Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hernia Track World! pain +100
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

Post hernia surgery and as the anaesthetic wears off I’m finding it hard to even get off the bed now

Had surfers ear surgery twice in the past but this pain is a whole new level, absolutely off the chart 😯 much codeine and diclofenic on deck to hopefully quell it a little.

I recall diclofenic being uber harsh on the stomach acid though ❓

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Any experience of easing back onto the bike too?

bikemanspen
    Free Member

I had the mesh repair done jan 2013 I was In pain for the first week (burning tearing sensation) I went bk too work after 2.5 weeks and took it easy as I’m a Bricky!
    I wasn’t riding much at the time anyway so wasn’t in a rush to get bk on the bike!
    I would say you yourself will kind of know when’s best but don’t rush bk it’s not worth it.

divenwob
    Free Member

As above, take it easy, give it a chance to heal.I had mine done 20 years ago and ended up with balls the size of a melon! You will feel how much and when,good luck with a speedy recovery.

backinireland
    Free Member

I had tramadol but freaked me out a bit so stuck with cocodamol and voltarol ibuprofen

Worst bit was constipation and first dump, would advise eating loads fibre and drink plenty water. Codeine not good for that…

maccruiskeen

The problem with asking for other peoples experiences is there are dozens of different hernias, the surgical procedures for them are different and the procedures from one hospital to another differ too depending on where and when the surgeon trained. Add to that your own anatomy – where there were any adhesions for instance – complicating the surgery and the only common story is everyones experiences will be different – particularly in respect to recovery time and even how complete the recovery might be

But in general terms diclofenic is harsh on your stomach so don’t take it on an empty stomach, codeine bungs you up and that can lead to more discomfort than the drugs can counteract, so take laxatives. Learn to swear at ‘traffic calming’ measures when you’re out in a car (don’t be at the wheel until you’re off the codeine – it messes you up more than you are aware of, and for a good week or so after the anaesthetic too) . If its a mesh type repair you should be as good as new (or rather, better than new) pretty much from the outset, once initial wounds have healed, so take comfort in in the fact that any pain is only pain, you’re not going to come undone with any excursion. If you’ve had open surgery though then more care is required – I once read advice that you shouldn’t even raise your voice!.

MrOvershoot

Oh you’ll be fine had 2 for the price of 1 in 2010.
    Full open up & mesh jobs on an inguinal & Umbilical hernias I had left for a bit too long :/
    Ended up with an infection in the umbilical & a hematoma in the inguinal but 6 weeks later I was back at work and its been fine since,
    Yes it hurts a bit for the first week but then its just being careful and not straining things 😉

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Thanks guys,

In a lot more pain than I anticipated, had the tension free repair method at The British Hernia centre and the hardest part right now is sitting upright from bed or getting out of a chair. Can’t see me driving for a while given the current level of pain.

Already swapped the diclofenac for ibuprofen due to stomach pain, but using the co-codemal still.

Hoping the pain subides a little in a few days!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Hang in there chap, it will get better.

I’ve just been for my first run since the op in mid Feb. Had open surgery to repair the damage I did after the laprascopic op, which I ruined by moving a tonne and a half of logs whilst off my head on tramadol, so was told, in no uncertain terms to take it steady this time.

So, I made sure I had as little pain relief as I could stand and as soon as it began to hurt, I stopped what I was doing and rested. Was back at work in a few days (sitting down job).

Your own body will dictate the speed of recovery if you listen to it.

woody21
    Free Member

Unfortunately I had three for the price of two, first double inguinal hernia – two nights in hospital in 2007 and then in 2010 a Spegellian hernia – apparently a bit of a rarity. The last operation was in and out of hospital the same day. I was off the bike for six weeks of so, I was told by the Dr that cycling was good at strengthening the muscles., couldn’t drive for two weeks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hernia Track World! pain +100’ is closed to new replies.