Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Help with Stolen wheel on 1 day old bike :(
  • leigh1989
    Free Member

Hey all

Please excuse my huge lack of knowlage but hoping you can all help me out as we all share the same enthuism,

I recently ( Last week ) purchased a bike through ride to work scheme and its been 6 years since i had a bike.

Today my first day i rode it to work and i took my front wheel off once at work and locked it up , Unfortunatly due to my luck i didnt think of the back one and had it stolen and it couldnt have struck at a worser time.

I had the rear wheel taken and it was all on camara but i wont see it again , im not a hardcore rider but i do like a nice ride through the woods. I’m fussy on looks ie i would want both wheels macthing , I may have located the wheel i need from a company called onyerbike in lancashire where i live, how ever what else will i need ??

I have listed what i should need i maybe wrong ?

Im looking to get identical bits if possible.

sunrace cassette 11-32 tooth
    Tektro rear novela disc with rota
    wheel alex 24dm wheel

and also the quick release pin.

Can any kind people help me locate as much as possible for as little as possible , currently i feel like crying but it could have been worse. i will certainly learn from my mistake 🙁

Spec is bellow

Frame:
    Alloy Suspension frame
    Rear Shock:
    Kind Shock KS-290 Alloy Coil over/oil damped, floating pistol
    Fork:
    Suntour XCM 120mm travel, preload adjust
    Front Derailleur:
    Shimano Altus M311
    Rear Derailleur:
    SRAM X4
    Number of Gears:
    Shifters:
    SRAM X4 trigger
    Chainset:
    Suntour XCT V3
    Chainrings:
    42/32/22 tooth
    Bottom Bracket:
    Tange steel cartridge BB JIS
    Cassette:
    Sunrace 11-32 tooth, 8 speed
    Chain:
    KMC Z72
    Pedals:
    Mongoose alloy platform
    Front Brake:
    Tektro Novela mechanical disc with 160mm rotor
    Rear Brake:
    Tektro Novela mechanical disc with 160mm rotor
    Brake Levers:
    ProMax Alloy with adjuster
    Handlebars:
    Mongoose alloy riser
    Stem:
    Mongoose Alloy
    Headset:
    FPD 1 1/8 Zero Stack
    Rims:
    Alex TD24 disc specific double wall rim
    Front Hub:
    Formula Disc Alloy QR 32H
    Rear Hub:
    Formula Disc Alloy QR and freehub 32H
    Spokes:
    14G stainless
    Front Tyre:
    Kenda Komodo 26 x 2.1
    Rear Tyre:
    Kenda Komodo 26 x 2.1
    Saddle:
    Mongoose XC Elite
    Seatpost:
    Mongoose alloy with micro adjust clamp

Kind regards

L

BHINDLE1963@BTINTERNET.COM

leigh1989
    Free Member

Any genuine help would be greatful as i want to get back on the bike soon 🙁

even any help on if i have not listed somthing that i would need???

Thanks

mboy
    Free Member

The good news (if there is any to having anything stolen!) is that your rear wheel is a very standard fit part. So it will be easy to get hold of something similar to do the job.

Any standard 6 bolt disc rear wheel will be fine, then you just need to get the right sized brake rotor (probably a 160mm), an 8spd cassette for it, and a tyre and inner tube.

I’ve had a quick look, and I can’t find any mega cheap single rear wheels, so ebay may be worth a look, or keep looking on the internet. A disc rotor shouldn’t cost you much more than £10 though, an 8spd cassette about £15, and tyre and inner tube anywhere from about £12 upwards.

mboy
    Free Member

The other option, if you do still want both wheels matching, would be to buy a new pair of wheels, then keep your existing front as a spare.

This will only work out slightly more expensive than buying a single rear wheel (the front is the cheaper of the two anyway), and will be easier than finding a wheel to match exactly what you have already.

For instance, the following would do the trick nicely…

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Wheels/Mountain+Bike+Wheels/Sale+Wheels/Pair+Shimano+495+Disc+Hubs+-+Sun+Equalizer_495-WHEEL-OFFER.htm

As they’re centrelock, you’d need adapters for the rotors (or centrelock rotors) but these can be picked up cheaply.

leigh1989
    Free Member

Thanks Mboy !

Hoping i can get somthing that matches up very simlar to my other wheel if not i will buy a set as its one day old and much prefare it matching,

Any specific places best to order my bits from etc ?

And the bits i listed above am i right in saying thats all i need.

I actually feel like crying so mad and upset 🙁

Thanks for your input 🙂

meehaja
    Free Member

As above, if you are going to buy a new matching wheel, you will pay over the odds slightly and a pair wil work out as better value.

8speed cassette should be fairly cheap from a good local bike shop, likewise a tyre and tube etc.

Tough break with having your wheel stolen, it must be really infuriating, especially as you haven’t had the bike long!

tomd
    Free Member

If you don’t want an exact match you could spec a wheel that looks similar. So go onto merlin.co.uk or chainreactioncycles.com and choose a hub, spoke and rim colour to match.

If you don’t want it to happen again, you can change the quick release skewers for allen key skewers. It’s not much of deterrent but just makes it that bit harder for someone to take. Either that or a long thin cable to feed through the wheels and attach to the main lock.

Sorry to hear about it feel your pain.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Help with Stolen wheel on 1 day old bike :(’ is closed to new replies.