Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 706 total)
  • Hope brake fanbois, you won’t want these
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

It’s rattled badly round the back just pulling front wheel up and dropping it… sure it would be noticeable riding if they seem this loose?

I’ll take the pads out tomoz and try pry them apart more like above see if that helps

chiefgrooveguru

Are you sure that they aren’t just oscillating wildly? 😉

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

🤣🤣👏👏

snotrag

Any more reviews from users of the old Tech3s?

I love everything about the Tech 3 E4s that have been on my main bike for many years now (with various other brands on my otherbikes).

Look cool. Feel ace. Been super reliable. Made nearby. Light-ish. Adjustable.

But the one niggle I’ve always, always had – they just don’t have enough oomph!

Its sounding like the Tech4s might have been made for me…

Mat

I was going to ask in a similar vein, has anyone with Tech 3 E4s tried the new pad compound with Tech 3s?

CalamityJames
    Free Member

First ride out on mine last night, and there is a marked improvement. Can’t confirm it’s the 30% hope claim but definitely felt more powerful. Could just be the pads having more bite (I’ve always used their organics as they have better feel) but I think it’s a little of all the changes combined. I’ve had two years on my Tech 3s riding the same trails and last night I found I was having to back off the brakes a little. Wasn’t expecting much difference to be honest, so pleasantly surprised.

ta11pau1

I was going to ask in a similar vein, has anyone with Tech 3 E4s tried the new pad compound with Tech 3s?

Haven’t seen the new pads available anywhere yet, I’m on v4 but haven’t seen E4 either.

tony07
    Free Member

The pads aren’t actually new. Galfer have had them for years. https://www.rushcycles.co.uk/m63b0s674p9246/GALFER-Hope-Tech-3-Tech-4-E4-Race-Pro-Competition-Pads-%28green%29-FD465G1554T

I prefer the reds. The greens are a bit less predictable at times. The purples are meant to be good though and worth a try

ta11pau1

Ahh, cool cheers. Might give them a go in my V4s.

I tried the purple pads briefly, didn’t think that much of them – as they’re design for ebikes they seemed a bit harder to get heat into.

kimbers

Galfa greens are good, but they do wear quicker

ta11pau1

Won’t be an issue for me, my V4 pads are about half worn after 1500km…

leegee

I prefer Gorilla Enduro Pro to Galfer Green now.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the easy bleed kit is the same on the tech 3 and new tech 4

They look similar and I’m sure have the same size reservoir top cap can anyone confirm please?

ta11pau1
    oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Ah excellent spot I was just gonna buy the full tech 3 kit (as I don’t have one) so good spot may as well just get shop order me a full tech 4 kit

malv173
    Free Member

Had a look at the new brakes up in Fort Bill at the weekend. They are really lovely things. I’ve always been convinced that the levers look too long, but in reality they aren’t that much longer than my Shimano ones. Had a little squeeze in the display bike at the Hope stand. They felt very nice.

They are certainly going to be a serious consideration when I need new brakes.

duir
    Free Member

Tech 4 E4 users how much power do you think they have? Comparable to XT 4 pot? Or would I need the V4 caliper for that?

lowey

I Changed to Tech 4 E4 from XT 4 pot. After they bedded in, they feel a fair bit more powerful, but with tons of modulation. Much better in my opinion.

ta11pau1

Tech 4 E4 users how much power do you think they have? Comparable to XT 4 pot? Or would I need the V4 caliper for that?

You’ll get varying answers to this, purely down to how different hope and Shimano brakes feel.

Come straight off XT 4 pots onto any Hope brake and it’ll feel like they have no power. They do, it’s just it’s not the same instant “all of the power, all at once” feel of XT brakes. With hope, the more you pull, the more power you get.

Tbh if you’re on the fence, just get the V4 – the beauty of them is that they’re not grabby so you can modulate the power as needed. The old tech 3 v4’s were/are mighty powerful when set up correctly, so I can imagine the tech 4s are even better.

duir
    Free Member

You’ll get varying answers to this, purely down to how different hope and Shimano brakes feel.

Come straight off XT 4 pots onto any Hope brake and it’ll feel like they have no power. They do, it’s just it’s not the same instant “all of the power, all at once” feel of XT brakes. With hope, the more you pull, the more power you get.

Tbh if you’re on the fence, just get the V4 – the beauty of them is that they’re not grabby so you can modulate the power as needed. The old tech 3 v4’s were/are mighty powerful when set up correctly, so I can imagine the tech 4s are even better.

I found the Tech 3 E4’s to be rather under powered personally the Shimano 4 pot are way more powerful even taking into account pulling the lever more. I hear the Tech 4 E4 has a very light lever feel so that sounds like it doesn’t have to be pulled so hard on this version.

Posted 16 minutes ago

ta11pau1

Interesting podcast focusing on the tech 4 changes

https://www.hopetech.com/news/tech-4-brakes-ep122-blister-review-podcast/

The new stainless pistons require less maintenance than the phenolic pistons, which is nice…

ta11pau1

And the new green pads are NOT galfer pads, interesting.

honourablegeorge

I’m keen to try the stainless pistons. (On my stainless bike 🙂 )

Jordan

That was a good listen! Some very interesting tech info.

kimbers

Review of them here

Agree about the greens wearing & squealing!

Also glad wasn’t just me, had the air bubble under the cap that would migrate to caliper when upside down, I’ve bled hope brakes plenty but never had to redo it 3 times to get it right, maybe it’s the longer reservoir?

https://off.road.cc/content/review/brakes/hope-tech-4-e4-brake-review-10103

igm

I found the Tech4 unbelievably easy to bleed – but I am a reverse bleed fan.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Another Tech 4 user that has switched the green pads in favour of the standard organics. Even riding in the dry they made more noise than other pads I’ve had with Hope brakes. Weird. Great brakes though, love mine.

appltn

Can anyone tell me how effective the bite point adjustment on the Tech4 levers is please?

If you wind the BPA it as tight as possible, what’s the minimum free stroke you can get in your lever, i.e. the number of millimetres that you must pull the lever before it starts biting?

davros

Measured with fresh pads and discs 8-10mm

Akers

Can anyone tell me how effective the bite point adjustment on the Tech4 levers is please?

Can’t give you measurements, but the BPA definitely does a good job. Unlike some other brands, it actually moves the leaver, thus pushing the piston on the master cylinder. I’ve managed to get the stroke on mine quite short, and still be able to adjust over the the lifetime of as set of pads, to keep the throw the same front and rear, despite the difference in wear rate.

appltn

Measured with fresh pads and discs 8-10mm

Thank you for taking the time to measure, that’s really encouraging. Have you ridden them with the fresh pads and discs or is this immediately post-install? I only ask because I tend to find that the bite point “relaxes” out slightly after a few rides.

appltn

Can’t give you measurements, but the BPA definitely does a good job. Unlike some other brands, it actually moves the leaver, thus pushing the piston on the master cylinder. I’ve managed to get the stroke on mine quite short, and still be able to adjust over the the lifetime of as set of pads, to keep the throw the same front and rear, despite the difference in wear rate.

Also very encouraging! The best I can maintain on my brakes is about 20mm and it just doesn’t feel sharp enough for my liking. (I know I’m being fussy 😅)

kimbers

apparently trickstiff make the green pads

Hope Tech 4 E4 brakes review

davros

I only had a short ride on the road to start bedding them in and get a feel for them. Not much bedding in required with the green pads. They felt quite sharp immediately. Looking forward to testing them properly this week.

fathomer

I’ve had mine a while now, including a a long weekend in the Tweed Valley, a week in the Alps, the Ard Rock over the weekend and numerous Peak District rides. Their fantastic, so much so they make the Tech 3’s on my hardtail feel a bit shit!

When they’re easier to get hold of, lead time coming down all the time and should be normal by Christmas according to Hope, I’ll be getting another set!

julians
    Free Member

Has anyone who DIDNT like the previous tech 3 e4/v4 combo ridden these new tech 4 brakes? and if so could you offer your opinion on them?

ta11pau1

PSA – wiggle have the V4’s back in stock currently (most places are out of stock) and if you’ve got the platinum discount they’re £184.80 per end which is the cheapest anywhere.

I’ve got a set of black and silver on the way (one of 3 sets they had in stock…) 😁

Couldn’t resist buying up some parts for my next build whilst they’re a) cheap and b) in stock.

johnjn2000

@appltn,

I only ask because I tend to find that the bite point “relaxes” out slightly after a few rides.

I was on a coaching session at FoD yesterday and Katy shared a tip on this with me. She said that all the racers running Hope as well as the Hope team used to do this on a regular basis, basically before every ride. In my head I questioned why it was needed but did t want to be pedant for a change 🙂
    Take a flat blade of some description, screwdriver, knife etc. wind out your bite adjustment as far as it will go, push the pads away from the pistons with the flat blade, while doing so pull the brake lever to expand the pistons into the void created by moving the pads.

She did this on mine yesterday and immediately the bite was better. I asked if it required a top up of fluid but the answer was “not normally no”

Might just help with that relaxing issue

sharkattack

Is anyone running the new levers on the V4 calipers? I’ve recently heard a few people say they prefer the E4 including the boss of a huge demo fleet of posh bikes. Then this morning on Adam Brayton’s bike check, even he’s running the E4.

What’s wrong with the V4?

ico86

Huh, that’s interesting. As a tech 3 V4 user I can shed no light, however I always wondered what the point of the E4 calliper was as it’s only a little bit lighter than a V4.

Wild pondering here, maybe if they’ve upped the power by 30% (or whatever) both the E4 and V4 are now more than enough for some people so they make the choice on feel?

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 706 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.