Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How do I get rid of searchgol?
  • on_the_rivet
    Free Member

Somehow (kids also use the PC) I seem to have downloaded some malware that has hijacked my settings on google chrome. It always opens with the search gol site no matter how many times I’ve deleted this from the start up pages. I’ve tried unistalling any programs I don’t recognise. I’ve updated my anti virus and scanned my PC all to no avail.
    Do any of the STW IT massive know how I can get rid of it?

z1ppy

http://info.searchgol.com/uninstall/chrome.html

the install and run malwarebyte spyware detector (free one is fine) & give you AV an update run through just for luck too

more info

pezza
    Free Member

Or this…

ADW Cleaner

It is fast and good!

on_the_rivet
    Free Member

I’ve tried all the steps suggested in z1ppy’s link to no avail and when I went to ADW cleaner it seemed to want to install something similar itself so I was reluctant to continue.

Is there any way I can get rid of this without having to download some other program I know nothing about?

FuzzyWuzzy

is it installed as a toolbar and/or extension as well? I had delta2 install itself from somewhere the other day and despite changing everything to be google again (start page, default search engine etc.) delta2 always came up when opening chrome, it was only then I notice it had installed as a toolbar & extension so just uninstalled those and it was fine again

jekkyl

Is there any way I can get rid of this without having to download some other program I know nothing about?

yup, format and reinstall windows. You’ll have a nice zippy machine after as well.

on_the_rivet
    Free Member

I’ve uninstalled delta and removed extensions but it still keeps on opening at searchgol

leffeboy

In chrome check tools/settings and make sure it hasn’t done something as simple as change your home page

Then tools/settings/search engines and remove it from the list of search engines if it is there

on_the_rivet
    Free Member

Eventually i just uninstalled anything from past month and it appears to have resolved the problem.

Thanks for the tips

rebeccaroy
    Free Member
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How do I get rid of searchgol?’ is closed to new replies.