Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • HOPE MONO MINI – hose thickness
  • riggsy
    Free Member

Just after seeing if anyone knows what size the hose is that comes on a Hope Mono Mini? As I need to get a longer hose for my new bike but not sure whether its 5 or 6 mm hose

Thanks

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You will need to measure the outside diameter. no more 6 mm hoes is available – you need to use 5 mm which means you need new fittings each end to change from 6 mm.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Old mono's are thicker than my Avids so if avids are 5mm then mono minis (Mk II discontinued) must be 6mm IMO?

BTW 6mm Hose is still available? Certainly braided is?

http://www.rushcycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b7s331p2679&rs=gb

I presume we are talking:

riggsy
    Free Member

yeah thats them

il get measuring tonight

Three_Fish
    Free Member

BTW 6mm Hose is still available? Certainly braided is?

The braided uses the 5mm fittings as the plastic coating is trimmed back.

foxyrider
    Free Member

But surely you can instal the 6mm hose on the Monos without trimming the outer hose back? Or does the olive crush the outer too much?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

But surely you can instal the 6mm hose on the Monos without trimming the outer hose back? Or does the olive crush the outer too much?

Not sure why that didn't occur to me. Yes, I suppose that the braided hose would work, untrimmed, with the old 6mm fittings. Possibly moot, though, as the braided hose would come supplied with new 5mm fittings!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ahh OK – you cant just get the hose on its own? Although I agree seems to be saving little money?

http://www.rushcycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b7s331p2680&rs=gb

riggsy
    Free Member

so if its 6mm then the cheapest option will be for me to get 6mm braided hose???

riggsy
    Free Member

so i cant just get 6mm braided hose and replace existing 6mm hose???

i take it I will need to get the 5mm hose and a whole 5mm kit?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

so i cant just get 6mm braided hose and replace existing 6mm hose???

If you can find the 6mm standard hose, then you can reuse all of your current fittings. The problem is that it doesn't seem very easy to get hold of. The 6mm fittings (olive and shroud) won't (I don't believe) work with the easy-to-obtain 5mm hose. The more expensive 6mm braided hose can, it would appear, be used with either 6mm or 5mm fittings because the plastic coating can be removed for compatibility with the 5mm fittings. Clear?

gazman
    Free Member

riggsy, i notice you are in the nw, i recently got 6mm standard hose from the cyclery in uppermill tel 01457 87 nine nine 55, dont know if i`m allowed to put phone nos in

riggsy
    Free Member

cheers gazman

will call them in the morning

riggsy
    Free Member

If you can find the 6mm standard hose, then you can reuse all of your current fittings. The problem is that it doesn't seem very easy to get hold of. The 6mm fittings (olive and shroud) won't (I don't believe) work with the easy-to-obtain 5mm hose. The more expensive 6mm braided hose can, it would appear, be used with either 6mm or 5mm fittings because the plastic coating can be removed for compatibility with the 5mm fittings. Clear?

cheers Three_Fish may go down the 6mm braided hose route if I can't get standard 6mm hose

coatesy
    Free Member

Avoid using braided hose with 6mm fittings, Hope tried it years back and abandoned the whole thing after constant problems with hose pulling out of fittings when stressed, the olive won't compress properly through the coating.

boxelder

I got 6mm standard hose recently from Stif in Leeds

riggsy
    Free Member

cheers boxelder it seems Stif have it in stock

riggsy
    Free Member

todays update..

every single LBS that I can think of has been called and so far no-one has come up trumps with any 6mm standard hose

so it looks like I will be ordering myself a nice braided hose set 😀 😀 😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cool – might as well get the whole set and change the end then 🙂 At least you know it fits 🙂

riggsy
    Free Member

yeah thats the way Im looking at it as dont wanna bodge anything for it to start leaking

plus gives me an excuse to buy some nice braided hose 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

Apparently tis 40g heavier / Length 😉 but who cares I've got it on my Five 🙂

Conespanner

Mislaid my 5mm lever end fittings on my mini so I'm current running 5mm at the caliper end (plastic coating stripped) and 6mm at the lever end with no trouble at all. I would suggest that the 6mm fitting worked better as the design of the old fittings eliminate one of the possible leak paths. I found if the hose is not cut perfectly square,the barb doesn't fit tight and the braid is slightly damaged then it leaks very easily. the 6mm end is just cut and fit and forget.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘HOPE MONO MINI – hose thickness’ is closed to new replies.