Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Here we go again, Log or Gas Burners & show me your log storage……..
  • Rochey
    Free Member

OK, first of all “Sorry” for going over the same old ground but Mrs R is looking at getting one.

So we are looking to get a fire, not sure weather to go Gas or Log,

We currently live in a 1963, usual 3 bed semi with Conversatory.

Gas is clean, turn on, turn off etc etc etc.
    Log looks nice, I love the idea but not sure if we would use it as much as poss to much work etc.

So I thought I would ask the STW massive and see what people use/got.

Thanks in advance and if available send me pics of your fire and log stores.

Thanks again

Rochey

trail_rat
    Free Member

Took me a while to covert mrs tr to the log burner

How ever shes slowely beginning to realise its the quickest way to heat the room and it doesnt take much work if you do it right.

Come in at night , throw in some paper , some kindling and a log or two- stick a match in and go. Far far easier then my parent open fire when i was younger.

If your chopping your own wood it gets tiresome. I do it occasionally but as you say work etc etc , found a good local supplier and just let them delivery pre split and i just store it to dry,

br
    Free Member

If you’ve Gas CH then a log burner should be purely for decoration, because unless you’ve a free log supply – it’ll be dearer.

And:

Logs are stored in my garage, its not airtight and pretty open.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

You need to find a good dry source of fuel long before you buy a stove.

It’s not for everyone, but I couldn’t imagine life without a real fire, it’s a primal caveman thing.

johndoh
    Free Member

I hate McMoonter. I really do.

McMoonter, can I live with you?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Better the devil you know 😕

Rochey
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, still more advice needed.

chewkw
    Free Member

mcmoonter I like the look of your retro “TV” (2nd pic) … 😀

Also how long does it take you to collect all those logs? Do you keeping buying them from your local supplier?

🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Also how long does it take you to collect all those logs? Do you keeping buying them from your local supplier?

It’s taken a while to build up my log piles, a few years in reality. I used to get free bundles of the waste the saw mill produced. They were around a ton and a half and in fourteen feet lengths which I then cut up. Then demand meant that they could no longer give them away, and they charged me £20 a load. Which I still thought was a fair price given a lot of it was hardwood. Now they process and kiln dry it for sale, so I’ve had to look elsewhere for wood to burn. That’s what mountain biking is for.

The Retro TV stove is a Dovre Vintage 50, it’s a great stove that kicks out a hell of a heat. I was going to get a second one for the entrance hall here, but the price had gone up over a thousand pounds more than what I’d paid for the white one, so I went for the Astroline, which I think is an even better stove. Since they’ve dropped the price again. These guys sell them a lot cheaper than their web price if you are interested in one. Just phone for a quote.

http://www.fireplaceproducts.co.uk/dovre-stoves/dovre-vintage-50-wood-stove/

Harry_the_Spider

Rochey
    Free Member

Any more.

bedmaker

Here’s mine again
    [/url]
    DSCF0373 by LOVATSTOVES, on Flickr[/img]

ononeorange

Just cannot get mine to burn. Another hour tonight and yet again it’s just given up. When we first got it, it used to go really well. Grrrrr!

timber

ooo – ever had the chimney swept?
    alternatively, if you have, try some scrunched paper on top to help warm the flue and get it drawing.

ononeorange

We are due a sweep so maybe give that a go. Will go and try the paper trick now.

It lights really well but as soon as the first big log goes on – that’s it.

bedmaker

sounds like the first big log is wet ononeorange

ononeorange

Could be. They all hiss like enraged snakes which makes me suspicious it is damp wood.

Finally going now – at last – thanks for the advice – rolled up paper trick excellent.

br
    Free Member

Get a moisture meter.

And where do you get your wood from?

ononeorange

Local guy from a sawmill.

I just went and replaced the battery in the moisture meter. It’s coming out between 25% and 40% – which I think is a little high, no?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I would say that hissing is bad news and the reluctance to burn confirms it. You have damp wood. Is opening a bottom vent an option? Just a bit.

br
    Free Member

Local guy from a sawmill.

I just went and replaced the battery in the moisture meter. It’s coming out between 25% and 40% – which I think is a little high, no?

Yep. You are ok to buy from him, but for next years’ use (after storing/seasoning/drying it) 🙂

We buy kiln-dried, its a little dearer but running at 1-5%, burns like a bu99er and I don’t want to screw-up a new £2k flue.

spchantler
    Free Member

don’t get one. you will hate it, worst thing we ever did. :wink:..besides, there’s not much wood around these days…(scuttles off to get more)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Here we go again, Log or Gas Burners & show me your log storage……..’ is closed to new replies.