Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Hopeful rear light seat post mount question
  • easily
    Free Member

I have a rear light that I am very pleased with, apart from the silly little rubber mount it came with that twists around every ride.
    As you cans see from the pic I have (I hope) included, it has to attach a certain way up:

IMG-2577

I would like to swap the mount for something bolt on. The connection is i believe a ‘quarter turn’ garmin style:

IMG-2578

You should be able to see in the second pic that the little cutaways on the mount are at the top and bottom. Every mount I can find has the cutaways at left and right – which means my light would be at the wrong angle.

Do these mounts exist with the cut outs at top and bottom? I’ve had a good look but have not found one so far. Or can anyone think of a way I could bodge a bolt-on mount so that it was angled the correct way for me?

The photos are a bit blurred, sorry. I took close ups so you would find it harder to criticise the state of my garage.

fossy

I use the saddle rail mount with my Seemee 300. The rubber mount I keep spare for another bike.

Its called a mini garmin mount, but not seen one elsewhere yet.

MadBillMcMad

Alternatively try a bit of inner tube underneath it

martinhutch

You can buy garmin-type mounts which are held on by two o-ring style elastic bands. Those can be fixed any way you want. You should be able to turn the rubber backing to fit your post, or use a bit of inner tube, as suggested above.

fossy

Some electrical tape around the seatpost may help it not to twist.

fossy

PS these are smaller than the Garmin Mount.

easily
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for tips so far.

fossy – I have the saddle rail mount, but for reasons it doesn’t fit well on my bike. Electric tape is a good idea.

MadBill – I’ve tried a variety of shims. They help, but not that much.

martinhutch – I’ve had a look at those. I might give them a try, but they don’t seem much different from what I have.

I do have a little clip for attaching the light to a bag or saddlebag. I think I might try to bodge that into a bolt-on type mount.
    I think I’m just surprised by a few things:
    – that the mount I’m after seems not to exist.
    – I never throw away any sort of bike attachment figuring that it will be useful one day, yet I don’t seem to have anything that will work here.
    – that companies like SeeMee will spend thousands developing a really good light, then spend 10 minutes and 20 quid making a really shitty mount to go with it.

Thanks again.

rootes1

edited

just saw you posted that you do the saddle mount

did yours come with a saddle rail mount?

seemee

would that work better?

fossy

Saddle mount clips into both rails (lower edge) then the zip ties are for added security. They need a good push to clip in tightly.

fossy

I use mine on the bright breathing mode at night, but it automatically switches to bright dayflash if its getting light (dawn and dusk on my commute), or there are very bright lights around the bike.

TiRed

If it’s proper Garmin quarter turn mount, the Garmin varia seatpost clamp is what you want. They aren’t that cheap but I now have four on my round seatpost bikes. From their website. I have the rubber strap ones on aero seatpost.

easily
    Free Member

I’ll give the saddle rail mount another try fossy, it didn’t work well when I tried it initially. Also, I often have a coat or bag that I worry might obscure the light if it’s mounted that high.

TiRed – The Garmin varia would be precisely what I wanted if the slots were at the 12 and 6 o’clock position when fixed. Unfortunately they are at 3 and 9 o’clock, which doesn’t work with my light.

scotroutes
    TiRed

Although it’s not drilled for it, two small holes in the existing vertical guides and you can rotate the mount 90 degrees. Here’s one I disassembled earlier for you. Most likely it retains compatibility with the original Varia radar sensor that was horizontal rather than vertically mounted. If your light is definitely Garmin quarter turn, and you can check with a computer mount, then the Varia seatpost mount will fit with the drilling of two small holes in the already installed extant locations. They’re small holes too and the bolt threads are in the computer mount. Will be a five min job.
    IMG_3864

fossy

For reference its a smaller fitting than garmin. See mine below

20240213_091017

cookeaa

For reference its a smaller fitting than garmin. See mine below

Is it a bit like Bryton mounts, not actually the same as Garmin, but just about able to fit in a suitably baggy Garmin quarter turn.

Surely it’s the tabs that drive this, has anyone actually put the light in a Garmin bar mount just to see how/if it will fit?

easily
    Free Member

****EDIT****

I now see that TiRed has made a very interesting post, so everything after this edit is probably now incorrect

**** end edit ****

Aargh, I thought you had it there scotroutes. Nice try.

Something about the description didn’t look quite right though so I checked, and no, the mounting face cannot be turned 45º – it just seems to mean the clamp can be used on handlebars or seat posts.

Surprisingly it appears that the mount I need does not exist, though I’m now writing to Magicshine to ask why not.

I do have one of these:

Magicshine Tail Light Saddle bag Clip

… so I’m going to use it to bodge something up – probably using zip ties and bits of old inner tube (my go-to bodge materials, you’d be amazed what you can create)

thanks for trying everyone.

fossy

Just to add, no way will it fit a Garmin Standard size mount.

As for bodging the ‘clip’ – Have you any old light fittings you could bodge – how about a plastic jubilee clip, or indeed a steel one and some old inner tube.

TiRed

If the ears don’t fit, get some dogears https://www.dogearsgps.com to convert it to Garmin mount, THEN fit a Varia seat post mount. I have one such dogears on a dead (switch gone) Garmin 810. I’d go that way of you really like the light. Or get a Varia (excellent light and radar)

TiRed

Alternatively try a bit of inner tube underneath it

Or slide some inner tube OVER up the tube and over the mount, then cut a hole for the round mounting point.

dyna-ti

As long as it doesnt move in use then its just an annoyance. You have to check it is not the end of the world.

I have the same issue with the simple rubber band thing on my Moon Gemini, so looked into getting one of the saddle rail mounts, which turned out to be priced at 1/2 the cost of the lamp itself.

Think ill stick with just checking it each time :lol:

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.