Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • How broken is your house? Make me feel better.
  • politecameraaction
    Free Member

One double glazed window has blown seal, needs replacing

Hah! One! He said one! How about 15 of the ****?

Mugboo

A rat problem that proffessionls can’t solve and a constant running water noise that I can’t find the source off!

smokey_jo

Hope the OP is feeling better now, pretty sure I could px our hovel to someone on here and win

stompy

breadcrumb

Gable end to re-render.
    Random damp spot on internal wall.
    Shower extractor in loft to replace, accessed through loft insulation.
    Sitting room to redecorate.
    All downstairs doors to paint.
    Window frames to seal.
    Garden is neverending.
    Fit new windows into summer house.
    New fence around veggie plot.
    Paint gate.
    Tidy garage.
    The list goes on…

I’ll get round to it after I’ve been out on my bike.

reluctantjumper

Just count yourself lucky you have a house to have a list for, I’d love to have a few projects to get stuck into!

No I’m not doing any of your houses 😜

funkmasterp

4 bathrooms

Are you living in a hotel? That just sounds like unnecessary hard work.

singlespeedstu

The list at my old house was a lot, lot longer than that!

I moved house

Me too.

20ish years there and only fixed stuff when it was unusable/unsafe.
    Just couldn’t be bothered with any of that shit when we could be out riding.

As Mrsstu’s dad always used to say to us “you can always do that stuff when you’re too old to ride”.
    He was a wise man.😁

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m not even making a list.

😀

theotherjonv

Not broken at all, spent Covid lockdown doing all the jobs after I gave the TV and booze up after the first week. Choices choices.

I did the same, got to a decent spot, one room needs redecorating still.

Then a joint on the bathroom sink taps monoblock decided it had had enough of life, and started to drip. Very slowly. Didn’t realise because sink is on cabinet and it was running along the back of the cabinet into the wall and then downwards. Making the wall and floor wetter and wetter, but not in a way that you notice. Finally the ceiling in the kitchen and the kitchen wall started to show damp, but by now there so much soaked in that drying it out has only caused the plaster to all crack. And it’s got into the plywood base under the (vinyl, but expensive) tiles in the bathroom. Which the cabinet sits on. So the ply has swelled and created gaps between the tiles that because it’s the only bathroom the humidity of showers has got further into so the tiles are starting to curl a bit and if you aren’t careful you can impale your feet on a sharp corner, / crack the corner off.

So I now need to replaster a wall, patch a ceiling, lift and retile a bathroom floor which has a cabinet sat on it and might therefore need removing but it’s sealed and grouted to a tiled wall behind……

All for a tiny ****** drip.

RustySpanner

joshvegas
    Free Member
    Most of those are minimal Hassel.

Sven, is that you?

soundninjauk

I feel so much better about my house now. Just need

* some repointing done at the back

* an internal door handle/latch replaced

* some dripping guttering fixed

* downstairs bathroom tap replaced with something my four year old can actually use

* the woodwork at the front sanded and repainted

multi21
    Free Member

Mines being a right pain, the todo list is now over two full pages of A4 each with two columns.
    Every time I tick something off, three more things get added!

I’ve got maybe 15 major things such as black mould in the hallway, built in fridge freezer not working properly, slow leak in the central heating, leak in the roof when rain comes from a certain direction etc.
    The rest are things like the toilet flush not working properly unless you hold the button for an extended period, the bathroom extractor not extracting, doors catching on the carpet.

The main issue is I have a 1 year old and a 7 year so don’t have big blocks of time to actually complete a job without a little helper getting involved.

Plus why in the eff will people turn up to do a quote, measure everything up then not get round to issuing it?! Some of the jobs are probably 10K+ and they seemingly can’t be bothered. If you don’t want the job then just say or give me a “****-off” quote, rather than waste both our times with me chasing you every week and you fobbing me off.

alpin
    Free Member

There definitely something to be said for having a house no bigger than is really necessary….

Less maintenance. Less to clean. Less to heat.

ossify

This is turning into a Monty Python sketch!

*Rolls up sleeves, takes a deep breath*

Well the builders have finished most of their work so there’s just a couple of rooms that I need to paint.
    They still need to tile the bathroom and fit everything.

As for the DIY stuff… insulating the house to start with… so far I’ve hacked the old thick plaster off the walls of 2 bedrooms and the downstairs rooms. 2 bedrooms to go, but we’re living in those at the moment (2 adults, 4 young boys and a new baby).

The bare walls need rendering, then insulation sticking on, then a plaster topcoat. The render and insulation we’re doing ourselves, 1 room rendered so far.

Also 1 wall has been entirely removed downstairs, I’m replacing it with a wide cupboard with the back of it built to be like a stud wall. Cupboard on the hallway side, wall on the living room side. This is half quarter done.

The kitchen is removed entirely, that room is bare plaster with a few old units freestanding with a sink bolted on etc… it’s not ideal. Finalising quotes for the new kitchen.

The garden’s also a mess from the builders and becoming a priority what with the nice weather and young children needing an outlet.
    The grass needs doing, bushes/hedges planting, oh and I need to finish building the wooden playhouse thing for the kids. At least the pair of new chickens will occupy them for now 🐔

Electrics too, a few new and replacement sockets which I’ll probably do myself. Must remember to do this before the walls are done…

The front door is off its hinges and replaced by a sheet of OSB for now. The door’s been stripped and my wife’s painting it now. Must find a source for the new glass panels.

It’s been like this for close to a year now and is taking its toll on us and the kids… however the end is in sight!

Trying to get it done and fitting in time around work means I’m staying up until 2am or so most nights… which also means I can’t use power tools after a certain time so everything takes longer.

Might be easier to move to a cardboard box in the middle of the road 😁

Edit: Oh and in a spare moment I built myself a bunnyhop bar practice thing. Just need to make the bike usable… I think all it still needs is the new pads bedding in, though it’s Magura so that’s a job in itself!
    (They say accelerate to 20mph then go to a full stop. 30-50 times. Per wheel. You’re ‘avin’ a larf.)

pocpoc
    Free Member

I refuse to make a list. It would be demoralising.
    Instead I just work on whatever appears to be the biggest priority at the time/fits the weather/is more appealing to me.

molgrips
    Free Member

Where’s that Australian fellow whose house was demolished by storms last year?

wwaswas

My house is over 600 years old.

This is what the main roof looks like from inside the attic:

I try and avoid going in the attic so I don’t need to think about it.

This is one of the smaller jobs we’ve had done since we moved in:

Admittedly with the second one I did get to walk round on the deck pretending I was Captain Bligh for a couple of days but, still.

funkmasterp

I try and avoid going in the attic so I don’t need to think about it.

Same technique as me then!

Alex

Good God. How do some of you sleep at night? 🙂

Loads of issues with our house (although not as bad as that ^^^ lot). Paid a builder, decorator, gardener, cabinet maker, etc to sort them. This after mostly ignoring them for 10+ years. I am so glad we decided to sink some savings into it than trying to do it ourselves (and a lot we couldn’t – roofing etc)

Still stuff to do, see when we run out of cash but won’t be doing it myself. Work enough/crap at DIY/want to spend spare time doing stuff we like to do.

Really the main roof needs to come off. But we had a quote for that. It’s not happening.

Marin
    Free Member

Mugboo
    Re:rats. Have you had cameras down the sewer pipes. My old house had rats in walls driving me mad, cameras found they had travelled up sewer pipes then gnawed through them to dig a tunnel to get into the cavity wall to run round the house.

wwaswas

Good God. How do some of you sleep at night?

I’ve been working my way round sorting out 600 years of bodges.

This was the upstairs shower:

They’d actually built it over a window. It was the only window in the building with a lock on it.

This was the base of the wall under the window – yes, you can see the outside…

turned out alright (imo)

But everywhere’s the same. It gets a bit wearing sometimes.

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Overheats and I have to remove rear panel to reset a fuse

The thermal trip in the back of tumble dryers is usually fairly accessible and very easy to replace, assuming you can buy the part. IIRC from one I did a few years back it was two pozi self-tapping screws and two push-on ‘spade’ type connectors. The trip/reset might be borked or there might be a bigger issue causing a lack of airflow over them, that’d be more worrying as it’s a major cause of overheating.
    Add it to your list…
    HTH 😉

That’s Reeksy. He commented earlier in the thread, 14 months of living in a shed.

Alex

They’d actually built it over a window

I mean of course they did. Who wouldn’t 😉 Does look good now tho. Some proper skills on show there.

When the builders were fixing the little roof (only added around 1980) they kept pointing out short cuts/cheap fixes/terrible design decisions which all transgressed a number of building regs.

Where was the building inspector I asked? Either buried in the garden or enjoying his envelope of cash down the local spearmint rhino came the response. It was the 80s I guess 😉

funkmasterp

Those before bathroom photos look like an improvement on mine! I would post pictures but I’m genuinely ashamed 😂

mmannerr

My house is in good shape structurally and I think the roof is OK.
    However, the geothermal heating system just had its 20 year anniversary and has needed repairs and filling yearly for few years now. It is connected to discontinued model of mechanical ventilation system and replacing both will cost at least 15 000€ for parts and labour. Adding to complexity is that system is behind wall built after installation, of course all the electricity for the house are on that wall too.
    It is quite likely that the system will fail when it is needed the most. We are lucky to live in the south so low winter temperatures (-20C) will usually last only a couple of weeks.

fossy

House is absolutely fine, but full of MIL’s (dear departed) stuff that needs sorting but MrsF not upto it. It’s been a very slow process. Loads of videos, files, 8mm cine, 16mm cine etc etc to go through. Got some furniture we don’t need that’s just taking up space. The mess is getting me down, but it’s getting slowly better. Son has car parts all over the place, very messy person, and I built him a shed for his bit’s – that’s overflowing and he won’t get rid of stuff. Got a heavy ‘broken’ gearbox in the middle of my greenhouse that I want shifting (his).

Really gets to me when I can’t get my bike out of my garage – I tend to lose it with him !

uggski

Sven, is that you?

loved his books

Clover

I sold my dream house when I realised that I couldn’t afford to do it up and pay off the mortgage. Bits of it were in a puddle some of the time. There was ice on the inside of the windows I hadn’t double glazed in the winter. I couldn’t work out how to ditch the aga because it was linked to the hot water and kept the kitchen warm so redoing that was a massive job.

Was a bit gutted but selling up opened new doors. Also I think I would have been bankrupt if still I had it through the energy crisis. Especially as it was on a tracker mortgage. Now have a more sensible house in France.

The oven has packed in though. Dealt with that by buying an air fryer…

dovebiker

Imagine how the people who pay £150k+ for this would feel:

Hushinish

It is effectively a lean-too, wooden-framed tin shed that almost certainly will need completely flattening

mert
    Free Member

I need a new roof (it’s only a simple pitched roof, but 120 sqm of it)
    And a complete set of new windows and some exterior doors. (4 doors and 16 windows, all the glass is coated and triple glazed as well)
    I also need to repaint all the exterior wood work on the house and re-clad the garage (a large double garage) there’s also some patching needed on the foundations of the house and the foundation need repainting as well.
    Oh, the wind out awning at the back is dead too, need to make an effort to replace that too, and remove the broken one on the side of the house, which i didn’t use for the 10 years that it did work.

Then there’s some decorating needed inside.

And the household income halved fairly recently. So i’m broke.

Oh, the kitchen will need doing sometime in the next 3-5 years as well.

RustySpanner

Tasteless 70’s A-Frame box built out of old Cornflake packets and Bostick.
    Rebuilt everything.
    Proper down to the brick job. Floors, insulation, roof, dormers, rewire, windows etc.

We went with 70’s colours too, orange, white and green. 😀 Looks like a set from Playschool.

Just minor paintwork and the garage to sort.

Last house was a three storey 1860’s cottage. Not a straight edge in the place, constantly demanding and basically a money pit.
    Well rid.

We nearly bought an ex wild west themed brothel, that would have been fun.

bearnecessities

wild west themed brothel,

“Yee whore” is the best I can manage.

reeksy

I’m a dual citizen 😉

Yep… this is annoying as the bricks aren’t available anymore.

Microburst 2022

Microburst 2022

funkmasterp

Just needs a sticker Reeksy.

In all seriousness I hope you get it sorted soon and can move out of the shed.

mmannerr

^^ Houses like that are usually sold as ”lovely opportunity for buyers with renovation skills”

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

“Yee whore” is the best I can manage.

You’ve set the bar fairly high there, my best was “ho down”.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Anyway.

Thanks to all the posters who have made me feel much better about my place. With its crumbling plaster, rotting door sills, floors that bounce and not in a good way, and all the rest of it.

martinhutch

Lol at ‘dick stain’! 🙂

Not-so-golden shower?

We’ve just had a 10 grand quote for replacing some fascias/soffits/gutters, so it looks like I’ll be spending more time on scaffolding than on a bike this summer.

Current major job list:
    Bathroom needs complete redo/remodel. Putting it off for as long as I can.
    Two exterior doors warped, need replacing, so do their sills (rotten)
    General redecorating.
    Replace flooring/carpets.

jimmy

New build 4 years ago, so the cheap builder’s paint is now scruffy and needing decorated all through. Last time this happened we moved house (to here).

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.