Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Help sought – talking to toddlers…?
  • bananaworld
    Free Member

Going to visit a friend and his wife and their two sons, aged 1 and 3, tomorrow. I’m a wee bit nervous as I don’t really have any experience of kids.

So my question to your fine and experienced minds is: what on Earth do you talk about with toddlers…?

ojom
    Free Member

literally anything you like. they have an amazing imagination.

donsimon
    Free Member

I used to talk politics with my ex’s 2 year old. He didn’t complain.

olie
    Free Member

Its Easter.

Just take an Easter egg then the need to communicate is negated.

bananaworld
    Free Member

I did consider talking random inanities but do wonder about appearing to be a nutter in front of his wife…

Markie
    Free Member

The one year old won’t be talking, the three year old will take any topic and run with it so it doesn’t rally matter. Many three year olds I know also like being turned upside down, FWLIW!

weare138
    Free Member

I entertained my three year old with a story about Harold the clown who stuffed baskets, spagetti and peppers up his jumper (the items were here choice).

TooTall
    Free Member

Take the lead from the parents – easy.

I’d never spoken much to babies – I’ve been a dad for nearly 15 months now and just keep making it all up. Ms TT seems no worse off for my lack of experience in this area.

theotherjonv

go open minded and follow the flow. I’ve had some conversations with my two when they were that age (still do) that make Eddie Izzard’s stream of consciousness stuff seem logical and well thought out.

bruneep

Take something with enough sugar and E numbers to take the 3yr old to the moon, the parents will thank you for days 😉

bananaworld
    Free Member

Its Easter.

Just take an Easter egg then the need to communicate is negated.

Take something with enough sugar and E numbers to take the 3yr old to the moon

I’m actually taking along a batch of cupcakes (which I have been preadvised to perhaps limit the sugar-content of) so maybe if I lavish them in tartrazine green icing sugar it’ll liven the day up…

Thanks for the suggestions, I’m feeling more confident. Please keep ’em coming.

loddrik
    Free Member

I used to be like this until I had my own. Just talk to them like they are adults and they’ll respond pretty much as if you were talking to them as toddlers. theyll talk to you so you won’t need to think of what to say. And neither they or their parents will judge you no matter how well you think it’s going.

Taking something edible and sweet will go down well with the kids, though you might need to clear it with the parents first, though only the most miserable would object.

yunki
    Free Member

what’s all this talk to them drivel..?
    just shout and scream and swear at them until they’re quiet..

molgrips
    Free Member

I read somewhere that there’s no evidence that sugar actually makes them hyper. It cheers them up and excites them, but then so do lots of exciting and nice things.

bruneep

I read somewhere that there’s no evidence that sugar actually makes them hyper. It cheers them up and excites them, but then so do lots of exciting and nice things.

I see a change in my youngest lad when he’s had a high sugar intake

Peyote
    Free Member

I heard/watched/read the same, think there was an experiment on TV with a bunch of kids fed with sugar loaded snacks and another fed on normal foods. The parents weren’t informed which was which and the results indicated no conclusive evidence, except the parents claiming to notice their kids loaded when they weren’t!

if you want to wind ’em up a treat the only way is amphetamines, though that does raise a whole load of ethical/moral questions, not to mention the legal position…

bassspine
    Free Member

loddrik – Member

I used to be like this until I had my own. Just talk to them like they are adults and they’ll respond

this. Try very hard indeed not to talk down to kids, they respond best to proper conversation.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I saw the sugar rush experiment too. However after Seeing how my 15 month old daughter and her 2,4 and 6 year old cousins fired up into life five minutes after Easter egg consumption this afternoon I have to say that the experiment was wrong!

mudpup
    Free Member

And dont forget its scary when giants start talking to you.

I always found it more rewarding when you get down to their height to talk with them – they seem to open up a lot easier. My little one used to love it when i lay on the floor to play with his toys with him.

allthepies
    Free Member

I was a little worried about this when friends/relatives started dropping sprogs. However I’ve taken to it like a duck to water and love it, kids minds are inquisitive and creative and give you lots to work with fairly effortlessly.

martymac

saw a sign in a car park once:
    24hr cctv!
    gaurd dogs!
    daughter read it, thought about it for about 3 seconds,
    “why do you have to gaurd your dogs in here?”
    she was 4.
    pretty much any topic will do, their imagination is awesome at that age.
    just be yourself.*
    *any swear words will be remembered and repeated to the only person the parents dont want to hear them.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Just be yourself. Don’t talk to them as kids or as adults – just talk/play/interact -you may be surprised at how easy it comes to you.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Help sought – talking to toddlers…?’ is closed to new replies.