Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hope Pro 3 vs Pro 2
  • pretzelone

I am looking for some new wheels for XC riding. Nothing too hard core, mainly South/North Downs and occasional forays to Welsh bike parks.
    So the question is how do Hope Pro 3 SP XC6 compare to the more common Pro 2? Anybody had any problems with the fact they are just 24 spokes? I weigh 12st (ish if that makes a difference). Are they worth the extra money?
    Cheers in advance for any (sensible!) replies.

RealMan
    Free Member

The pro 3s are meant to be a bit lighter, but also weaker. I'm 8.5st and still went for the pro 2s. They're brilliant.

mboy
    Free Member

I recently went through the same process of deciding between Pro2 and Pro3 wheelset… I'm 12 and bit stone, and they were for an "XC" bike (ie. one that gets ridden up hills and down dales, but not raced), but when I say just how flimsy the 24 spoked Pro3 wheels looked in comparison to the 32 spoked Pro2, the decision was easy…

I'd heard from people the Pro3's are a lot flexier too, and the fact that they use straight pull spokes which are a nightmare to get hold of anywhere in the world (Pro2 uses normal DT comp which are available at just about any bike shop), coupled with an inevitably expensive replacement rim (24 spoke DT's and Stans aren't available commercially!), made the Pro3's a no go for me… They're about 60g per wheel lighter than the Pro2's, but the Pro2 wheels are usefully light anyway, and seem a lot stiffer and more convenient as well as cheaper! 60g per wheel is also pretty easy to save by using a lighter tyre, or going tubeless etc. So no real issue anyway, unless you're an XC racer.

Anyway, done a few rides on my Pro2's with Stans 355's on now, and can say they're pretty stiff (certainly stiffer than the 24 spoked versions I eyed up) and still very light! Impressed so far and they're a bargain if you shop around…

whyter

About £50 if you need a new 24-hole Stans 355 for a Pro3 – wonder how I know..? Not hard to get the straight-pull spokes for them either. Bicycleworks in Edinburgh got both for me in < 1 week.

Pro3 hub only allows QR or 15mm axles as well. Need to get a Pro2 if you want 20mm/Maxle option.

njee20
    Free Member

Pro 2s for my money, the Pro 3s aren't worth the extra cash for a relatively small weight saving, particularly if they're noticeably flexier too.

Straight pull spokes can be a real bugger to get hold of too, if you're abroad or whatever you're not gonna find a shop with stock. They're also difficult to true.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Pro 2s – I'd be worried about any product with a recommended weight limit like the Pro3 s have. Pro 2s aren't exactly heavy either.

Realman – are you extremely short?! I'm only 5'8" but weighed 8.5 stone in my early teens! That is very, very light!

Here's a virtual pie for you:

Get it down ya!

Anthony
    Free Member

I have both with 355's and I can't say there is any noticable difference in flex. I do however tend towards the Pro2's for the bigger tyre type rides, just for peace of mind.

leftyboy
    Free Member

I have a Pro3 front which has been excellent. I'm well over 13 stone and a fairly clumsy rider (despite trying hard to be smooth) and my Pro3 is running as true as the day I bought it nearly 3 years ago.

mboy
    Free Member

I have a Pro3 front which has been excellent. I'm well over 13 stone and a fairly clumsy rider (despite trying hard to be smooth) and my Pro3 is running as true as the day I bought it nearly 3 years ago.

Conversely I'm just over 12 stone, hardly a fast/quick/talented rider, but can notice a bit of flex in my Pro2's on 355's. Not a huge amount, but just enough to buzz a tyre on the chainstay protector on my bike (we're talking a big tyre here, with less than 2mm of clearance anyway). I'm impressed how strong they are for such a lightweight setup, but defo glad I didn't go down the Pro3 route in the end…

rudedog
    Free Member

It ultimately boils down to the 3s being '1 better' and you just can't quantify that kind of upgrade.

radoggair
    Free Member

Conversely I'm just over 12 stone, hardly a fast/quick/talented rider, but can notice a bit of flex in my Pro2's on 355's. Not a huge amount, but just enough to buzz a tyre on the chainstay protector on my bike

Yeah, but i wouldn't say its the hub flexing which causes that. Spokes play a big part as well as rim choice, nipple choice and of course tyre pressure

mboy
    Free Member

Yeah, but i wouldn't say its the hub flexing which causes that. Spokes play a big part as well as rim choice, nipple choice and of course tyre pressure

Precisely, it's not the hubs, it's the lack of spokes (24 on the 3's vs 32 on the 2's) that's making the difference IMO.

mafiafish
    Free Member

I love the whole 'can get spares anywhere in the world' argumnet. Who ever travels the world on their bike?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro 3 vs Pro 2’ is closed to new replies.