-Being-of-choice cleverly designed us so we wouldn’t dissolve in rainwater. Just as well if you live where I do. They put reservoirs there for a damn good reason

Solo
    Free Member

I find that not being a massive mincing gayer often helps too

Seriously – MTFU! Its only rain

😆

Here, you’ll need one of these.

binners

I’ve already got a wide selection. All with matching shoes 😉

Solo
    Free Member

I’ve already got a wide selection. All with matching shoes

You’re just showing off now.
    😀

geologist
    Free Member

Ride on Friday afternoon and Sunday nights. Swim 4 sessions a week (upto 2 miles total per session).
    In the summer that will turn to 3 or 4 rides a week and 2 swim sessions.

Riding fewer times in the crappy winter makes me want it more, I couldn’t ride 4 times a week this time of year in these conditions.

binners

ton

this mornings wind in the face commute was a bit testing……but i passed with aplomb…. 😉

therealhoops
    Free Member

ppff!

I’ve missed the last 14weeks with a broken scaphoid, radius, dislocated perilunate, broken capsule and a really hurty knee. AND it now looks like I’ve got scapholunate dissociation which will require pinning and another 10 weeks in a cast but I’m still *riding!!!

*not actually offroad though, christ no! just turbo trainer stuff and the odd road ride at night. Anything to slow the winter coat around my belly from getting even bigger.

Solo
    Free Member

😯

*thought Bin-bins was joking*

_tom_
    Free Member

Road bike and try not to care too much about it getting muddy/chain going crusty! Its been so windy recently though especially on our fairly open roads with not much tree/hedge cover to take some of the wind.

tonyd

Training counts double if you do it in cack weather. Honest

More truth in that than you realise. Riding into the howling wind or struggling through mud all winter makes you much fitter/stronger/faster come spring.

Good kit is well worth the extra pennies. Staying warm and dry when it’s wet and miserable outside makes it all seem much more enjoyable.

Now that we’re in February I’ve resurrected my 35 mile round trip commute, first day was yesterday. Lovely ride in, cold but I was wrapped up nicely. Ride home nearly killed me – I naively decided to cut down on my food intake yesterday too so I was hanging on for grim death for the last 10 miles home last night. Into the wind. Got home and laid on the garage floor for 20 minutes while the missus fed me oranges and bananas and the children poked me with bike pumps.

Windy ride in this morning too, might eat a bit more today! It hurts but it’s all good, and I’ll be lighter and faster in a couple of months.

Man up!

oldgit
    Free Member

Does anyone know if we’ve booked a real summer this year ?. As in not the wettest one ever, again.

I thought you said you were booking it this year?

Marin
    Free Member

With cold hands.

And a long walk home after getting 5 punctures last week.

Edric64
    Free Member

I go to spin classes it hurts like hell ,but its better than plodding round the woods in shit all winter

shindiggy
    Free Member

I take a dose of MTFU then go our regardless of the weather, we not soluble so a bit of rain isn’t going to hurt 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

I’m off out now …c’mon

The skies look biblical

gazerath
    Free Member

MTFU advice taken, cross bike ready to roll, tomorrow heading out no matter what the weather is doing. Thanks every one.

vickypea
    Free Member

I have ‘MTFU’ written on my bike frame!
    I get out there in all weathers, it’s not so bad once you’re warmed up after the first climb
    🙂

smogmonster

Running, roadie miles, general ‘crosstraining’ down the gym. They all help keep the base fitness up and the arse-lardness down over winter.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘How do you keep fit and riding in such bad weather?’ is closed to new replies.