• This topic has 34 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Hiphop français?
  • Lifer
    Free Member

Anyone like a bit of French hip hop? Looking for some pointers, I've got the La Haine soundtrack and the music inspired by La Haine album, heard a bit of Iron Sy, anything similar I should check out?

Steelsreal

saian super crew

brassneck

MC Solaar though this is going back a long way!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

A flatmate's mate used to come round and play that shite on his laptop. Even though we asked him not to, and he didn't even live there! One time I just turned my stereo on and gave him some Motorhead 'til he fecked off.

flyingmonkeycorps

As mentioned already, the only French MC I know is Solaar… I shall be following this thread with interest, however.

On a slightly different note, anyone heard the new Sage Francis?

docrobster
    Free Member

My sister is a French teacher and tries her hardest to impress her kids with French hip hop, to show them that there is a contemporary French culture. I don't think they believe her.

Lifer
    Free Member

Oh yeah heard some MC Solaar, will check out the other

Elf of Safety, the short answer would have been 'no' 😉

Lifer
    Free Member

My sister is a French teacher and tries her hardest to impress her kids with French hip hop, to show them that there is a contemporary French culture. I don't think they believe her.

Tell her to show them 'those' two scenes from Irreversible

theflatboy
    Free Member
    bawbag
    Free Member

TTC on the Big Dada label are probably the most famous in the UK. Batards Sensibles is well worth checking out.

afrothunder88

Yes, quite like it, undecided it its as good as A Healthy Distrust or Personal Journals yet but definately liking it.

Hoping to go see him in Manc on the 18th.

flyingmonkeycorps

Yes, quite like it, undecided it its as good as A Healthy Distrust or Personal Journals yet but definately liking it.

Hoping to go see him in Manc on the 18th.

Yeah ditto. I reckon a lot of the songs will sound better live. Already have tickets for Manc to they better be good!

duntmatter
    Free Member

Ideal J – Hardcore

The most shocking video I have ever seen. Each bit relates to each rhyme. Not sure school would be happy about it being used in class, but it sure would open kids' eyes to some French history and the power of French hip hop. I don't agree with everything in the lyrics, but the whole tune is amazing. This is the version with subtitles, for the hard of understanding.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Elf of Safety, the short answer would have been 'no'

But where's the fun in that??? 🙂

Duntmatter; I'm too young to watch that apparently. And have you seen the email I sent you earlier?

OmarLittle
    Free Member

The Cut Killer mix of Ediaf Piaf and NTM in La Haine is one of my favourite tracks (don't think its on the soundtrack album though?)

ciron
    Free Member

+1 saian super crew

Great live. Hey Yo My Man with Roots Manuva is brilliant.

MrAgreeable

SSC are great live – think a hip hop version of the dance class from Fame, with better music. Someone will be along in a second to recommend the Le Flow compilation albums – bit cheesy for my taste but not a bad introduction.

I know it's not hip hop but check out L'Histoire De Melody Nelson by Serge Gainsbourg – a pervy old man rambling over the top of some amazing orchestral funk. It's great.

aP
    Free Member

A couple of years ago whilst in Toulouse I bought some contemporary French rap + pop music including IAM, Sinik and Diam's. I must admit I don't listen to them a lot.

…might have to give Keny Arkana a listen

petestuart
    Free Member

+1 TTC – they've done quite a bit with Modeselektor which is really good

Luther
    Free Member

Bouge De La by MC Solaar was a classic (the longer Irie Mix has a cool rap) and his first few albums were good

Also Je Danse Le Mia by IAM is worth checking out and the video is good too

La Funk Mob put out (as the name would suggest) some funky stuff too

And O.P.I.D. by Soon-E MC.

juan
    Free Member

MC solar, but the old stuff.
    IAM is a very good value (specially if you can understand all the references).
    There is an album (Troisième oeil) produced by Akenathon from IAM very good
    There is NTM with Joey starr, but it's kinda agressive.
    Section d'assault (dito the SO)
    Assassins
    That all I can remember. If I look on the back of the music from the film "yamakasi" I get
    diziz la peste
    MASS
    FDY phenomen
    Bustaflex
    SOFY
    Stomy bugsy (that's hip hop for broken heart teenage girl)
    and Doc Genyco.
    Sorry I am more of a rock boy

EDIT last summer with the SO we were pi$$ing ourselves with laughter each time we got to see the ads for "Pitt Bull" live… Maybe worth a try

julianwilson
    Free Member

All above are good, I have a particular soft spot for the 3rd 4th and 5th solaar albums, saian supa crew and massilia sound system as a soundtrack to great times past. (sniffs)

This would seem like a good place to start though. Plenty of great stuff in there. Baffling lyrics for my 'not lived there for 12 years' ears though! 😳

yunki
    Free Member

The Cut Killer mix of Ediaf Piaf and NTM in La Haine is one of my favourite tracks

+1

La Haine is one of my favourite films full stop..

There are some very talented French hip hop acts.. I can never REALLY dig them though cos I'm not really a huge fan of listening to lyric driven music if I can't understand the words..

FWIW though.. I heartily recommend the 'MENU' and 'MENU kebab' compilations from big cheese records

julianwilson
    Free Member

I seem to recall Doc Gynéco having some rather risqué turns of phrase 😆 Not sure how 'down with the kids' he will be these days, like a sort of hip hop Jethro!

julianwilson
    Free Member

Juan,

do you mean this Pitbull??

Mon dieu.

juan
    Free Member

Julian the bald bloke yes
    😀

julianwilson
    Free Member

My word, he really is quite appalling! 😆
    Like a tough looking Francky Vincent. 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Sage Francis is supported by B Dolan on this tour. Fab. Seeing them in Brighton.

hora
    Free Member

MC Solaar though this is going back a long way!

I still have Qui sème le vent récolte le tempo at home bought in Charles De Gaule Airport on my way back from College work experience in France 😀

Prose Combat is timeless- It'll still sound fresh in another 15yrs time as well.

bassspine
    Free Member

some intriguing links appearing here…not the time or place to follow them 🙁 I'll have to come back later and have a listen.

hora
    Free Member

Try driving on long journey with Prose Combat in the CD player – you really do chill 🙂

Raggasonic were one of the first French hip-hop/rap acts I heard (early-mid 90s).

ocrider

Hocus Pocus jazzy french stuff
    Oxmo Puccino far mellower than NTM!

DezB
    Free Member

La Rumeur

Just discovered them because of this thread. Great stuff.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Hiphop français?’ is closed to new replies.