Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • How did you introduce your child to starwars?
  • seanoc
    Free Member

My daughter (4, almost 5) loves Star Wars Clone Wars and we’re half way through season 1. She’s even asked for an Ahsoka costume and light sabre for Christmas.

So, I’m thinking about introducing her to the original trilogy. Do I let her deal with the confusion of watching ANH, ESB and RotJ before Episodes 1 and 2 (she ain’t watching episode 3; even I thought that was darker than it needed to be). Or watch Episode 1 and 2, followed by the Clone Wars animations before watching the original trilogy.

I think the later Clone Wars episodes deal with Anakins dark side (it’s even subtly coming through in earlier episodes), so I’m pretty pleased I don’t need to deliver that particular bombshell..

Opinions, experiences please.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I started at the beginning ie episode 3 – confusing isn’t it

_tom_
    Free Member

Personally I’d say watch the original trilogy and pretend episodes 1, 2 and 3 don’t exist, they’re shite.

weeksy

my lad is 3 and a bit and LOVES Star Wars, but is too young to grasp the whole concept of goodies, baddies etc… He has a light sabre too and wants a Darth Vader mask for Xmas.
    We watch Clone Wars, but he doens’t really grasp it fully too.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what he said ignore the cashing in ones that were shite

rocketman
    Free Member

Showed rocket jr a full-size copy of the movie poster I had painted in 1978 and that was it

bencooper
    Free Member

I did it through the medium of carved vegetables:

(is a pumpkin a vegetable?)

nealglover
    Free Member

_tom_ – Member
    Personally I’d say watch the original trilogy

……and pretend episodes 1, 2 and 3 don’t exist, they’re shite.

This ^ 100%

Kids will watch films over and over so there is no need for 6 in the series.

The trilogy will keep her going for years if she likes them.

Let her live in ignorance of the other three, it’s a better place to be :mrgreen:

zippykona

Can I say that I have never seen any of them.

tjr666
    Free Member

Am I the only person in the world that thinks Star Wars is a load of pap? I showed it to my 4 year old son, thinking he may enjoy it, his response was the same as mine. Garbage.

scuzz
    Free Member

(is a pumpkin a vegetable?)

Not sure about that, but that’s no moon

scruff
    Free Member

Milkie
    Free Member

It’s a fruit, comes from a flower, has seeds inside it.

Scruff I loved that game! can’t remember what computer it was or the name of the game!

vinnyeh

Strip the story down, get it back to basics.

nickf
    Free Member

I didn’t introduce mine to Star Wars, and have no intention of doing so. The first ones were the best, but they really don’t stand up today. Wooden acting and terrible scripts more than outweigh the ‘special’ (they’re not really that good) effects.

I accept that the first SW film was a technological masterpiece, but then so were the original brick-like mobile phones …. time’s moved on.

seanoc
    Free Member

Exellent; That blast came from the Pumpkin! That thing’s operational!

I’m a 70’s child and grew up on Star Wars, I actually quite enjoyed the new ones too.

Also, without the new ones the animated series doesn’t tie in so to ignore them is not really an option. All you haters; have you seen teh Clone Wars animated movie…up there with Empire if you ask me.

iDave
    Free Member

You’d think you were all on about some important life lesson, religion or other, it’s just a sci-fi movie(s) 🙄

Harry_the_Spider

By building this for the village Scarecrow competition.

My son now thinks that the moon is The Death Star.

GW
    Free Member

I was born in 1970 and still haven’t ever even seen it but still know the story all too well from all the geeks over the years that simply can’t help themselves boring you to death about it. no way will I introduce my kids to it (intentionally subject myself to more 😉 )

richmtb

Scruff I loved that game! can’t remember what computer it was or the name of the game!

Funnily enough it was called “Star Wars” and it was an Arcade game with a rather cool cabinet that was supposed to be the cockpit of an X-wing (authentic Jedi fag burns were an optional accessory)

hels
    Free Member

BEST SCARECROW EVER !!

DezB
    Free Member

My kid’s seen it. But wasn’t introduced!

Star Wars is on, wanna watch that? like ANY OTHER FILM!! 😆

seanoc
    Free Member

That could be said about anything; it’s just a bike, it’s just a game, it’s just economics, it’s just a 100m dash, it’s just a goon riding down a mountain on a bike, it’s just a person riding around a featureless undulating piece of countryside trying to beat another person riding around the same featureless undulating piece of countryside…..all important to someone, all irrelevant to another. If you want to get into theology you could, we could spend all day chewing over what quantifies a worthwhile endeavour and what doesn’t, but I reckon that would be foolish on a Star Wars thread (actually, that would be foolish on STW).

Anyway, she found this independently of my influence; I’m not looking for a way to encourage something but a way to deliver something nice, to my daughter, that she’ll enjoy.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you start with Ep IV, then the trilogy is about Luke. If you start with I it’s about Anekin.. Funny that…

Northwind

You sound a little bit like a Star Wars pusher tbh. First hit’s free, but soon they’ll be whoring themselves out to pay for Caravan of Courage, and they will never forgive you (on either score)

alpin
    Free Member

i don’t have kids and have never watched Star Wars. (think i watched about 1/4 of one of them at the cinema when i was about 16. i walked out and left…. the film was rubbish, IMO.)

DezB
    Free Member

we could spend all day chewing over what quantifies a worthwhile endeavour and what doesn’t

Yeah, I do that a lot 8)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Here son, how do you fancy a lifetime of geekery?

**** off Dad you’re ****

scruff
    Free Member

2tyred

I didn’t – he found it himself.

I never liked it as a kid – might have had something to do with my Dad (who did like it) taking me to the cinema to see Empire Strikes Back when I was 5. Terrified the bejesus out of me.

Went through the next 20 or so years knowing nothing about it until an overzealous friend insisted I watch his trilogy video collection. Thought the first one was meh, the second one pretty good actually and the third one idiotic.

A few years later tyred jr no 1 was born and after 3 or 4 years he somehow came across it (can’t quite remember how). I bought a second hand copy of the video and he watched it many many times, usually in 15 minute chunks before bed with me sitting next to him, having it seep into my consciousness. Now tyred jr no 1 is nearly 7, mad for star wars and tyred jr no 2 is 3 and also quite into it. Both of them want the baddies to win but recognise that Han Solo is quite cool. Now I get all the Star wars jokes in programmes like Spaced and Adam and Joe’s shows etc and thoroughly enjoyed the Family Guy special.

All manner of star wars Lego stuff is on the Santa list from both of them. Now that I can get into. This wee film is teh awesome.

molgrips
    Free Member

Wanna watch spacerockets? Spacerockets, aliens, robots, bad guys?

Yeah!

She’s 2.5

loum
    Free Member

Build them a working speeder-bike

iDave
    Free Member

I suppose they should be introduced while they still wet the bed…..

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘How did you introduce your child to starwars?’ is closed to new replies.