• This topic has 64 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • How do I find out my blood group ?
  • Davesport

My (future) employer would like to know my blood type.

My GP doesn’t have it on record and have suggested getting a GP Plus appointment and a lab test. Probable cost £150 which I’m not keen on. The alternative they said was to give blood. I tried this but they for some reason can’t give me my blood type. So, I bought and tried a home test kit which gave an inconclusive test !

Over to the power of STW for further ideas.

D.

perchypanther
    Free Member

How do I find out my blood group ?

Order a Babycham in a pub with a flat roof?

woody2000

Go give blood!

EDIT – you can get your blood type, but it’s not there and then. Once you’re registered, you’ll get it

scotroutes

If your future employer needs to know then they should pay for the test.

tthew

If you sign up for the blood service website, your blood group appears in your personal details. http://www.blood.co.uk

I know because I used it about 15 minutes ago to check mine.

Or just tell them you’re 0+, 38% chance you’ll be correct.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If your future employer needs to know then they should pay for the test.

This

Cougar

Probable cost £150 which I’m not keen on.

Why isn’t your (future) employer footing the bill for the tests they need?

Cougar

Jinx.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I am curious what employer would want to know your blood type?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I am curious what employer would want to know your blood type?

Because he is a professional cyclist and they need to know what blood type he is for the transfusions….employer supplies the drugs and covering up transfusions, OP pays for the original bloody typing?? (ok clutching at straws)

OP why?

Give blood.

DaRC_L

Say, for example, I have a needle phobia and can’t sign up to the vampires how do you find your blood type then?

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’d have asked for my blood back if I’d given it and then not being given the type.

Tiger6791

Cut yourself

If it’s red

Then good news, your blood type is ‘Human’ 😉

allthegear
    Free Member

I’m truly at a loss to think of any situation where an employer would need to know an employees blood type.

Rachel

woody2000

I’m truly at a loss to think of any situation where an employer would need to know an employees blood type.

That, but with – if they did need to know, I’d assume they had the means of finding out!

Could be a job where he might get injured and have to be treated on a site where there is no access for the emergency services?

Tell us OP! 🙂

poly
    Free Member

I’m not. But I am at a loss to think of a situation where an employer would take the answer at face value from the employee given the potential implications of mismatching – and even less likely that the medics would rely on such a poor source of information.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Maybe he’s joining the A-team? ….or their slightly less well known counterparts, the AB+ Team…

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Lots of people ask,and unless you’ve been pregnant, given blood or had a transfusion you will not have been tested.

And it is pointless knowing…

You can be given O- in an emergency. In every other circumstance perhaps outside war zones, they will always test you again before every single transfusion.

I would say your prospective employer is either an idiot or pointlessly nosey or should get on and arrange the test himself.

bigblackshed

Don’t go and give blood just to find out your blood group. If you’re going o donate, do it regularly or not at all.

/RantOver

Two thoughts, why does an employer want to know your blood group? And if they have a valid reason then they can pay for the test.

saxabar
    Free Member

Related, a post came up on my Twitter feed today where a gay guy I know said he was prohibited from giving blood on account of his sexuality. Seems it’s true. 😕

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I need to provide my blood type from time to time for work. If I’m involved in an offshore survey somewhere remote and/or undeveloped then the shoreside medical facilities like to know it in case someone needs emergency treatment.

Cougar

a gay guy I know said he was prohibited from giving blood on account of his sexuality.

They used to be quite strict about stuff like that, not just your own sexuality but the sexuality of your partners. I’ve half a memory that quite a while back now I couldn’t give blood because I’d slept with a lass who had slept with a bloke who had slept with another bloke, or some such. They’re relatively relaxed these days I believe.

footflaps

I’ve half a memory that quite a while back now I couldn’t give blood because I’d slept with a lass who had slept with a bloke who had slept with another bloke, or some such. They’re relatively relaxed these days I believe.

Try travelling with work, I’ve been banned from giving blood as my company does business in Africa (and I travel there occasionally)…..

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Maybe he’s joining the A-team? ….or their slightly less well known counterparts, the AB+ Team…

I give that joke a B-

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And also they can find out at the medical

bigblackshed

They have relaxed the rules slightly on who can donate. But as above, if you are a man and have had sex with a man then you can’t donate. There are other questions about your sexual past, but can’t remember them all off e top of my head.

ourmaninthenorth

What Dr Stoatsbrother said….

allthegear
    Free Member

The gay blood ban rules are strange, to say the very least.

Being trans, up until the point I had changed my paperwork (passport etc), I was banned from giving blood. Magically, the day after it was completely fine.

Apparently passports have strange blood-healing properties. Is that why they are red?

Rachel

wrecker
    Free Member

and even less likely that the medics would rely on such a poor source of information.

I remember a medic telling me that all of the soldiers with their blood type tattooed on themselves had wasted their time and money as it wouldn’t be considered accurate.

Cougar

And probably had a risk of blood poisoning…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The gay blood ban rules are strange, to say the very least.

1in10 gay men in London, 1in8 in Brighton, and 25% of those are undiagnosed. And the blood test used to screen donated blood only picks up the viral load if you’ve been infected for >6months. Nothing to do with sexuality, everything to do with not killing people with infected blood.

TooTall
    Free Member

Join the Armed Forces. They test your blood and even give you a dog tag with it engraved there!

This might not fit with your career plans or even be the best option.

Davesport

Exactly what centralscrutinizer said.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I give that joke a B-

Oh! are you positive? 😉

deadkenny
    Free Member

Stoatsbrother – Member
    And it is pointless knowing…

You can be given O- in an emergency. In every other circumstance perhaps outside war zones, they will always test you again before every single transfusion.

Might be worth knowing when blood donations of certain groups are low and they are calling out for particular group donors.

I don’t know mine despite numerous blood tests. Whenever I ask after tests they don’t tell me any details other than the tests were OK.

I really must do the donor thing.

scotroutes

the AB+ Team…

I’ve heard it makes the vampires come alive.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Oh! are you positive?

The joke police should throw you in the cells.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Davesport, you’ve done well to get a job offer in the current climate.

scotroutes

Maybe he’s clearing drains?

Cougar

25% of those are undiagnosed.

How on earth can you count the number of people who don’t know they’ve got it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘How do I find out my blood group ?’ is closed to new replies.