Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Help needed. 7spd to 8spd upgrade…
  • 2hottie
    Free Member

Hi All

Can I still use the old 7spd crankset after upgrading the rear to 8spd ie new cassette etc. Also will I need to replace the chain and so on..

Cheers

Scott

midlifecrashes

6/7/8 is usually all the same chain width, so just wider cassette. Worth checking that it's a cassette at the back rather than a freehub. If so you'll just be needing right hand shifter and cassette as a minimum. 9, 10 and 11 speeds all use correspondingly narrower chain and therefore cassette spacing. There were some older hubs that were odd, but pretty rare now.

2hottie
    Free Member

Perfect. I'll look into it. Thanks again.

julianwilson
    Free Member

iirc the cage on an 8 speed front derailleur is slightly narrower/wider (I forget which) than 7 or 9 speed. I wouldn't bother about it if it were me, (I used an 8 speed front mech on 9 speed drivetrain for ages) but if you find it hard getting it not to rub on the front mech when you are at either end of the rear cassette, it might be worth looking into.

The other thing will be your freehub (assuming you are taking a 7 speed cassette off) it need to be wider to accommodate an 8 speed cassette. And they don't make 8 speed freewheels if that's what your current back wheel is. Look it all up on the sheldon brown website for great explanation.

rascal
    Free Member

Might have something for you. 🙂
    Mint used 8 speed XT shifters for sale in Classifieds at the mo. £25 posted – pic link within link below. Cheers

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-goodies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Help needed. 7spd to 8spd upgrade…’ is closed to new replies.