Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Help needed-stuck bonnet
  • mbr30
    Free Member

Can’t open the bonnet on my golf. It pops when I pull the lever but the flex underneath wont work. I can see that its a double catch but I can’t see how to release the mechanism manually. Anyone got any ideas?! I presume it needs greasing or something

Simwit

Is it a MK5? I had this same problem last week & I had to use a screwdriver to slide the hook to the left to release the catch. The pivot had seized it took a bit of effort to get it to move. After I got the bonnet open I sprayed it liberally with GT85 & worked it back and forth for 5 minutes to get it soaked in.

mbr30
    Free Member

Mk6 but presume its the same. Is that the metal hook which is left of what I’d describe as a bar? (the bit that’s released when you pop it first). Couldn’t quite see how it was meant to work and didn’t want to force it. I’ll have a go though, cheers

Simwit

Yep that’s the one. There’s what I would describe as a plastic handle that you lift to release the catch, this has a ball & socket affair that operates the catch pivot & when the pivot is seized this just flexes. The catch pivots to the left so you have to push the catch to the left to unhook it from the bar that stops it coming up. Mine needed a fair push to move as it had seized but once the bonnet was open I could get hold of it & work the lube in. Hope you get it open.

mbr30
    Free Member

That’s brilliant thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Help needed-stuck bonnet’ is closed to new replies.