Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Hit the North update – Samba Band and explosives content
  • ratswithwings
    Free Member

Bloody hell read the postings. Why would I be from the far right and complaining about references to the use of the word ‘gyp’.

Travellers are not the same as Gypsies. Travellers are Irish. Gypsies came here from India 500 years ago.

‘Giving you Gyp’ is used as an expression by non-gypsies to refer to trouble, pain, hassle etc. It’s in direct reference to whenever Gypsies are around there’s always trouble/hassle etc and therefore used as an expression to refer to pain, trouble etc. e.g. ‘oh my tooth is giving my gyp’

Being ‘Gypped’ is used by non-gypsies to refer to having been conned. “I’ve been gypped.” Similar to above but obviously in relation to the stereotypes of Gypsies being con artists etc.

Many Gypsy words have been taken into the English language.

Gadgie – in the north of England.
    Pal – all over the UK.
    And I guess the latest word used is chav.

Romany words have fallen into local slang or as you put it, colloquialism. Hence, NE people claiming gadjie as local slang while it is descended from Romany. I’ve had many NE people claim it is their local slang word.

It goes the same with Gyp. I’ve had a few friends use the word infront of me and knowing full well I’m Romany but did not realise ‘Gyp’ referred to Gypsies/Romanies. And they were using it as a reference to pain. And guess what, they were from the south, the midlands, and the north so bang goes the theory of it being local northern slang.

If you can stand there and say truthfully that you weren’t using it in cultural reference to Gypsies then fair enough I’ll be happy to say you weren’t being directly racist and that you were using it without the knowledge of the cultural baggage associated with its use. Just because its claimed a word is of local use, it doesnt mean its the case.

We used to use the word Jew in reference to people being tight with their money. Only later when I found out what a Jew actually was did I stop using it in reference to money.

terrahawk
    Free Member

If you can stand there and say truthfully that you weren’t using it in cultural reference to Gypsies then fair enough I’ll be happy to say you weren’t being directly racist and that you were using it without the knowledge of the cultural baggage associated with its use.

pardon….and you are?

chipps

Can we get this thread back on track?

Ooh, a samba band at Hit the North. That sounds great. I’ll be there!

Next!

Harry_the_Spider

…and explosives*. Don’t forget the explosives. 😀

*Subject to a skip full of paperwork.

MrSparkle

Wow! You are actually going to blow up a skipful of paperwork?! Brilliant.

Harry_the_Spider

Either that or burn a cross. 😉

MrSparkle

Oh God, I never knew you were crossist too!
    Anyroad, did anything ever come of the, er, historical Scandinavians?

Harry_the_Spider

Oh Gawd… We’ll be accused of being Celtists. 🙄

luke
    Free Member

Out of interest which company are providing the pyrotechnics? (I take it your meaning fireworks)

Harry_the_Spider

Theatrical effects. Smoke and flashes etc. Not sure who it is yet as it is our caterer’s contact.

Our caterers BTW. http://www.giddy-kipper.co.uk/index.html They do the Polocini road events too.

mrlugz
    Free Member

Paid my 17 quid today so will be heading south to hit the north!

🙂

Pook

Who’s a cellist?

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

I am going to ask a stupid question but how many of the top 10 (from the last event) were cyclo cross as opposed to MTB’s.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Waves frantically……..I was on a cx (in 11th but I made a gentlemans pact with 10th place not to race the last lap as we was too tired 😀 )

Harry_the_Spider

Most of the top 10 were CX but I put that down to the riders being skinny race types not lardy MTBists.

Twinkleydave was 3rd on a MTB IIRC.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Cheers HTS – my entry on its way

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Any news on any Fat Bike podium contenders yet?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Can we get this thread back on track?

Ooh, a samba band at Hit the North. That sounds great. I’ll be there!

Next!

Heh! Chipps the Peace Negotiator. 😀

Myself and WCA are coming. Bullheart will be doing something more important, like picking up some railway sleepers or whatever… 🙄

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Hit the North update – Samba Band and explosives content’ is closed to new replies.