Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Hope Pro2 Evo or DT Swiss 240
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

I’ve got both a pair of DT Swiss 240 Hubs and some Hope Pro 2 Evo, laced to 29er rims. I’ve now gone 650b.

I don’t have a preference either way on the Hubs, the Hopes are a bit heavier, the DT have a slightly worse engagement.

I’m going to unlace one set, but can’t decide which one.

Which do you prefer?

Cheers chaps

Ricks

hatter

DT’s with the 36t upgrade.

Best of both.

rickon
    Free Member

Isnt the 36 upgrade a bit weak? Was reading reviews and seemed to fail quite often. Could be just the internet effect. Where only failures are reported though.

barffy
    Free Member

I’m a Hope fan, but even so I still think the negligible weight penalty is absolutely worth it for reliability and peace of mind. A few extra grams so close to the centre of rotation isn’t going to be noticeable.

wrecker
    Free Member

DT’s with the 36t upgrade.

Best of both.
    +1. I’m running both 240s and pro 2 evos at the moment. The Hopes are draggy as all hell in comparison. With the 36T hub, the Dt engagement is much better too.
    Buy the Ex 1501 wheelset for around £450, and get excellent hubs and rims!

Northwind

They changed the design of the 36T ratchet quite a while back, the original version had some issues. (I can’t remember if it was overhardened, or not hard enough, one of the two- teeth broke/chipped off). But the revised one is ime as reliable as standard. Probably more sensitive to bad maintenance. They’re expensive now, though.

There’s also a 54T, which I know nothing about, except that it’s actually cheaper at £40. Might need to try one of those!

To me, this is basically a no-brainer. If you were buying, there’s a case to make for Hope on price. When you already have them, Hope just come off second place, at everything. Except for changing that one bearing, but ime you need to do Hope bearings so much more frequently that DT still come out on top. They’re probably not that different on resale value either.

barffy – Member

I’m a Hope fan, but even so I still think the negligible weight penalty is absolutely worth it for reliability and peace of mind

If you want reliability and peace of mind then you choose the DTs tbh.

billyboy
    Free Member

My last Hope Pro 2 Evo Hub purchase failed after about four months of riding.

My last venture into DT Swiss hubs, which was about ten years ago, last about 18 months. I was thinking of going Halo.

rickon
    Free Member

ere’s also a 54T, which I know nothing about, except that it’s actually cheaper at £40.

Unfortunately that’s £40 per ratchet, so £80 overall. As there’s two per hub.

hatter

But the revised one is ime as reliable as standard. Probably more sensitive to bad maintenance.

Very true, it’s why DT hubs always come with the 18T as standard, the 36’s feel lovely but the smaller teeth means they’re less tolerant of contamination.

It’s only a 5 minute job to pop the hub open to clean and regrease the drive rings and the splines holding them, do that every now and again and you won’t have a problem.

The ‘fit and forget’ crowd however, should stick with the stock 18t.

Northwind

rickon – Member

ere’s also a 54T, which I know nothing about, except that it’s actually cheaper at £40.

Unfortunately that’s £40 per ratchet, so £80 overall.

Ah bummer, I’d assumed it was a pair like the 36s.

bigjim

Don’t think I’d want to go back to the Hope noise after the silent DT.

rickon
    Free Member

See, that was the weird thing for me, it was if I’d lost one of the measures of my speed. As I couldn’t hear how fast I was going.

mikeep
    Free Member

Don’t think I’d want to go back to the Hope noise after the silent DT.

Awww, the nasty hope hubs hurt my delicate iccle ears……….:(

Hopes on 3 bikes, easy to maintain and have been mega reliable.

bigjim

shut it. I love the silence!

rickon
    Free Member

You guys aren’t helping! Doesn’t matter yet, as Wiggle forgot to pack 90% of the parts for my wheel trying jig, so I have *part* of a jig. And I’m not building another set on my turbo trainer.

sharkattack

If Hope weren’t made in England no one here would buy them. They’re heavy, slow and make a horrible racket.

mattyfez

I’ve overheard comments about my hopes ‘sounds like somethings wrong with that’ etc. These are the first hopes I’ve had, the pro 2 evo 40t, it does sound a bit like a deep sea fishing real… With a big shark on the other end!

I’m still on the fence as to whether I like the noise or not..

mikeep
    Free Member

If Hope weren’t made in England no one here would buy them. They’re heavy, slow and make a horrible racket.

Not quite sure how a hub can be slow but hey, every day is a school day.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yep I’ve got both and DT 240s everytime. Silence is golden .

Hopes are nice enough though

njee20
    Free Member

Degrees of rotation before engagement. Seems to be something some people get really hung up on, I’ve never noticed any difference at all.

240 every time for me!

jameso

I was thinking of going Halo.

Impressed by the Halo Spin Dr 6D so far here. It’s had a fair amount of use over 18 months now, on and off-road, loaded up, the lot. Light, easy to service and well backed up by Ison.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I have both and would go 240s every time. Silent hub and clutch mech = singletrack bliss!

sharkattack

Degrees of rotation before engagement. Seems to be something some people get really hung up on, I’ve never noticed any difference at all.

I meant drag. Ask anyone on the Hope factory team if their hubs are bog standard.

njee20
    Free Member

Fair enough! I agree, FWIW, but I doubt the real world difference is more than a couple of watts. On the flip side… You’re conceding a couple of watts!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro2 Evo or DT Swiss 240’ is closed to new replies.