Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Help with Alps destination
  • peterfile
    Free Member

Currently planning a holiday and struggling with destination.

Flying to Munich for a wedding in Salzburg in August and managed to bolt on an additional week, so we’re heading to Eastern Alps.

I’m trying to find somewhere which ticks the following boxes:

1. Less than 3 hours drive from Munich
    2. Good biking in the area, singletrack and easier DH(uplift a major advantage)
    3. Good climbing (preferably trad/sport, but outstanding VF also considered, plus opportunity for a spot of alpinism a major advantage)
    4. Not absolutely packed in summer, a pretty town is desirable

Any help would be appreciated 🙂

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Schladming fulfills all of those criteria. Its a lovely town and the biking lasts for days and days, no matter what kind of riding you’re into

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Not sure of my German driving times, could be a bit longer than 3 hours, but Lake Garda ticks 1 to 3, and maybe isnt as busy as you think it might be.

The riding is top notch, I havent climbed there, but there is plenty of sports climbing and VF. Alpinism not really an option unfortunately.

bails

Out of interest, what are sports climbing, alpinism and vf?

peterfile
    Free Member

Thanks guys 🙂

Having a look at Schladming at the moment, looks good!

I’ve spent quite a bit of time in Garda when I worked in Italy, love the place, but a bit too far (almost 5 hours drive).

Out of interest, what are sports climbing, alpinism and vf?

Sports = climbing with bolted protection (as opposed to trad)
    Alpinisim = mountaineering
    VF = via ferrata, climbing/mountaineering with sections you’d normally pitch being protected by permanent metal work you clip rather than gear

bajsyckel

Could try Graubuenden area of Switzerland. Basically from Chur in the North, East to the Austrian border, South to the Italian border (ok this includes Engadin region but it’s pretty cool too).

1- Tick.

2- Yup, loads of singletrack, trains post buses and ski lifts at your disposal. A while since I’ve been but ski resorts like Lenzerheide, Flims/Laax etc would be best bets for DH and bike park stuff, loads of bike tour routes (lift/train assisted) round all the ski areas though.

3- Climbing wise there’s quite a lot of sport/trad crags but can be a bit dispersed. VF too – some of which are “sporting” in spds with a bike on yor shoulder. Not too into climbing whilst there so no specifics I’m afraid. Alpinism wise I’m not too sure of what summer challenges would be good. Plenty in winter, decent rock and some spectacular (if not major) peaks so I assume there will be stuff to go at.

4- anywhere other than the main towns is mostly small, “traditional” villages, plenty of goats, cowherds, meadows… Some pretty sweet, quiet luxury places to stay if you’re into that (check out the spa in vals for example) and have the chf.

I’m sure you can find stuff in the S of Germany and Voralberg regions, but I like that area of Switzerland. I’d probably choose to travel round (the area is compact) rather than base myself in one place – maybe check out the biking around Bormio and Livigno which was supposed to be good(?) too. The graubuenden.ch english site is ok – the german one is more useful if you can read basics.

[edit – bails – sports climbing is climbing bolted routes (more or less), alpinism is mountaineering, vf is via ferrata – ladders and steps up exposed rock (usually) where it might be/ is sensible to clip into in-situ protection]

chickenman

Probably more than 4 hours, but you could base yourself near St Moritz and ride nearby or at Livorno. Great climbing and alpinism in the Bregallia (Engardien to german speakers): Just before the swiss border is a cablecar that takes you up to Spazzacaldera which has fantastic 500m granite climbs with a 10 minute walk in. The way Italians (and italian speaking Swiss) bolt their climbs; you can get the trad experience AND the sport climbing one simultaneously!! There is also a hut where you can stay if you want to do the longer routes on the mountains nearby.
    Just down the road is Piz Badile with a couple of the most famous routes in the whole alps on it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Help with Alps destination’ is closed to new replies.