Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Full sus trail bike with a long top tube?
  • chrisdw
    Free Member

I have now ridden a fair few frames but for some reason they all seem to follow the trait of having very short top tubes.

I am currently on a Ragley MmmBop but looking to upgrade to a full sus in the not too distant future. (Went back to hardtail a year ago and regret it!)

What full sus trail bikes out there have fairly long top tubes? I’m bored of all this short top tube malarkey now!

Superficial
    Free Member

Yetis have massive top tubes compared to almost anything else I’ve found.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Trek fuel ex are pretty long too

maldwynyefe
    Free Member

Yetis have massive top tubes compared to almost anything else I’ve found. 8)

Matt24k
    Free Member

Most people go down one frame size on a Yeti as they are long.

soulman

How tall are you and what length do you need? Whyte 146 in a large has a 624mm top tube

PJM1974
    Free Member

Specialized? My old Enduro has a lovely long top tube in addition to being quite low to the ground too. It’s usefully longer than my (large) Wolf Ridge.

I don’t like short top tubes much either, the benefits of snappy handling are more than offset when you smack your knees on the shifters pedalling up hills. I’m not massively tall at 5′ 11″ but I seem to get on better with longer bikes too.

Bregante

My Enduro SL was very long in the top tube compared to my current bike.

steviepcommencal
    Free Member

My whyte e120 had a long top tube compared to other bikes I have owned

captaindanger

Gary fisher (I think)

lucien

+ 1 for Specialized, Canyon also come up big

dickie
    Free Member

What size & travel are you thinking? Budget?
    5’11” as above, Scott’s & Giant’s are either too small in medium or too big in large.
    I have a Turner DW Flux in large which fits well, but would also look at Trek Fuel EX.
    Really depends what your after, a Santa Cruz Heckler is shorter than a Blur XC so it depends what your after.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Cotic Rocket?

JamieMc
    Free Member

Another for specialized. I had a 2009 Stumpy FSR and it had a pretty long top tube.

stumpy01

As already mentioned, Specialized & Trek.

althepal

Have a large 575 and noticed the difference straight away compared to my old large sized enduro..

chakaping
    Free Member

Forget about the stated sizes (S, M, L) and look at the actual frame dimensons on the bikes you’re interested in.

I went for a large Foxy last year (I’m usually medium) to get a longer TT.

Because Mondrakers all have very low standover I could ride it fine despite having shortish legs.

Just a thought.

br
    Free Member

A friend has bought a Yeti SB66 based upon many demo’s, he’s over 6′ and a lanky build (same as me). He found many of the bikes he rode short – esp. Santa Cruz’s.

I had an older Enduro (06), found that short too.

I would demo lots if I was you.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Agree about Yetis, Cotic Rocket, also Orange’s are nicely long, ST4 + five.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Cannondale

AlexSimon

A lot of bikes with dropped top tubes for low standover (with the mast or gusset to the seat tube), can be up-sized without any penalty.
    Turners for example. They mostly just get longer with larger sizes.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Full sus trail bike with a long top tube?’ is closed to new replies.