Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 130 total)
  • HiFi breakthrough
  • aracer
    Free Member

Although is something physical that is real and can be observed/measured. If it makes any real difference to your enjoyment is another matter….
    [/quote]

The disciples don’t believe the measurements (which show a distinct lack of any vertical compliance) any more than the hifi disciples believe the measurements which show a complete lack of difference from expensive digital components. Bicycles and expensive hifi share the lack of compliance to known laws of physics, apparently.

mudshark
    Free Member

I found my kit sounded different depending on which electricity company I used, my current one is quite expensive but you get what you pay for.

ourmaninthenorth

From that HiFiCritic forum linked above (post #72:

Malcolm Steward has offered to teach how to build a good sounding NAS drive. to be published in the next issue ………

And so we get to the point.

Even the usually sensible* people of PFM (the STW of hifi forums) have managed to rack up 6 pages on this topic.

*for hifi people.

wwaswas

my current one is quite expensive but you get what you pay for.

I’ve been dithering over using solar electricity, wind power or fracked gas.

I’m probably going to go down the fracked route as you get a much earthier bass and the wind power stuff makes the flutes sound a bit breathy.

gobuchul
    Free Member

The disciples don’t believe the measurements (which show a distinct lack of any vertical compliance) any more than the hifi disciples believe the measurements which show a complete lack of difference from expensive digital components. Bicycles and expensive hifi share the lack of compliance to known laws of physics, apparently.

aracer – I’m sorry I don’t understand what you mean. Can you explain?

The point I was highlighting was that the movement, bending and flexing of a bike is fairly simple engineering that could be quite accurately modeled or measured. It will also change depending on the type and quantity of materiel used in the construction. This will change how a bike feels or responds.

A directional interconnect on a hifi set up will not make any difference regardless which way you plug it in.

ahwiles
    Free Member

gobuchul – Member

The point I was highlighting was that the movement, bending and flexing of a bike is fairly simple engineering that could be quite accurately modeled or measured.

go ahead and measure it then.

like this:

1: remove the tyres from a hardtail.
    2: measure the BB height (from the floor)
    3: ask your heaviest friend to get on the bike.
    4: measure the BB height again.

(for extra science points, measure the BB height with respect to the hub-heights)

gobuchul
    Free Member

From PFM

It is obvious that SSD is far better than HD. But what only few people know is that the memory chips in SSDs can be modified for even much much better sound.

By the way, devices with MAC address FF:00:00:FF:00:00 also sound better.

That’s only one post from page one!

MrNice
    Free Member

does that MAC address not give you an idea of how serious the writer is being?

NZCol

My word.

wwaswas

You do get a lot less background noise from Write Only Memory (WOM).

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I vote all Naim employees and devotees to be passengers on the B ark.

nedrapier

I remember experimenting with an “Audio enhancer” from Argos once. It cost £20 and was just a pass-through box: interconnects in one end and out the other with an “Active” button on it. No power. Even to my untrained ears there was a very noticeable difference in the sound coming out the other end. Not better, not worse, but different. Not *quite* relevant to OP but thought I’d share.

Erm…

I’ve got one of these on my desk, just delivered this morning. It cost a good slice more than £20, and it doesn’t even have an “Active” button. However, it apparently “provides an award winning audiophile experience far beyond [its] price level.”

We shall see.

nemesis
    Free Member

I remember experimenting with an “Audio enhancer” from Argos once. It cost £20 and was just a pass-through box: interconnects in one end and out the other with an “Active” button on it. No power. Even to my untrained ears there was a very noticeable difference in the sound coming out the other end. Not better, not worse, but different. Not *quite* relevant to OP but thought I’d share.

That’s just a graphic equaliser without any external adjustment (other than the ‘on/off’ one)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

A NAIM representative allowing his name to be used in conjunction with this twiffle is an indication that the ghost of Julian Vereker has finally left the building and that the indications are that the lunatics may indeed have taken over the asylum.

A black day indeed. 🙁

warton
    Free Member

QNAP2 rendered the same song more tunefully. It was more organic and made more sense

Obviously.

GrahamS

Apparently Malcolm Steward has form. This is apparently a deleted post from his blog:

Super SATA Cables on Sale Soon
    Posted by Malcolm Steward on 8/17/10 • Categorized as Audio

Critical SATA

The Super SATA cables I recently tested proved to be real shockers. Every logical thought was telling me that the wires that transmit the raw digital data between a hard disk and the motherboard in a NAS simply could not influence the sound that emerged from the player – after the music has already subsequently passed through metres of CAT5.

But they do.

I listened to the cables in my NAS feeding my Naim HDX/DAC/XPS and clearly identified easily perceptible improvements through my highly revealing active Naim DBL system. Quite what it is that wrought these improvements I do not know. My only guess is that the Super SATAs reject interference significantly better than the standard cables and in so doing lower the noise floor revealing greater low-level musical detail and presentational improvements in the soundstage and the ‘air’ around instruments.

The most marked and worthwhile difference, I felt, was in the increased naturalness in both the sound of instruments and voices, which seemed more organic, human and less ‘electronic’, and in the music’s rhythmical progression, which was also more natural and had the realistic ebb and flow that musicians exhibit when playing live. In short, recordings sounded more like musical performances then recordings.

As you can see the cables do not look anything special even though they are far more robust than the standard issue flat cables, and they are are irradiated, I am told, to vapourise any moisture that has found its way into the molecular structure of the conductors.

The photo here shows the original, Generation 1 cable but there is now a more advanced, wider bandwidth Generation 2 version that is soon going to be available from the same American manufacturer. They will, of course, be more expensive than ‘ordinary’ SATA cables – the red and grey insulated flat cables that come free with hard disks or sell for around £2.99. But their superior performance easily justifies the extra expense.

When I have a definite price on the new cables and the URL from which they will be able to be purchased, I will post the information here. I cannot wait: I only have one of the generation 1 cables and wanted a dozen more for other hard disks and SATA peripherals. Now there is a supposedly ‘better’ version I cannot wait to evaluate it and if it is, as I am told, substantially superior, get my order in for a dozen of those.

I have disabled Comments on this post so that respectable visitors do not have to read the remarks made by a small number of extremely ignorant, rude, malicious and disingenuous individuals who cannot tolerate people expressing opinions that do not concur with their own.

More here: http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=83093

nemesis
    Free Member

I have disabled Comments on this post so that respectable visitors do not have to read the remarks made by a small number of extremely ignorant, rude, malicious and disingenuous individuals who cannot tolerate people expressing opinions that do not concur with their own. my completely BS statements can’t be picked apart with facts

FTFH

Cougar

And so we get to the point.

As someone else said, it’s hard to know whether they’re knowingly talking bobbins or genuinely believe this guff due to their own “far from scientific” testing. The fact that they’ve borrowed a bloke in PR rather than, say, a sound engineer speaks (sorry) volumes though.

The move to digital has to be a threat to hifi manufacturers. More and more of their lucrative markets are drying up. Time was your average joe who was “into” his AV (like, say, me) would cheerfully drop twenty quid on a high quality interconnect; your serious audiophiles would pay considerably more. With all-digital media streaming over Ethernet the need for a high quality source and expensive interconnects has disappeared overnight. That’s got to smart. But as Breatheeasy of this parish suggested earlier, if they can convince the masses that this stuff still makes any difference then they’re in like flynn with a branded audiophile NAS with a 1000% markup.

Cougar

Malcolm Steward has form

He’s very careful to make bold statements like

“But they do.”

on a line of its own, and then bury backpedalling caveats like “… I do not know. My only guess is that…” in the body text.

After reading that, I’m convinced he’s either dishonest or incompetent. And I’m leaning towards the former. Poor show.

Cougar

the Super SATAs reject interference significantly better than the standard cables and in so doing lower the noise floor

This is smoke and mirrors surely. He’s (intentionally?) confusing electrical interference with audio noise. SATA has error checking; what leaves the platter ends up at the host controller, by definition, otherwise data centres around the world would be about as reliable as PC-DOS running Stacker. If there’s so much “noise” – ie, interference – that the signal degenerated beyond what ECC could cope with, you wouldn’t end up with a loss of depth or a muddy bassoon or whatever, you’d either get an error telling you the source was on its arse, or the whole thing would crash.

Coming soon, a PR rep from NAIM tells us he can hear data collisions on a CSMA/CD network unless they use audio-grade Ethernet cables. Better get an ioniser for the air in the room to increase saturation for the WiFi whilst you’re at it.

Once again. THIS IS NOT AUDIO. THIS IS DATA. 1 GOES IN, 1 COMES OUT. 0 GOES IN, 0 COMES OUT. If it doesn’t do this, it’s broken.

wwaswas

It does seem that a lot of audiophiles apply analogue thinking to digital sources.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I note the thread on the NAIM forum has been suspended…

GrahamS

There are at least two folk on that PFM forum that fall for it. (See post #37 and 38).

“I’ve built my own NAS, following a recipe elsewhere on the net. And found that “small” differences in wiring and fan settings affect the music. As does the operating system configuration. And different UPnP music servers sound different. These differences are all repeatable.”

The fan settings. 😆 Amazing stuff.

ourmaninthenorth

@ Mr Nice – quite so. Thought that was rather obvious.

There’s a fair bit of audiotwattery on PFM, but nowhere near as bad as some of the other places.

And the Naim forum looks like it remains a work of genius. As a friend of mine once said: “You could give them a condom with a hole through it and they’d still tell you it was better than industry standard.”

Foo indeed.

JCL
    Free Member

It’s the biggest BS racket out there. 99% marketing based.

rusty90
    Free Member

I’m convinced he’s either dishonest or incompetent. And I’m leaning towards the former.

I’m leaning towards both.

leffeboy

Bit fatigue is a well known phenomena, hence the need for Bit Recycling

Well, that’s partly true – at least the bit fatigue part is (appears to be). I was talking to someone about long term archiving of some historical documents and they were saying that in many ways paper and other physical media last longer than modern media that weren’t really designed to last hundreds of years. Where they have to store stuff or archive electronic media then they have a process of ‘massaging’ the data to make sure that it stays recorded long term.

wwaswas

they have a process of ‘massaging’ the data to make sure that it stays recorded long term.

So in a hundred years time there might be a happy ending?

bigjim

I keep my mp3s on 5.25 inch floppies as the soundstage is so much more open and dynamic, with more presence in the space around instruments.

I have to compress to 96 bitrate but it’s worth it.

oldnpastit

If there’s a difference, it’s because one of those NAS units is generating electrical interference which is being coupled into the analog parts of the circuit later on.

(And if it is, then it should probably have failed its EMC testing).

EDIT: or it’s nonsense.

leffeboy

So in a hundred years time there might be a happy ending?

small snigger there 🙂

Cougar

I was talking to someone about long term archiving of some historical documents and they were saying that in many ways paper and other physical media last longer than modern media that weren’t really designed to last hundreds of years.

It’s my understanding that magnetic media is susceptible to this. Data on magnetic storage is, as the name would suggest, basically lots of tiny little magnets all magnetised in a particular way. They’re weak enough that they don’t affect each other day to day, but what’s going to happen to millions of tiny little magnetic fields held in close proximity to each other for a couple of millennia I wouldn’t like to speculate.

Optical media has its own problems. It doesn’t suffer from EM issues like a tape would, but I’ve seen cheap media where the data substrate has started to delaminate after a few months, let alone years. CDs etc are quite robust, in so far as the playing side is polycarbonate (the same stuff them make bulletproof glass out of), but the bit that holds the data is a thin reflective layer on the label side and that’s relatively delicate.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If there’s a difference, it’s because one of those NAS units is generating electrical interference which is being coupled into the analog parts of the circuit later on.

people I have seen playing around with different USB drives and similar seem to have reached the same conclusion – one guy reckons that the use of ferrite rings helps nullify any differences.

aracer
    Free Member

The shelf life for recordable CDs / DVDs isn’t anywhere near as long as people think. Not sure about the mechanism involved, but I wouldn’t rely on it for more than 5-6 years, even on quality media.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The shelf life for recordable CDs / DVDs isn’t anywhere near as long as people think. Not sure about the mechanism involved, but I wouldn’t rely on it for more than 5-6 years, even on quality media.

a mate did some research on this when he was at the central elec research labs and I think cds could be about 30 years, but that went down to more like 10 years once they have been printed on.

leffeboy

It’s my understanding that magnetic media is susceptible to this…

I think all media is but it’s not even just that. When you see that even the tapes of the original moon landing suffered from not having equipment to read them you realise how quickly the whole information ‘package’ decays and you could end up with the wonderfully bizarre situation of needing a digital rosetta stone to work out the particular encoding mechanism that was used because that bit wasn’t stored alongside the info. It’s funny to think that because stuff was special enough to be written down it lasts for 1000s of years but now that we produce casts screeds of info. daily we may have more of a problem

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

paper tape is the answer…

leffeboy

paper tape is the answer…

or punch cards.
    …drifts off wistfully to the good old days….
    edit: remembers ‘hanging chads’ 🙁

jairaj

The shelf life for recordable CDs / DVDs isn’t anywhere near as long as people think.

Isn’t that just damage from UV rays?

As long as you store them in the dark they should last a lot longer?

kayla1
    Free Member

I think that’s potatoes.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘HiFi breakthrough’ is closed to new replies.