Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • help with goodridge fittings please
  • sadexpunk

hi

having a bit of trouble getting the fittings on the hose. dont think it matters, but its hope braided hose, apparently the same stuff.

firstly im assuming i fit the metal bits on the left of this pic, over the ends of the hose? as far up as poss? i tried to do this but ive ended up making a hole in the plastic outer, through gripping it too tight to push into the end >-( does this matter? or is the braided hose good enough without the plastic outer? if not ill have to chop a bit off and start again.

but if it IS good enough, im still trying to get the threaded banjo bolt started on the hose which is inside that end. it just wont bite 🙁

am i doing it wrong? are there any little tricks to getting it all connected?

cheers

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

IIRC (did mine a couple of years ago) you have to remove a bit of the plastic outer for the metal sleeve to go on.

..I think

sadexpunk

hmmm just found some instructions online that say yep, youre right. ill go do that and see if its any easier. altho i didnt do that on the lever end and its gone in fine 🙂

and i assume that as the plastic gets trimmed up to the fittings, then it doesnt matter too much about any damage to it further down the line?

ta

nodrog2
    Free Member

IIRC hope braided hose is made by goodridge but not actually the same as goodridge hose. The internal diameter of the hose is smaller on the hope stuff. Therefore you may have difficulty threading the goodridge connectors into it.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

iirc you need to peel back 5mm of the outter then put the fittings on then pull the outter back over

kennyNI
    Free Member

When I fitted mine, it specifically said not to trim plastic back.

I heated metal fittings on steam from boiling kettle and pushed them on.

The threading bit is a ****. I clamped hose in vice, not too tight, then using a block of wood pressed down on top of banjo, while turning it with something passed through its eye. Eventually it catches, after a lot of swearing.

Fitted Hel brake lines on new build to avoid the goodridge fitting again.

sadexpunk

the instructions i found stated to cut back 11mm and then attach it all, so thats what ive done, and it seems to have all connected ok.

so now im wondering if i should have done that on the lever end as well. but there again, if the banjo bolt has screwed into it then it must be fine i spose.

thanks 🙂

sadexpunk

hmmmm conflicting views 🙂

i spose it all depends whether the plastic outer is essential in part of the air tight seal.

anyone?

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

the plastic outer is NOT part of a seal, it merely protects your expensive frame from the abrasive hose inside.

You will find differing instructions for Goodridge as up to about 2007 (guesses here) you had to cut off 11mm but from that date onwards they reduced the diameter and put stickers on the box explicitly advising you not to cut off the outer.

Here's how I did it including my tip of screwing in the banjo to the hose BEFORE fitting the compression collar to create the thread. Then remove, fit compression collar and then screw in again.

Adding a tiny drop of brake fluid also acts as a lubricant and makes it easier too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘help with goodridge fittings please’ is closed to new replies.