Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Horse riding – yay or neigh
  • leffeboy

So, it seems as though a few folks on here also ride horses and as the rest of my family do I’m wondering if i’m missing out? It’s never really attracted me at all but should I give it a go or is it just another distraction from learning to ride my bike properly?

LoCo
    Free Member

Do it, ace fun with the right horse.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

There’s your coat – leave now. That pun was lame. 😉

scotroutes

If the family do it then it’s something you can all join in? It only takes a few rides to master a rising trot and that’s about all you need for hacking. Not a bad way of enjoying the countryside.

nickc

Do it. there’s nothing quite the thrill of galloping along at 35mph plus on something your not quite fully in control of…

binners

I work on the principle that when I’m out on my bike, when I hit the brakes, the brakes will be applied, and I’ll slow down. As a mechanical object it is incapable of having a think about whether it fancies a stop or not, then making its own decision on the matter.

I would never ever climb on the back of something that is capable of independent thought (well maybe Hora). It might be in a bad mood. It might hate me! I might hate it! Too many ways for it to end badly.

leffeboy

Do it. there’s nothing quite the thrill of galloping along at 35mph plus on something your not quite fully in control of…

sounds a bit like snowboarding but replacing soft fluffy snow with trees. Is that really such a good thing 🙂

As a mechanical object it is incapable of having a think about whether it fancies a stop or not,

my bike also doesn’t get scared by bin bags or strange noises and run off on it’s own

maccyb
    Free Member

I do think horse-riding is great, but I don’t think I could be bothered with trotting aimlessly around country lanes – I learned to ride properly on a Wyoming ranch, and there’s a world of difference between hacking and riding a working horse to herd cattle, ducking through trees and crossing streams like a ‘proper’ cowboy. It’s an amazing sensation when the horse reacts with you to a situation, like the cliche of two minds acting as one.

Bit like the difference between road and MTB, I suspect – though ironically I’m a roadie.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Anything the size of a horse that has a mind of It’s own cannot be trusted.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

What sized shoes for…?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup I’m all for it, positively promote it 😀

I used to do Three Day Eventing, amazing and totally knackering but boy, bloody great fun.

I met some amazing folks, not least some very pretty well healed Girlies 8)

Ahhh, those were the days 😀

leffeboy

It’s an amazing sensation when the horse reacts with you to a situation, like the cliche of two minds acting as one.

I think the only real ‘wow’ moment i had watching horses was watching someone doing what appeared to be a full on gallop along some singletrack. It looked half way between certain death and awesome fun, probably what nickc was describing

But jodhpurs, really

IanMunro
    Free Member

Cows seem more sensible to ride, lower to the ground and don’t get freaked by crisp packets

leffeboy

And come with their own milk – tubeless ready

nickc

and there’s a world of difference between hacking and riding a working horse to herd cattle,

it’s mostly reign training, saddle shape, and stirrup height, but I know what you mean. 😉

leffeboy, what’s wrong with jodders? jeans will rub awfully…

nickc

frankly annoying double post thing which I thought had been resolved, no?

biglee1

And if you do get one and need to transport it between fields get a trailer instead of riding the bloody dangerous thing on public roads 😀
    I came round a corner in wales last year on a 60mph fairly fast road and some clown was riding his horse along it, I suppose it was wales tho 🙁

leffeboy

leffeboy, what’s wrong with jodders

I might end up calling them jodders :). I guess it’s a bit like lycra though, you don’t really want the whole mamil thing but it works

Mmm, looking like the consensus is yay. Might just have to give in

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Horse riding – yay or neigh’ is closed to new replies.