Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 167 total)
  • Hey Roadies! Look what I got!
  • Shibboleth
    Free Member

Just been to pick up my Cervélo R5 VWD, got to say, it’s the most beautifully finished frameset, absolutely gorgeous.

It’s going to be built with 2013 Dura Ace 11 speed mechanical groupset, just need to decide on bars, stem and wheels. It comes with a 3T Dorica seatpost, so it would be nice to match to that, but 3T bars look fairly overpriced compared to the competition, so any suggestions greatly received.

I can get the Easton EC70 carbon bars for sensible money and I like the EA70s I have on my other bike. Anything else I should look at?

And wheels… I’m thinking Dura Ace C24s or C35s as they’re going to be a do-it-all wheel rather than race-day specials. But a lot of people are suggesting the Ksyrium R-SYS (a lot more expensive) or I’ve also got an option for a pair of Enve carbons – used but handy money…

milleboy
    Free Member

You used to have too much money…………

Very nice!

Kit
    Free Member

Suspension post, 800mm bars, forks and 2.35 High Rollers

😉

(Very nice BTW, and I’m not even into road bikes!)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

but 3T bars look fairly overpriced compared to the competition, so any suggestions greatly received.

Compared to a Cervelo and DA9000?

crankman
    Free Member

Very, very nice. Nice workstand, nice chairs, you must be one hell of a guy.

oldgit
    Free Member

Skirting board under the door?

1981miked
    Free Member

You can’t have just picked it up.. It is dark outside in the picture.

Nice looking frame though..

Cushion needs attention and fluff or thread on floor. 😉

1981miked
    Free Member

Oh and the plastic bit that fits in the forks for packaging is on the floor..

Please be more observant in future.. 🙄

crikey
    Free Member

He’s even got posh red hacksaw blades, like the Queen uses!

TimothyD
    Free Member

What about Fulcrum Racing 3s? From what I can gather they get great reviews for being light and strong and good value.

meehaja
    Free Member

Well! Someone’s had an extension built! Conservatory sir?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

You can’t have just picked it up.. It is dark outside in the picture.

The “outside” you can see is actually the dining room. The pic was taken in my conservatory which admittedly, could do with more cleaning and less bike building!

3T carbon bars are around the 200 quid mark, and I fail to see how they’re 2.5-3 times better than the Eastons…

1981miked
    Free Member

Snob.. Can’t make do with rusty hacksaw blades like the rest of us..

TimothyD
    Free Member

They’d be red too.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

What about Fulcrum Racing 3s? From what I can gather they get great reviews for being light and strong and good value.

I was talking to the mechanic at Merlin, he said Fulcrum wheels come back for warranty repairs/replacements than any other wheel!

I like the reliability of Shimano and the 3-year warranty and crash replacement of Mavic… What to do????

muckytee
    Free Member

Nice cushion

1981miked
    Free Member

No excuse.. And a likely story!

Lies.. All lies… Seriously tho. Nice frame mate. Pondering over a road bike just now. Would love to custom build like I do on my mountain bikes but the wallet says no.

crikey
    Free Member

Zipp 404s. The Queen uses them.

TimothyD
    Free Member

After polished alloy for bike parts being the only proper colour for road bikes, red is somewhere high up on the list I think. :o)

eyerideit
    Free Member

Liking the Eames lounger and footstool, is it a Vitra licensed version?

Bike’s nice too, post up a pic of it when it’s done so I can have a drool look.

TimothyD
    Free Member

Oh, that’s a shame, been thinking of Fulcrum 3s for a while. Boo. Might go the handbuilt wheel route on reliable hubs instead.

dirtyrider
    Free Member
    crankman
    Free Member

He’s even got posh red hacksaw blades, like the Queen uses!

😆

Mister-P
    Free Member

Third one I have seen today 😉 I still want one though.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Zipp 404s.

I had considered 303s but they’re silly money… And I wouldn’t really want to use something that deep every weekend round the Pennines!

And I believe the Queen uses Enve – she’s a Chris King fan 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pondering over a road bike just now. Would love to custom build like I do on my mountain bikes but the wallet says no.

IME it’s even closer than MTB’s. Especialy as cheep bikes come with nasty wheels and tyres (so that’s £200+ at least), and expensive ones come with nice wheels which you wont want to ruin.

redted
    Free Member

Got to do the collar and cuff thing if it has 3T forks, Shimano RS80 C24’s are light and great value? The money saved on those put towards 3T bars and stem and sleep easy knowing everything matches?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Might go the handbuilt wheel route on reliable hubs instead.

Those Wheelsmith handbuilts with CX-Ray spokes are very well reviewed, but I want something a bit blingy for this… I’m a brand snob when it comes to roadbikes!! 😳

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

For wheels I’d go with the Shimano options or the Enve, I don’t rate Mavic for road wheels anymore, too expensive. I have a pair of Dura CL24’s for 3 years now and they’ve been faultless.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Got to do the collar and cuff thing if it has 3T forks, Shimano RS80 C24’s are light and great value? The money saved on those put towards 3T bars and stem and sleep easy knowing everything matches?

If the collar and cuffs are important, then it HAS to be the DA C24/35s so the hubs match the groupset! Being fussy just cost me another 300 quid!

redted
    Free Member

Kinger’s HED Ardennes on King hubs in the classifieds for £450, light and strong for Pennine use?

Mister-P
    Free Member

As much as I liked my RS80s you cannot put them on a VWD.

mooman
    Free Member

…. getting the urge for new bike frame .. and Christmas soon too..

Beautiful looking frame. Envy!

tonyd

Lovely frame. I looked at the R3 a few years ago but couldn’t afford it along with the rest of the build so went with a Storck.

Wheels – I have Fulcrum Racing 1s and have had no issues at all with them in nearly 5 years. I’m currently doing 100+ miles a week commuting on them too so they’ve racked up a good few miles.

sefton
    Free Member

oh you bastard! hope you paid half price???

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Are those anti-gravity forks?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

sefton – Member

oh you bastard! hope you paid half price???

Sure did. I was about to click “buy” on a Spesh Tarmac SL4, but I wasn’t getting excited about it – a bit Ford Mondeo for my taste, but I do think it’s an amazing frame. But then I saw this at half price and, seeing as the R5 is my dream bike, I got my name down straight away.

Got it from Wheelbase at Stavely.

And no, not antigravity forks – there’s a rubber seal in the headset top cup that grips the steerer very tight…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Saddle looks like a bit of bollock-crusher.

tonyd

Cancel that, £10 more for new on Wiggle.

crikey
    Free Member

What kind of hoover will you be using to bodge the crown race on?

Bet you’ve got a posh hoover too….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 167 total)

The topic ‘Hey Roadies! Look what I got!’ is closed to new replies.